Cornwall Pricing

jcmusic

Jay, I believe the ones you are looking at are '85s, but there's a pair of '87s, in my neck of the woods, that someone is asking $800 for. The current range i've seen, for used Cornwalls, in general, is $500 (a steal, if in good condition) to $800.

Wow, I just noticed that a pair of Cornwall IIs, described as being in "great condition", recently sold on Ebay for $355, and a pair for $750 BIN didn't sell.

$500. to $700 is a fair range, very nice to excellent up to a $1,000. .............. Cornwalls demand more money than Cornwalls 2's !!!!!

Why is that?

Jay

Not true. At least not in my experience. All things being equal, ie. finish, condition, etc., I don't think there's much difference in price. I think sometimes the 1's go higher because of rare finishes. By the time 2's came around, Klipsch stopped offering upgrades to the finish, decorator models (rare but originally cheaper than nicely veneered versions) and verts which are a whole other story.

Maybe you're right OB. Might be the prices seem more equal because you find more beater 1's (age related) which bring down the average price.

Jay - Verts were built from the 60s through 74?? The horns are vertically oriented and pairs were custom built so the horns were on the outside edge of both speakers..............in other words, the left speaker had the tweeter on the upper left side of the motor board while the right speaker had the tweeter on the right side as you faced them. many think the verts image better. Also, they're very popular as HT center channels since they can be laid on their side and give you a horizontal midrange. They're also much more rare than regular Cornwalls. At some point in the 70s, you could order them either way. There was also an option for a base that attached to the side so you could lay it down sideways. I hope that makes sense. Maybe someone can show you a picture of theirs.

I'm not 100% but some models of the 12" driver on the Cornwall I are now considered collectable and hard to come buy.......all I know is GLA51 told me to switch the 12" drivers I have and bag the originals for posterity sake....so there must be something to it.....

I think you're referring to the K-22 Heresy driver in 12". The Cornwall uses a 15" driver.

You'll find Cornwalls from $200-$1500 depending on Model, Condition, location, and seller.

Most will need upgrading of crossovers and diaphrams and/or drivers to bring them up to proper working order. These will be less expensive on the whole. If they're all original you can expect to spend a couple hundred bucks and much more to bring them back to where they should be.

Let's not even talk about re-veneering. There's hundreds more right there alone.

Buying a pair from a known seller that has a near mint pair that's totally been gone through will bring primo bucks and should.

I'd much rather buy a very nice pair than an old average pair to keep. I don't mind paying for quality as it's always a good investment.

An average pair will always be....average.

Here are my $500 Cornwalls "Stormin" delivered today.

Harry

post-24628-13819399834886_thumb.jpg

post-24628-13819409992074_thumb.jpg