Amp for 2 channel setup

bigdaddy

Ok some of you saw my post about an old Pioneer receiver I acquired. well it's not worth fixing and the left channel is just dead. I did what little I could and I'm not spending anything on this receiver. So give me some suggestions for amps or receiver for a 2 channel setup. What I'm thinking of doing is use a modern receiver for a pre and setup a 2.1 in my bedroom or living room. I'm not opposed to getting a vintage receiver (tube or SS) and not having a sub. So fire away with suggestions.

Keep in mind if I go tubes I will probably try to find used and I like my music loud loud loud so I would want some power for that. I don't do it very often but I've been known to hit 115-120 db on some material when I'm in the mood.

Also about $500 is my limit.

www.vanns.com ... look there at new stuff, good reference point, many different units ... or an old Scott Tuber with a center channel output ... if you go Tubes, don't be miss led by the Wattage output .......... or for about $700. you can get a Brand New Outlaw RR2150 ... I bet if you get the Outlaw you will never need to look for a power unit again ....... an Awesome 2 channel receiver with many modern features ...... take a look ... www.outlawaudio.com

...or Yamaha (CA or CR Natural Sound line)...or Nakamichi (STASIS...SR or TA line)...or that Outlaw sure looks appealing AND you can use a Sub somewhere along the line as it has bass management...nice touch for a Stereo receiver...highly praised...

Bill

The outlaw tube amp might be the last amp you buy. It's probably that kind of solution.

On the inexpensive solution side, something like the H/K 930 might do nicely. I've had one of these and it's a beefy receiver for sure. This series of H/K twin powered receivers are known to sound good with Klipsch. They are 430 630 730 and the big brother 930. The most powerful 930 would probably suit you best, although these others are no slouch. I've had a couple of 430's and use one right now in my office.

Here's one on Ebay. Sounds like a good candidate. It does need to have the slide rule lights replaced, but that's a piece of cake. It would also need to be packed well, really well. It's heavy as heck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-HARMAN-KARDON-930-TWIN-PWR-RECEIVER-AMP-MODEL-WORKS_W0QQitemZ120287873911QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3279QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I do have to agree with the others about the H/K twin power as I have a 730 hooked up to a pair of Cornwalls and it sounds great. I also have a Yamaha CR-1020 and a Marantz 2238B. I have to say that all three sound great with the Klipsch Heritage speakers and can be had for your price range. Take your time as I purchased all three from the forum and no regrets or problems, so far.

James