Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember ever being this tanned and blonde in October!

It's tlhat Iron Mike initiative you started a few weeks back. Outside really working in the great outdoors like a manley man.

My first attempt in the name Colter's shop contest: Iron Mike's Shop of Real Speakers For Real Men (and Women)

Brother Steve put my roof on last week in about 3 days. Hardiplank was delivered Saturday so we'll be working on that all week. Electrician should be hooking up the shop to the garage power today and tomorrow. I worked some on electrical over the weekend but there's more to do.

post-10755-13819426071924_thumb.jpg

I hate that I had to take out a section of that beautiful 1950's limestone wall, but the building is in the right spot... That last photo was taken mid-September. Here's the same view from Sunday.

I had intended to reuse some of the stone for a wainscot on the building, but it crumbled when I tried to disassemble the wall. I used split-face block to approximate the look for about 1/5 the cost of real Bedford cut limestone.

post-10755-13819426073564_thumb.jpg

Michael,

Looking awesome man. And so much nicer than the workshop behind it. Now if you really wanted to mess with the neighbors you'd draw an outline on the big stacks on the outside of your shed aimed at 'em like you were going to permanently install them to play outside.

I hate that I had to take out a section of that beautiful 1950's limestone wall, but the building is in the right spot... That last photo was taken mid-September. Here's the same view from Sunday.

I had intended to reuse some of the stone for a wainscot on the building, but it crumbled when I tried to disassemble the wall. I used split-face block to approximate the look for about 1/5 the cost of real Bedford cut limestone.

I hear that man. I ripped up marble tile in our main bathroom as part of my still in progress rebuilding effort. But it had to go. Almost made me cry. And as most things around here, the previous construction method didn't seem quite right. I always thought the stone or tile in a wet floor was supposed to be applied with thin-set mortar to cement board and not plywood. But what do I know.

ALL SIDING WILL LEAK.

In the tests we've done, Tyvek is the best at keeping water from getting through and onto the wood behind. This is the primary function of a housewrap in our home construction, to be a drainage plane beneath the siding. You'd be surprised at how much water can get through some housewraps.

An important detail of the drainage plane is how it is installed around windows. Before the window is installed, a membrane "pan" should be made that covers the wood sill of the window opening and turns out under the bottom of the window and flange. We don't seal the bottom window flange to the "pan" membrane. There should be some kind of tape or membrane applied to the side flanges of the window, then the Tyvek should be cut so that it can be installed down OVER the top window flange and be taped to the flange.

I like your split-face block. We used split-face in several areas of our condominium development that we're building right now and people still refer to it as stone! We don't see a lot of masonry around these parts.

Greg

ugh, I used that sticky tar-tape stuff (about 4" wide) but put it OVER the Tyvek, lapping the plastic flanges all the way to the edge of the window. It adhered very well and seemed to seal to the Tyvek completely. I peeled the backing off and laid the stuff in the sun before sticking it to the wall. I did take time to overlap it so I installed bottom, overlapped sides over that, then top over that so water would flow around the window. Hope that is alright.

We didnt' put anything other than Tyvek behind the split block, hope that's ok too?

The guys did the upside down Y cut on the Tyvek before sliding the windows into place. That is, that the sides and bottom wrap around the framing members, but the top is left loose, so that any water that gets behind the Tyvek over the window is allowed to drain out and not soak the header.

I like your idea on the window wrap, unfortunately we already trimmed the windows today. I'll be caulking heavily between siding and trim, and the trim/window gap so hope all is ok.

Hardie instructions do NOT recommend caulking butt joints in the field, they say to put a backing paper up (like tar paper or Tyvek 6x8 piece), and then run the siding so that it is without gap, but not to caulk. Your thoughts?

Day THREE of Hardiplank siding today. My ears are ringing from all the sawing and starting to get a bit of raspy voice from all the dust, but on we move.

I wear ear plugs, dust mask, and safety goggles at all times. This stuff is HEAVY man! Getting sore all over but sleeping like a baby at night. The weather has been mid-70's so we have been very fortunate in that regard. It's supposed to cool off about 30 degrees over the weekend so we're pushing hard. A friend dropped by yesterday and helped in the afternoon and that really sped things up. One guy cutting and two hanging seems ideal.

I need to finish my AC wiring on the first available rain day (just can't do it after moving siding all day), so then my electrician can do the hookup and we'll have POWER yeah baby!

Remember that rig with the KP301's? THat's what I've been rolling out on the motor court to play tunes ( ok, I don't use the sub, no point on abusing my hearing too much). I set up an iPod folder with all my Led Zep, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf, and Yes- scrambled by sorting in reverse alphabetical order . It's about 500 songs, we made it from Z to S yesterday! LOL

M

Stopped by today and saw the Colter Brothers... Busy busy they are!

Coming along just fine Michael. Nothing like some construction to bring you and brother Steve together too. Was great to see Jeff, brother number three at your house the other day too. You must feel good you have family when you need them.

Roger

My ears are ringing from all the sawing and starting to get a bit of raspy voice from all the dust, but on we move.

Dude, I should have sent you one of the awesome respirators I have. There's a 3M warehouse nearby that has semi-annual sales (of overstock, etc.). I got these respirators (the kind with replaceable cartridges) for 5 bucks each! Send me your address, and I'll get one off to you Priority (2 days). Heck, I'll throw in some blue tape ($2 a roll), Nexcare bandaids (like, 25 cents a box) and some other stuff. N/C of course, bro. I wish I'd thought of it sooner. Oh well, you can use it for insulation!

Thanks Gregg, I"m just beyond exhausted and got injured today and sent Steve home early.

UPDATE- Monday Nov 10. I did wiring for 3 hours on Saturday and 4 on Sunday (my birthday of all things). Electrician STILL hasn't shown up- arrrgggh

Steve and I continue to make progress on siding, all that is left is the long wall with doors, and both high gable ends. We'll have to reconfigure scaffolding for that. Making plans to get limestone cap material for the stone wainscott, and ordering drywall so we can have some up as soon as electrical is inspected but before garage doors are hung on Thursday (hopefully)

whew! At least its pleasant outside again today, probably high 50's but sunny and no wind. Wind is the enemy when you're hanging siding.

Edit of Edit- found out it never reached 50 today, no wonder I was shivering hours after coming inside! brrrrrrr

Later- oh yeah, pics to follow.

M