Buying Quartets and have questions

wuzzzer

My sig below shows my current setup...Forte II fronts and RS-42 surrounds. I found a steal of a deal on a pair of Oak Oil Quartets locally that I'm picking up. My intention originally was to use one of them as a center speaker and sell the other one. But, thinking about it, would I be better off using them as surrounds and ditching the RS-42s? Space is a concern for the surrounds and I'd have to have the Quartets sitting a little off the floor to get them where I want them to be height-wise (probably less than a foot).

If I do end up using one as a center speaker, I'll be setting it on its side. My cabinet under the TV isn't big enough to fit the speaker inside it so it will have to sit in front of it instead. Not the most ideal location aesthetically. I was thinking of getting some kind of stand to raise the center speaker up slightly so that it sat just under the edge of my TV screen. One of the speaker's wood riser was damaged so I thought I'd use that one as a center since I would remove the riser anyway. One of the Klipsch badges is also missing from a grill but I figured I'd buy a new one and put it on the grill so that when the Quartet was laying on its side the badge would be in the middle either on the top or the bottom and that way it would look like it was supposed to be sitting like that.

Also, I just learned that the midrange horn and driver is exactly the same between the Forte II and Quartet and that the tweeters and almost exactly the same. I would imagine that the timbre match between the Quartet and Forte IIs is going to be almost perfect!

Oh, could anyone who has Quartets tell me their exact height? Klipsch lists them as 31.2" but is that with or without the risers? Thanks!!

That was my original intention. I only had a 2.1 setup less than a month ago, now 4.1 and more than likely soon to be 5.1.

I can't believe that the Quartets are only 1/2" narrower than the Fortes. I thought with the smaller woofers they'd be a lot smaller. Looks like they are about 4" shorter but pretty much the same width and depth.

If I could raise my TV and stand up a little bit I could put the Quartet in front standing upright.

Sheesh, why can't this stuff ever be easy?!? [:S]

I just took a tape measure to one of my Quartets. It measures 31 1/8 just about exactly from the bottom of the built-in riser to the top. You might pick up a smidge more from the little metal button on the bottom if you put them on a hard floor.

Wm McD

I'd use the quartet as a center. I have three forte ii's across the front and that sounds fantastic. Save the other quartet if you have room. You may run into a single forte II or quartet at some time ot use it as a rear center for a 6.1 system. I have my forte II surrounds and my quartet rear centers up about a foot or so off the floor. That way the mid and tweeters are above the sofa back and a direct line to my ears.

Save the other quartet if you have room. You may run into a single forte II or quartet at some time ot use it as a rear center for a 6.1 system. I have my forte II surrounds and my quartet rear centers up about a foot or so off the floor. That way the mid and tweeters are above the sofa back and a direct line to my ears.

I have a doorway directly behind the seating area that goes into a small office room. 6.1 would be impossible unless I put the speaker over the doorway.

I have Fort'e1 mains, Acadamey center and Quartet sides. I use RB1.5s for the 6th and 7th channels.

I would recomend something similar with you, move your sides to back position, Qartets to sides and keep looking for a perfect center. My Quartets are on 24" risers and are not against a wall yet they sound great.

They are indeed only slightly smaller than the Fort'e but sound just as good!

We have been happy with this setup for over a year now and we have NO plans to change a thing! Cept though if I could find another Fort'e1 for that perfect match across the front. The Acadamey is good but a single Fort'e 1 would be a PERFECT match[;)]

I would recomend something similar with you, move your sides to back position, Qartets to sides and keep looking for a perfect center. My Quartets are on 24" risers and are not against a wall yet they sound great.

I found a perfect match...in the Quartets. Having the same midrange horn and driver and virtually the same tweeter results in an awesome timbre match. I'll write a separate review in another thread.