Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, never again will I build a building with parallel walls. Although I left the insulation exposed (with plastic vapor barrier) on all walls, this huge expanse of concrete v drywall on the ceiling is too much parallel surface. I got the feeling midway through the project that I should have put in at least a slightly vaulted ceiling and should have followed that feeling.

Which begs the question- how much do you have to go 'off-parallel' to avoid the pingy reverb that comes from having exactly parallel surfaces? I don't hear it becaus I'm rarely in the area, but my building is also parallel to the metal pole barn next door and that's another echo chamber.

arrrrgggghhhhhh

Perhaps if I hung a bunch of chicken wire and fibreglass 'clouds', angled panels or draped materials, might that help?

ps- I posted this in Architectural also- perhaps Mssr. Ardo (artto) can assist.

Or you could do like I do in my garage. Pile so much crap in there the tiniest sound wave cannot find it's way through. I've created my own anechoic chamber. That's what makes it such a good hiding place: "Honestly, Dear, I couldn't hear you..."

• 2 weeks later...

guess I'd better go back out to the lukewarm shop (covered in ice this am) and put a second coat of mud on the ceiling. This is the no-fun part. Got all my junk piled at one end so I can finish 1/2 the1500ft2 ceiling. Then have to move everything and do the other half. This process really should only take a week or so, but with cold days, travels, and just plain fukits, it's taking forever.....

I wish I had the radiant floor heating system going. Wonder if my consultant is still available?

brrrrrrrrrrrr

more mud today. Steve and I will do a light textured finish on the ceiling either Mon or Tuesday depending on weather. It's not tough to keep the shop warm enough, but the kerosene heater puts out some water vapor as a by product. Have it, an electrical heater, and circulating fan going right now.

You know what this means- it'll be move-in time soon!

Ok, I still got to do the radiant heat system and put up the walls for interior workshop space, maybe wait the later until spring though.

brrrrrr

more mud today. Steve and I will do a light textured finish on the ceiling either Mon or Tuesday depending on weather. It's not tough to keep the shop warm enough, but the kerosene heater puts out some water vapor as a by product. Have it, an electrical heater, and circulating fan going right now.

You know what this means- it'll be move-in time soon!

Ok, I still got to do the radiant heat system and put up the walls for interior workshop space, maybe wait the later until spring though.

brrrrrr

You're supposed to send your consultant a photo, remember?

Greg

email sent Greg. [Y]

I sent this photo of the parts I've purchased so far along with Greg's laundry list-o-parts with items checked that I'm having difficulty finding locally. [^o)]

Let's do our work via email, and I'll post photos of progress here for all to enjoy and learn from. [:D][8-|]

Michael

post-10755-13819435561074_thumb.jpg

we got a bunch of rain on top of frozen ground the other day, here's the drainage dilemma.

To the right is the old drive that was used for RV parking and ends at the garden shed to far right. There was a culver/bridge about 15 feet from the road where water passed from right to left. Then the water headed towards the middle left, diagonally across the back yard toward the drainage ditch. The problem is that one corner of the Shop is right in the path, so the berm of earth around the Shed tends to back up the water before it heads around the bend down between the two lots (midway between my Shop and the old pole barn). See next slide, which is to the far left of this one. (I turned 90 degrees left to take the second shot)

post-10755-13819435562658_thumb.jpg

Here's the swamp in front of the Shed. I was thinking instead of fighting the water and cutting the slight berm away to allow it to pass (it's natural flow) , to gather it for a small pond. I could excavate a bit, line the area with rocks, do some landscaping, and have a little point of attention right outside my main Shop window, viewable from most of the back yard.

What do you think Dtel?

This shot is taken from the yard side of the hot tub, so small trees and shrubs on the back side of the pond would form a visual barrier to the other barn and house and give a point of focus on my property.

post-10755-13819435563698_thumb.jpg

I would think Michael that unless you get significant amounts of rain on a consistent basis, your "retention pond" won't have much in the way of an esthetic feel since most of the time you'll be looking at a dry bed. And if you did manage to retain the water flow, how much of it do you want to retain?? IOW's what provision would you have for overflow and the regulation thereof? Which sparks another question......

It's one thing to re-grade your property to get run-off from rain to go in a certain direction and it's another thing to create a retention pond. Not sure what your state/city/county regulations are, but where I live, I would have to get a permit for such a thing along with a civil engineering survey to approve the land re-contour. And I suspect the county would wanna know about what I was putting in the drainage ditch if and when my pond overflowed.

Tom

No Tom, nothing sizeable or formal. I understand the engineering and zoning implications of a true pond only too well. That is not the plan. One may not change the watershed without approvals and that is an undertaking that I can't afford the time or funds for.

What I'm thinking of is just a teensy dry pond of gravel or smooth stones that would occasionally have water in it. Kind of with an oriental feel to it, a metaphorical pond, a place where a stand of water might have existed in the past or might in the future. Mostly just to hide the occasional mud-hole look and produce a plot of land to separate the Shop from a small stand of trees and shrubberies.

This might be a good location for a bird watching space, something I've always wanted to introduce to the landscape here. Chokeberries, purple coneflower, other specimins that would feed and provide shelter for the abundant wildlife in the area and would be pleasant to view from my shop window and from a distance, the back porch of the house.

While we're on landscaping, the other end of the shop, the west end, might become the Orchard. The sky is open to north, west, and south here. I have a good size plot that could house 9 dwarf specimins quite comfortably. This is out of any pathway across the lawn, so dropped fruit could be returned to a compost pile on that corner of the property (on the downwind side of me and away from neighbor's views).

NOT a retention pond! This area will be bone dry in a week. Same in the spring thaws or during heavy summer rain. Look at the photo with the Shop in it, the normal path was right across the corner of the shop. If I chopped a slight bit (6" deep) across the normal berm of earth around the shop, the water would resume it's normal path.

Right now, the water flows in, the water flows out. It's just a temporary holding area, probably a few days at most when we get a LOT of water. Otherwise I just have a marshy spot on the rather flat area of lawn. The slope across about 250 is very small, barely enough to allow water to pass down the slight swale through the thick kentucky blue grass.

I have the same issue in the front yard where the sump pump outlet is. During periods of heavy rain, water stands in that part of the yard, making a marsh that I cannot drive the Exmark mower through without getting stuck. I'm thinking of the same type of treatment there, a stretch of 20 feet or so of 'dry' stream bed, that will house some water temporarily during periods of intense shower activity.