Colter's Shop of Klipsch

colterphoto1

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bad news today, the limestone wall I'm demoing and was going to use for wainscotting is brittle and the mortar is too strong. It's coming apart in pieces.

Guess it'll be all Hardiplank. Limestone would be another $2,000 just for 42" on the front facade. Not in the budget.

But I got to swing a sledge hammer a lot today! [:@]

Here's Bobcat operator and chief carpenter Dan. He's a mountain of a guy. It took he and I together to toss those 36 foot trusses up on the the top of the 11 foot sidewalls. Dan's been here every good weather day since we began (except for James Dean Days in Fairmont where he lives). One other thing- Dan braces the daylights out of stuff he builds! He checks all my work too 'since his name is on the building'. That's some great pride in craftsmanship there.

post-10755-13819419104106_thumb.jpg

Pretty trusses on a beautiful October afternoon. The guys got all roof decking on this week and black paper on Thursday just in time for the all day showers on Friday. 3/4 of the exterior trim is done, only one more gable and soffit to run on Monday. Shingles were delivered Friday afternoon while I was out shopping electrical parts.

post-10755-13819419104866_thumb.jpg

Same camera postion on these next two shots. Here's the 20-year old pole barn (with finished interior) that is on an adjoining property that used to be part of my estate. This is what I fought for through legal and zoning battle and lost. The guy has a building with no residence on a lot that's too small for the neighborhood. In 2012 the neighbor on the other side will take this over. At one stage I had offered $40,000 for the 14 foot walled building and 1/2 acre and was willing to go higher. My building will cost less than that, build exactly to my specifications, brand spanking new, on a real foundation.

post-10755-13819419105228_thumb.jpg

Here we are as of about Tuesday of this week. My shop has 10 foot sidewalls, 5/12 pitch and 2 foot overhangs to mirror the home. Despite being exactly the same footprint and same overall height as the old building (to amuse the zoning folks should we receive any complaints), I think this looks much more to scale and in keeping with a residential neighborhood.

We're going to put Hardiplank horizontal siding on and I'm using double wide panel garage doors. Everything we do is to emphasize horizontal lines in keeping with the Bedford cut stone on my house. This side looks at the workshop end with window above the soldering station and 9' wide door for aiming the LSI's or MCM's over the play lawn- woo hoo! In lieu of reusing the limestone cut out of the motor court wall, I'm thinking of putting 4 courses of split-face block on the front facade of the building to further tie the building in with the rest of the estate.

GREG- can you help me determine the correct size of hot water heater for this building? 40 gallon electric could run 9000 watts- yikes! Also need pump info like how many CFM and if you have brand names or contact for me. Thanks!

And check out that BLUE SKY will ya? I don't remember ever being this tanned and blonde in October!

post-10755-1381941910655_thumb.jpg

Trusses...the power of the triangle!!

Looks great, Michael. Do you need a water heater tank? Have you explored the point-of-use option? I mean, if you're not taking baths or showers, or doing your laundry...

Dan looks like a good dude! He seems to know what he's doing, eh?[;)] Ask him why does he put the OSB out onto the overhangs before hanging the varge rafter? You're not going to be civilized, and wait until you have scaffolding, are you?

Colter: I assumed you were not worried about hooking up the floor heat at the moment, but if you were shopping for the pump, I would insist on getting a Grundfos, in my experience ( 3 outdoor hot water furnaces in the family ) they are the most reliable, with two of them delivering over 4 years non-stop 24/7/365 pumping. They draw very very little current at all.

As far as a model #, I would contact your local HVAC outlet and let them determine the model, as you have a lot of pipe in the floor. As far as their 3 speed pumps go, I would say you should be fine on the lowest setting, as far as speed goes.

I started the electrical wiring this week and brother Steve came over to being roofing. Wiring is slow going as I'm fine tuning everything as I carefully proceed.

Carpenters did not show today, they have one day left on gable/trim package. Then it's up to Steve and I to get this thing sided with HardiPlank. Some split-face block will arrive Wed for my mason on Thursday, we'll dig areas for drive and two stoops someday soon and Carlos can finish up the concrete work. Still got to get electrician here to get electrical permit, trench, and hookup circuit box to house. Then Steve and I will finish electrical, insulate and drywall ceiling for now. That should keep me busy until Thanksgiving.... whew.

It got cold here today, the first freeze warnings are tonight. I'm aching like crazy, cold weather and climbing up and down scaffold all day is a young man's sport.

M

We started on September 29, today is October 29 and carpenter crew finished up gables and trim this morning. 30 days of 4 weeks is just what I had in mind. Brother Steve is installing my shingles today, it's beautiful weather again after a couple of days in the 40's with sub-freezing weather at night.

Split face block for front wainscot is arriving today, to be hung tomorrow. I am ordering James Hardi siding right now. Electrician contacted and we're ready for sturctural final inspection.

Thanks for askin'!Wink

I got the Dewalt DW716. It's a 12-inch double compound, non-slider, that can cut a 2X10. I wanted a non-slider because they're really more stable than the sliders, and I wanted a real precise saw. I picked up a Forrest Chopmaster blade (locally, on Craigslist) for use with furniture and stain-grade trim. It's pretty light, too. At least it's lighter than my 15-inch Hitachi!

I bought it on Amazon. They had it for $377, with a Dewalt tool of your choice (4 choices). I chose the LED light accessory. It casts a shadow on the work, indicating where the kerf is. Pretty neat!

DW716 at Amazon

Free LED light

(sigh......) Maybe one day my lowly el-cheapo 10" compound miter saw will grow up to a DW716. Crying

I've been doing more trim work projects lately and a 10" saw is a PITA due to the cutting width limitation. And I'd love to have one of those miter saw stands with the support extensions. Sheesh......you should see the jerry-rigged contraptions I come up with. Embarrassed

Something I've noticed that you don't see much anymore is radial arm saws. Wonder why??

Tom

Well fini.....my 10" miter saw did grow up. Yessireebob......Santa came early this year courtesy of a Home Depot sale and a wife that got worn down by a husband whining. LOL Big Smile

BUT......I didn't buy the DW716 which is what I originally wanted. Instead, I got this Rigid Tool saw instead.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100618253&N=10000003+90401+500713+1600

Basically it looks like they matched DeWalt feature-for-feature. The buying decision came down to the sale price of $269 (over $100 cheaper than the DW716) and the fact that it has a lifetime warranty.

Now to wear the wife down on that Ryobi miter saw stand. Devil

Tom

• Moderators

Tom, it's not a miter saw stand, but they are really handy and I bought a couple at Lowe's and they were only $12 each, they look exactly like the red one in this link, couldn't find on the Lowe's site?

http://woodworlds.com/AOM/shop.php?c=pwrtools&n=552620&i=B00008WFT8&x=Crawford_WM_5_Contractors_Choice_Workmover_Adjustable_27_12_Inch_to_43_12_Inch_Tall_Roller_Stand

Tom, it's not a miter saw stand, but they are really handy and I bought a couple at Lowe's and they were only $12 each, they look exactly like the red one in this link, couldn't find on the Lowe's site?

http://woodworlds.com/AOM/shop.php?c=pwrtools&n=552620&i=B00008WFT8&x=Crawford_WM_5_Contractors_Choice_Workmover_Adjustable_27_12_Inch_to_43_12_Inch_Tall_Roller_Stand

I got a couple of those from Sears on sale but sure for more than $12. Mine converts from single roller to several ball bearings to flat. Very usefull though I really would like a stand for my mitre saw.

Yep.....I've seen those at Lowe's and Home Depot. I think Harbor Frieght Tools (gawd I love wandering around in that place) has them too.

Not sure I'll get it, but I saw this at Sears and it was on sale for $190.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922023000P

Tom