Members Weekly Music Recommendations-July 28

thebes

I t doesn't seem fair that the days are getting shorter already, especially since this summer has held little or no outdoor fun for me. Not a single concert, no weekend out of town, not even a barbecue with friends. Sometimes life can be like that. Too little time away from the daily grind.

At last, however, comes Friday night I can drag my sore limbs and heavy arms to rest in my favorite chair in front of Cornwalls and my precious Marantz 8b.

Funny thing, I never have anything in mind music-wise when I flip the various swithces to get the system up and running. Who knows whhat the night will bring.The same ole-same ole may greet me on Monday morning but on most Friday night's it' the beggining of a magic voyage of musical discovery. And that's how I ended up with this weeks selection:

ZZ Top, "Tres Hombres" . lp. bues. Texas rock meets the blues meet pop and very large beards.. ZZ Top has produced some awesome sounds and some clunkers so bad they shold be tracked down and shot. Still and al, if you are in a certain mood, these guys will fit the bill. Great songs on this one and very well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

ZZ Top, "Tres Hombres" . lp. bues. Texas rock meets the blues meet pop and very large beards.. ZZ Top has produced some awesome sounds and some clunkers so bad they shold be tracked down and shot. Still and al, if you are in a certain mood, these guys will fit the bill. Great songs on this one and very well recorded.

All I can tell is get this DVD ....................

LIVE IN TEXAS : Z Z TOP ................................ DVD .........................2008

If Z Z TOP were to make a live dics, or LP, this is what it would be like. Nuthin' Fancy here, Blues done Texas style ..... A Drummer, a Bassist, and oh yeah, Billy Gibbons ..... The Big Little Band from Texas ..... lotta' standard Top songs, and one of my favorites, "Just got Paid", something about the sound of a Les Paul in the right hands, and a great version of "Rough Boys". I've seen these guys live 3 or 4 times, and trust me, this is good, and the sound mix is Top Notch ....... These guys have been together a long time, and never really received their due respect, especially Billy Gibbons, but that's cool, I know they're good, and they have paid their dues ............... Power Trio's ROCK ....... "Well I just got paid today ..............."

(Yes I posted this dvd before, but only 3 of us know that ..... [;)] ... )

It is so hot 100 degrees today. I got the blues bad.

robert_johnson_formal_portrait_shot.jpg

This is the Blues to me not that clean sounding BS that usually gets played. I want front porch unadulturated Blues like Robert Johnson. I love all of his songs. You can hear samples here http://www.morethings.com/music/robert_johnson/index.html .

robert_johnson.jpg

For those that haven't seen the 1968 movie Performance you are missing out. It is CLASSIC. I'm not a Jagger fan but he does a great Johnson cover. Here is the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPUs4fjh24 The movie is a little strange but hey it was 1968. Give it 50 seconds to get started.

Well I would like to contribute to the music thread but feel most of my music is pretty main stream. I've been looking here for ideas for new stuff but since ZZ Top got mentioned I guess I can contribute a little.

I enjoyed Dire Straits, Communique (vinyl) recently and was reminded how much I like that album. Also, Supertramp, Crime of the Century (also vinyl).

More recent and for a laid back mood would be Norah Jones, Not Too Late. This one is high on the repeat list for me.

Rolling Stones SHINE A LIGHT on DVD- fantastic filmwork by Scorsace, great loose performance by the band, great mix- guitars stay hard panned so you can tell who's playing what. I LOVE this film!

PS- it sounds better on my Klipsch system than it did at the IMAX!