RF-7's and tubes

kohill

I was listening to a pair of RF-7's driven by monoblock Manley amps the other day. I have a pair of RF-7's driven by a McIntosh solid state.

The difference is striking. The tubed 7's were so warm I almost had a hot flash. And I'm not a woman or in menopause.

For movies I think I like mine better, but for jazz or classic rock, I don't know. The tubes are inviting.

I heard RF-7's with a JM Peach preamp and a 35wpc stereo VRD power amp.......at a fellow forum member's house.

The difference really set in when I got home. It took about a week and a half before I could start enjoying my 7's again drven by ss equipment.

Quite an eye opener.......ear opener......ya know what I mean. [:D]

Although I have never owned a pair I have heard RF-7 with tubes on a several occassions.

A few times with 300B SET home built and NOS Valves VRDs were excellent for music realism but the 300B could not provide enough SPL in a large room for my taste.

Tube junkie by birth (1960) and born again in 2001. My preferences are quite "biased".

I enjoy both solid state and tubes. While many opinions and situations have been discussed, the largest difference for ME is the length of time spent listening. If I plan to have a long listening session (3-5 hours or more) I certainly prefer tubes and 2 channel because of the "even order harmonics". These sessions usually are at lower SPL's and more detailed. With solid state it's usually shorter sessions and higher SPL's, and usually with 5.1 speakers cranked, watching concerts or movies. Because of the even order harmonics tubes are not supposed to be as "fatigueing", and that has been my experience as well.

MC-250

I had the MC2505 (same amp with meters )and while nice I retired it to my office set up....I know what you are talking about......once I heard VRD monos through Klipschorns, thats all she wrote.....

I have a Sansui AU-111 6L6GC based that I'm having tweeked right now and will use RCA blackplate outputs, and Telefunkens in the front end.......Hopefully that will do it for me, But I'm really gunning for the VRD's and a BBX!!!

so much gear, so little money

I'm really enjoying the RF-7's with a Peach in front of Aragon SS...

Hey man!!! When did you let the LaScalas go? Are the RF-7's the first choice, or the Cornwalls? I'm glad you still have the peach.

woo

Ya know it's really strange. I'll explain later. Good to hear from you Woo