Palladiums versus Klipschorns on classical music?

DTLongo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, perhaps, but my point was to say that you have to be careful when you use the word "flagship" because they all sail in different oceans.

For theater the MCM Grand is the flagship, for Heritage traditionalists, it's the Khorn, for backdoor/hybrid rebels it's the Jubilee/K402 (Grand horn with Grand tweeter driver), and for the image conscious with great aethetic concern, the Palladium is the Flagship.

I have heard them all and all sound excellent. Who cares which is better. They all sound good.............now we need to get to work on the REAL problem.........getting the industry to create better, more challenging recordings so we are not sucked into the Vortex of double compressed pop music download crap. With the most dynamic of source material, ALL the Klipsch flagships can TROUNCE the rest of the turkey and chickens flopping around in each respective category, hands down.

Very well put! I like the "different oceans" analogy. It makes a lot of sense.

Colter's short list (this is my opinion, which is mine, and it belongs to me- so there)

#1 Jubilee (horn loaded bass and Tractrix MF/HF) the best of all worlds except you have to be willing to accept the industrial look and finish.

tied #2 (it depends on what you're listening to - remember the LS/CW debates?)

Klipschorn - the way the Khorn bass energizes a room cannot be beat by any number of direct radiators for LF.

Palladium - Tractrix mid more open, natural, flat on vocals and instruments in the vocal ranges and upper octaves.

So are you a bass guy or a vocal guy? Can your room withstand the Jubilee 'look'? Do you have the sound space to install Khorns? The Palladium might therefore appeal to a totally different section of the listening population than either of the other top end Klipsch models.

Choose your weapons gentlemen!

Not to disagree with your opinion (since it wouldn't make sense to do so anyway), I'm just gonna bounce mine off yours...in the meantime totally ignoring everything but the sonic experience. My own audiophile pursuits don't care about cost or aesthetics or size constraints or whatever...yet (though that doesn't invalidate those concerns for others).

I think I would switch up #2 and #3 hands down. The mids and highs of the Pals are in a whole new league and the bass has a way smoother more natural tonal balance. The only thing the Khorn has on the Pals is a slightly more dynamic bottom end, but for me that doesn't come close to offsetting the other advantages.

I still consider the Jubilee #1, but I wouldn't put the Pal far behind. I think the Pals have a more natural lower midrange and are more toppy (perhaps a touch too toppy for my own tastes, but I could see some preferring it). The Pals are a bit smoother in the LF, which I think has more to do with stray resonances than the frequency response (though the frequency response is prob smoother too). Everytime I hear the Pals I walk away thinking of how inert everything is. However, I think those small differences get offset by the extra dynamics in the Jub LF and how the oh so smooth pattern control really helps gel the sound together and cut down on the influence of the room. The Jub is a touch more in your face where the Pals are more laid back - different genres are gonna call for different flavors....In light of this thread, I think the forwardness of the Jub is gonna be an advantage for those that want their classical to have the best chance of being exciting [;)]

But to be honest, I would have a hard time choosing between the Jub and Pal because a lot of the music I like is going to sound better on the Pals which are far far more forgiving. I also really dig female vocals and I think the Pal might have a slight edge in that regard. However, I think that edge is gained with the sacrifice of disconnected highs - so it's not really a free lunch and in my case since I prefer the extra cohesiveness of the Jub.

Anyways, I just wanted to throw that out there after hearing the Pals for many hours in a very nice room with source material I was familiar with. I wasn't expecting to have this response after hearing them at the Pilgrimage, but then that seems to be a common theme with all the "flagships"...