using 4 towers ?

sonny

The main seating area is about 8 feet from the rear wall and. However it is a half wall into another room. I have my Sb-2's on the sides of the listening area, (4&5 spkrs.) and the ss.5's(6&7 spkrs.) on the back walls respectivley. I have an Onkyo TX SR605 and most everthing I watch is in Dolby Digital EX. I am not sure where to put the 8.5 towers now that I am going to use the 10.5's in the front. I really like the idea of using all 4 towers if feasible.

Thanks

The side surrounds will likely get more workout in 7.1 than the rears, but the sides should ideally be the diffuse type. If the side walls are far away, try the towers facing in and put the surrounds on top of the rear wall (splitting the back wall in 1/3's).

OR if the side walls are close by, hang surrounds (leave what you have) and put the two 8.5 towers in the same positions on the half wall as shown above.

OR just experiment with what sounds good.

• Moderators

Please explain diffuse type

Thanks

I think he is talking about the speakers that point in both directions on the wall, it's like two speakers in one cabinet so it's not pointed just straight ahead. Some people use to call them sound sprayers.[A]

Sonny,

I set up a surround sound settup very similar to yours for my parrents. I started with two pairs of KSF 10.5 towers and an RC-3II center channel with a Velodyne HGS-10 sub. I then sold the RC-3II center and bought an RC-7 center, and I bought them a pair of RF-7s for up front. As cheaply as a pair of KSF 10.5 towers can be bought, I would suggest these all arround if you have the room, it will also sound much better in 7 channel stereo mode. The RC-7 center was the best upgrade I made for the money, after that, I would suggest you upgrade your sub as money allows.

If you email me at rgordon@watchtv.net I can send some pictures.

Roger

I use a pair of RF-7s as my surrounds, and a pair of KLF-30s for my rear speakers. These are to accompany the RF-7s and KLF-30s I have as my front speakers. The sound is incredible.

I sit in my chair (in the sweet spot) and visulize another set of front speakers (KLFs or RFs), mounted by brackets extending from the ceiling. (This would, of course, require another Aragon 2002.) When I share my visualazation with my wife, she tells me she will leave me if this ever manifests. I guess she feels the almost 900 pounds of speakers in our livingroom is enough; I am still trying to dissuade her.

Hey sonny,
I am personally on a fairly tight budget so I have had to stick to playing with the KSF/Synergy level of equipment. I currently run the set up bellow and have been very pleased with it for the money. When I originally made the jump to 7.1 I ran the KSF 8.5 as fronts with SB1s as surrounds and SB2s as rears. It sounded okay but did not have the strength or depth that I wanted. I then purchased the SB3s and moved to my current set up. The reason why I have used bookshelf for the surround and rears is because it allows me to position them higher. It would be very hard for me to lift a set up floor standing speakers to the proper lessening height for my room and without doing this the speakers would be muffled by the furniture in the room.

receiver: Integra DTR 5.9
front: KSF 8.5s
center: SC.5
surrounds: SB-2s
rears: SB-3s
sub: Sub-10