Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

Lumber package delivered Wednesday morning. Trusses are due to arrive Monday. This is all the 2x4x10 for walls, plate material, over 100 sheets OSB for sheathing and roof decking, SmartTrim boards and soffit material, pallet of tar paper, soffit vents, sill seal, and various nails. $3919 in all!

That's Sammy and Gypsy patrolling the work site!

post-10755-13819418797164_thumb.jpg

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 hours later... this represents 4 men working all day Thursday. We're ready to put on top plates, sheathing, and Tyvek on Friday! I bought three windows and steel entry door today for less than $500! I left a 8" gap over the top of the entry door for a transom light made either of stained glass or glass block.

I am using a 8 foot high door for the double main garage door, there is a single 9x7 door on the workshop side (for aiming loudspeakers over the play lawn). Three windows high enough to hopefully not plunge a board through and not interrupt work bench space.

From this photo you're looking at the back wall to the left and the shop space which is 1/2 the building at 24x32. The 'window' opening very high up on the back wall is for my 220 V A/C unit (don't worry about the height, it has automatic remote controls)- set high up to preserve workbench space. There are also two 'lead-ins' on the back and wall to the right, which allows me the option to wall off a 12x16 area for office/clean room/ temp controlled space. The PEX tubing is arranged so that loops 1&2 cover most of the shop and all of the office space, so I could allow to adjust the heat for that zone separately.

post-10755-13819418798384_thumb.jpg

Looking awesome! Yes

Yes it does, I love looking at a slab ready to build, my favorite part, making something out of nothing ! Paradise

Here here! Especially when the weather is about a high of 70 degrees and sunny, with a slight breeze, and you've got nothing else on your mind except laying out plates and cutting studs. Makes me want to strap on a toolbelt and make some sawdust.

Greg

It's been a great week, the weather has been perfect. It even rained lightly the night and day after pouring the slab so I didn't have to hose it down! Weather has been exactly as you predicted Greg. Being the homeowner with an experienced crew hired, I've just been another grunt laborer but check dimensions and fine tune placement of windows and doors as we go along. Crew Chief Dan got to do the real layout but he runs a tight crew so I have to stand aside and let him.

I try to help but stay out of the way at the same time. Days like Friday I just get to run around an buy stuff, but doing the General Contractor's job should save me about $6,000 on the total job. With that I can afford to have my block layers do the demo on stone wall and wainscott this building's front side (that was in the eventual plan.

Now to find an electrician who will do the main run from house to workshop and allow me to do all the internal wiring but still stay legal with permit and inspection.

I'm going to let brother Steve bid on the shingles, but he'll probably be on the high side. The carpenters have bid $450 to lay 18 squares. It's a straight shot on new construction 5/12, should be an easy job.

Twenty five bucks a square for laying roof shingles is ridiculously cheap. That would be $900 minimum here, and most guys want $1350, which includes labor only for a row of ice and water sheild, drip edge, starter shingles, shingles, ridge vent, and caps. Three tab costs a little more than architectural.

I work with a licensed master electrician who charges me $30 an hour. We work right with him drilling holes, setting boxes and pulling wires and it saves us a bundle. When you're dealing with an electrician, it's always better if the charge isn't a shock. [:|]

Greg

When you're dealing with an electrician, it's always better if the charge isn't a shock.

Boy if that wasn't a electrifying line! hehehehehehe

Hey Roger, what kinda crack is that?? Oops, I was thinking of plumbers...

Hey Michael -

Just a thought I had when you mentioned that opening for an A/C unit. You won't need that opening if you were to opt for one of these Mr. Slim units from Mitsubishi: http://www.mrslim.com/

I had one of these units in the HT room of my last house and it did a super job of cooling and is much more efficient than a window type unit. And because of its design there only needs to be (2) penetration holes for the inside unit - the suction & return coolant lines. Cost-wise, they're pretty close to a window unit. However, you'll make that cost up & more due to increased efficiency.

Oh.....BTW, I know you're taking photos to show us, but I've found that photos of all walls BEFORE the inside wall coverings are in place can come in handy later - especially when you're trying to remember where you actually ran wiring or a cable or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Oh.....BTW, I know you're taking photos to show us, but I've found that photos of all walls BEFORE the inside wall coverings are in place can come in handy later - especially when you're trying to remember where you actually ran wiring or a cable or whatever.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Great idea, Tom. You can also refer to the photos when you're trying to find that one missing gym sock...[;)]

Good plan on the photos Tom. I'll document everything. It's the 'Colter way'.

I already had a 220V A/C unit from the farm house. It's a very efficient modern unit from Kenmore, has remote control even and does an 'auto-circulate' every so often to circulate the room air, test the temp, and run the compressor if necessary. Thanks for the tip on the thin units. I think that's what a neighbor put in when they 4-seasoned their porch.

And Gregg, per convention, don't all construction workers leave something behind in a wall somewhere? I've found the weirdest things- whiskey bottle, harmonica, interesting men's magazines from Japan [:S]. We left a surprise for my brother when we framed his house a few years back but I think the mice ate it, they were acting kind of funny there for a bit...[;)]

Michael

Half the roof trusses are up. I just bought $200 of Paslode nails- I guess if you want something built you've got to buy nails! Ok, I'm going out to man a shovel and work on my window wells on the house. Ugh, someone has to do the grunt work, might as well be the homeowner.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Great idea, Tom. You can also refer to the photos when you're trying to find that one missing gym sock...Wink

Or when you tell the builder that the light fixture for just outside the sliding glass door is missing. And he says it's not there probably because no electrical was pulled to that location. And you say, well that's not what this photo I took of that location shows. And he says, oh he!!.....and the stucco has been applied and is finished. And you say, yeah....and there's now a live wire in that wall and too bad for the stucco.

Not that I would know anything about a situation like that.

Tom

We take "reference" photos of all our projects and they've come in handy more than once. Usually it's drywall covered outlets, sometimes caused by insulation kraft facing covered outlets.

I'm pretty sure that "the walls" is where all those utility knives and pencils are.

Greg