Looking for a good integrated amp

darkside

Hi all,

I just recently upgraded my stereo from a pair of Madison PA speakers to (dare I say it?) Infinity RS5s...(I do still own Klipsch in some old PMU 5.1s, just so I [hopefully] don't get shunned[:P]). I was using a Crown Power Base 2 amp and a Harman/Kardon HK-3380 as the preamp, but am selling the Crown since I don't need anywhere near the power that thing puts out, but am looking for an integrated amp that will give me better sq than the HK. A two channel reciever will work, but those are kind of hard to come across these days I've noticed. Plus, I only use my system for audio. I rarely use the radio, though it would never hurt to have, and my budget is around $300 so used/ebay is not at all out of the question. Thanks ahaead of time for all the help!

don't know how they pair with Infinity but Yamaha Natural Sound Integrateds from the late '70s...CA-410, 610, 610 II, 810, 1010 or their equivalent receivers...Nakamichi receivers or the STASIS years (late 1980s...SRs and TAs have been very good for me...H/K Twin Amps are very popular here too...any of these are easily gotten on the 'Bay for less than your $300.00...good luck...

Bill

I also forgot to mention that a straight two channel reciever would work, but I'm looking for one of better quality than my HK-3380. If it weren't for budget issues, I pobably would have bought the Outlaw Audio RR2150, but the hunt for a good deal is more fun [:D]

Yeah, so I've heard, but again, it's out of my budget, so ebay has certainly been my friend lately. Unfortunately, I let a Citation 12 slip through my fingers for 180, which would have been awesome, since I can use my existing reciever as the pre, but whatever...

Does anyone know anything about the new Harman/Kardon HK receivers? The 3490 and 3390? A new 3390 can be had pretty cheap, and I'm using an older version of that, the 3380, which isn't bad itself, but I'm still looking for something better. I might try and pick up an Crown D-75 and just go that route since my Power Base 2 sounded so good...any thoughts? Thanks.

Just looked finally, and yeah, would love to have a Mcintosh like that, but 1500 is WAAAYYY over my head! I am only 17 after all, and my budget is basically what I've been able to scrounge up from selling my old stuff so far...

Check out the 5100. $450 and in beautiful shape. If you are 17 you need to worry about gettign yoru money back out when you decide to upgrade. The McIntosh will hold its value.

Hehe, wrong Mcintosh [:$]. Even still, 450 is a little much, though I would love to have that. And yes, you are completely right. Luckily, I've been able to sell my old PA speakers for more than I paid for them, though I made the mistake a year ago of selling my old RF-15s for half of what I paid. I'm trying not to do that again. But I'm still looking. Might end up with Crown stuff again if I get my Power Base sold.

Age has nothing to do with price. You'll likely find out you'll have the same money vs audio issues no matter your age.

You'll always be looking for better sound and find out you can always do better for just a few bucks more than you have to spend.

Harry

So I've had some time to ponder this, and if anyone knows of any good 2 channel receivers too, I'm open to all suggestions. I've become hooked on the jazz program on Saturday nights on WABE (NPR here in Atlanta), so a radio would be nice to have too [:D] Thanks!

Seriously look at a vintage sansui.....a AU7900 can be had for $200 and a Tu 5900 tuner for about $100

I have one of the AU7900 and Like it better than most of my mac gear thats below 3K

they really are little gems that preform!!!! It's lower powered forerunner was featured in the movie High Fidelity....

There's a Yamaha CA-610 II for sale on ebay with 4 hours left. Current bid is at.....$52.44. Is this something I maybe should be watching? It'll proabably end up around 180 is my guess...

Link just FYI:

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-CA-610-II-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-AMP-45-WPC_W0QQitemZ300250491238QQihZ020QQcategoryZ73369QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem