Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

It was cold today so I just went shopping. 90 bales of cellulose insulation and one truck full of Gorilla shelving later I got a room full of stuff. It took 3 truck loads to bring all the insulation home. This will be equivalent to 12" or R40 in the attic. I'll fill the walls with R13 fibreglass batts later in the week. Steve is scheduled to come over on Wednesday to help blow the insulation in the attic. I hope I can keep up with him filling the hopper all day. Help is welcome [;)]

Got more pain meds for the dental surgery today. This is not an easy recovery, especially aching and working in the cold. We got snow yesterday and today and the temp had dipped to upper 20's with some wind chill.

I hope that once I get the attic insulated that I'll be able to keep some heat in the building for the office build-out, drywall finishing, and move-in. Nothing like moving in the dead of winter.

M

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got more pain meds for the dental surgery today. This is not an easy recovery, especially aching and working in the cold. We got snow yesterday and today and the temp had dipped to upper 20's with some wind chill.

If you're outside in those temps, with a sore jaw, maybe you should be wearing one of those hard hat liners that keep your cheeks warm. They look a bit like those "leatherhead" football helmets, only in insulated cloth, and are usually a khaki colour.

WHEW- about 45 of the bales gone so far in two hours. It's getting quieter, more comfortable, and more substantial feeling in the shop already. Just the density of the material dampening the reflections off the drywall ceiling has an amazing acoustical effect and we haven't even touched the center 1/3 of the attic.

wooohoo back up I go....[:P]

Up in the Atic there's a pause
Out jumps good old Michael Clause

Down thru the chimney with lots of Cellouse
All for the little ones

Christmas joys

Chorus

Ho, ho, ho!

Who wouldn’t go!

Ho, ho, ho!

Who wouldn’t go!

Up in the Atic
Click, click, click

Down thru the chimney with

Good Michael Nick

First comes the Plastic
Of little Nell

Oh, dear Michael
Fill it well

Give her a full dose
of Cellouse!
One that will make
his Garage warm as toast!

Repeat Chorus

Next comes the stocking

Of little Michael
Oh, just see what

A glorious fill

Here is a hammer

And lots of tacks

Also a ball

And a whip that cracks

Done, for those counting work measurement, a standard full size pickup bed with cap can hold 36 bales of cellulose and two good men can install 20 bales per hour in a clear, well lit area.

Lighting is the key, got to be able to see what you're doing. After some stumbling around with a couple of clamp-on shop lights, I broke out the rock and roll gear and put two PAR38 fixtures with 300 watt lamps up there! That cut through the dust and made it easier to see progress.

Steve did a first pass down the two sides (about 1/3 the building's width each) using 20 bales, then I went back and finished those sides off with another tower of 36 bales. I then backed down the center bay utilizing 6 bales per 10 feet of building length and came out exactly right. I built it up a little higher around the edges of the building, especially the gable ends. That is where the most heat is lost, just above exterior walls. It's also a bit heavier above the office/clean room since that room will be more temperature controlled.

This is very peaceful work, not difficult, very very quiet up in the attic with all that exposed soft insulation.

THANK YOU FINI [:D] [Y] - the mask was very comfortable and really saved my lungs today! I went through two sets of the particulate filters, changing about half way through the job when breathing became labored. That was uber-cool of you to send it to me. I paid the favor forward to Dee with gift of a Klipsch hat and some other goodies. [G]

The shop is much quieter now, hopefully it'll be easier to keep warm. Tomorrow is fibreglass day- woohhooo

Michael

THANK YOU FINI Big SmileYes - the mask was very comfortable and really saved my lungs today! I went through two sets of the particulate filters, changing about half way through the job when breathing became labored. That was uber-cool of you to send it to me. I paid the favor forward to Dee with gift of a Klipsch hat and some other goodies. Gift

Way cool.

Progress on the shop sounds amazing.

You're setting the man cave bar extremely high.

Man Cave. Colter Style. Gotta love it. [Y]

(for some reason I want to start another name Michael's man cave thread so seeing as how I got the last one locked....)

[8][8][8][8][8][8][8]

Insulation complete. I'll be mudding drywall, hooking up heat and lighting in the next week or two.

Still need a proper name for this place.

Michael's Roadie House, Mike's Workshop of Music (which initials to MWM) are kind of running round in my pea-brain. Yeah what happend to that 'name the shop' thread that Ben had going? Why was that nuked?

Six months since the company threw me out and I'm still a fan.

Still need a proper name for this place.

Michael's Roadie House, Mike's Workshop of Music (which initials to MWM) are kind of running round in my pea-brain. Yeah what happend to that 'name the shop' thread that Ben had going? Why was that nuked?

Six months since the company threw me out and I'm still a fan.

Michaels Clubhouse of Music (which intials to MCM)

I think the Name Colter's Shop Of Klipsch thread got locked in the post I posted to give me a call if it was too painful that got it locked... yet that post remains ) A suggested name referencing times when the sun shone brighter in the Land Of Klipsch... Maybe if we asked nice Amy or Trey could unlock it if we promise to behave ourselves. The suggested name was Colter's Shop Of Things To Put On Top Of Other Things... I've thought about starting another one... but don't want to get in too much trouble or sent to time out with Richard.

You'll always be Klipsch's biggest fan, especially of the Heritage and Pro gear. Probably can't help yourself.

Today's project-

I finally get to test the insulation. It was about 20 degrees here overnight and it's been snowing all morning. I went into the shop this morning that's just had a small milk can heater (too keep drywall mud from freezing) and I could not see my breath in the building. That's over 32, right? Put fire to the Kerosun heater, came in house for about an hour, back out to work and it's pretty comfortable. I have jeans, tennies, cotton henley, and knit hat on and it's very comfy. I get the feeling that this radiant floor system isn't going to have to work very hard.

Put outlet covers on this morning, taking care to cut the plastic sheeting inside the boxes so as to keep a nice consistent membrane on the interior of walls.

Right now I'm prepping a little idea I had. I have some of that mini-pallet shelving, called Gorilla Racks around here. My idea was to put little plastic sliders on the bottom of the uprights. This will not only protect the metal from the cold, possibly wet concrete floor, but provide a means with which to move assembled shelves. There is a plastics company right down the road from me that has everything. I bought 3 ft2 of a 1/4" thick delrin-like material for $22. Now am sawing it into 2.5" squares and bolting to legs of shelves with flat head bolts carefully countersunk. I'll be able to pre-assemble the shelves and easily glide them into position. More importantly, during this ceiling mudding phase, I can have the shelves up so as to contain my rapidly growing pile of power tools and keep stuff out of the way of the low flying seagulls.

Oh, and my little Delta saw didnt' entirely die, seems that after some of the dust spun out it's still cranking along. I may buy another Delta.

M

• Moderators

After reading all the reviews I could find, comparing features and prices, I got this about a year ago and am very happy with it, works great and the fence is really nice for a stock fence, and a lifetime warranty after registering. The only bad thing was it needs to be put together, not really a problem if you read the instructions.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100608588&N=+502949+1600+90401

Going to start mudding the ceiling today. getting the ceiling done is paramount prior to move-in so I'd better get to it, right?

I figure I'll do half the building for a couple of coats, then texture it, then move all the junk that's in there already and complete the other side. Should be about 6 days altogether including drying time.

Words of encouragement are welcome.