Question about exchanging failed CDs

pauln

The reason I'm asking is because I really don't know, I don't buy them, and was wondering.

Just a simple question... how long after buying a CD may you return it for exchange if it goes bad?

If I buy a record, I expect to be able to return it within a few days if it has a problem, but after a few weeks or months or years I can understand why a return would be refused - playing it eventually takes it toll, especially with the expected playback on unknown pedestrian equipment and various levels of user care employed in handling, storing, and cleaning them. If I ran a record store I would certainly not take back records for exchange beyond a window of a few days - long enoughto allow the buyer to determine if it has problems in it's new condition.

On the other hand, is not one of the fundamental attributes of the CD that it should be like new indefinitely, should not degrade in quality, should not develop problems through time from time itself or playing? This seems to be a whole different kind of music purchase. Furthermore, since there is increased awareness now days that you are paying for the "license" to own and play the music, does not that extend for any length of time? Has anyone ever taken back a 3-4 year old CD to be exchanged because the original went bad? I'm thinking that if I ran a CD store I would have trouble coming up with an argument not to replace bad ones, even old ones. With all the current interest in the music business about illegal music, does not a proper legal purchase of a CD entitle you to ownership of that music despite media failure?

A purchase of a CD gives you no intitlement over copyright of the music on a CD... But if your CD proves to be defective in manufacture you might be able to get a replacement,,But even that might have time limitations ,,depends on the company or lable,,,I had a Telarc CD that developed Laser Rot 10 yrs later the Company replaced the CD.

The reason I'm asking is because I really don't know, I don't buy them, and was wondering.

Just a simple question... how long after buying a CD may you return it for exchange if it goes bad?

If I buy a record, I expect to be able to return it within a few days if it has a problem, but after a few weeks or months or years I can understand why a return would be refused - playing it eventually takes it toll, especially with the expected playback on unknown pedestrian equipment and various levels of user care employed in handling, storing, and cleaning them. If I ran a record store I would certainly not take back records for exchange beyond a window of a few days - long enoughto allow the buyer to determine if it has problems in it's new condition.

I buy from a local used/new record shop and since they know me they are more flexible on returns.

On the other hand, is not one of the fundamental attributes of the CD that it should be like new indefinitely, should not degrade in quality, should not develop problems through time from time itself or playing? This seems to be a whole different kind of music purchase. Furthermore, since there is increased awareness now days that you are paying for the "license" to own and play the music, does not that extend for any length of time? Has anyone ever taken back a 3-4 year old CD to be exchanged because the original went bad? I'm thinking that if I ran a CD store I would have trouble coming up with an argument not to replace bad ones, even old ones. With all the current interest in the music business about illegal music, does not a proper legal purchase of a CD entitle you to ownership of that music despite media failure?

If they truly wanted CDs to last forever they would have started them in cartridges like minidiscs. That would have been more durable but no they don't want that. How many CD's have you rebought over the years.

I recently bought some DVD's at a closeout store. I think they were something like $6.00 each ($5.99 kinda thing) so I figured I'd give them a whirl. I'm not much of a movie dvd buyer, just concert dvd's.

One of them "Bug" has some clear issues where the player just stops and maybe skips or maybe just stops totally. It's rampant throughout the disk and frankly, the disk should just be tossed away. You can't really watch most of this movie and still get the main parts because it's always freezing and skipping.

I think it was at this store on clearance because it was defective and they essentially, sold me the defective disk. Since however, the disks (in my case) were labeled as previously open (or was it previously watched?) I'm just taking it on the chin and will toss it away....unless of course, anyone here would like a killer deal on a movie starting Ashley Judd? (even has some skin shots [;)])

Your's for only $19.99 plus shipping & handling.... but wait!! (in my best Ron Popeill voice) there's more!!! I'll double the offer and include this free set of ginsu knives.... you just pay shipping & handling..... [6]

My Local Barnes and noble book store has a very large music section........I bought a special release Oscar peterson CD and about 6 months later it failed...they gave me a new one ...smart of them I have bought a boat load of stuff from that particular store

So I guess it really depends on the store and manager on duty....

I don't think I've ever had a CD "go bad" in 25 years! I can't even recall buying a defective one, although I probably have sometime. I've had a lot more problems with broken jewel boxes. I don't know why they keep making those things!! I hate'm. I wish they'd go to cardboard gatefolds. Those are nice.

..."how long after buying a CD may you

return it for exchange if it goes bad?"

http://www.amazon.com/DSR-R1-DVD-Repair-Machine-Kit/dp/B000GX31G6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220617199&sr=8-2

Works great. Only severely damaged or

cracked disks are not repairable

Chris

..."how long after buying a CD may you return it for exchange if it goes bad?"

http://www.amazon.com/DSR-R1-DVD-Repair-Machine-Kit/dp/B000GX31G6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220617199&sr=8-2

Works great. Only severely damaged or cracked disks are not repairable

Chris

So I guess that works on the idea that the problem is damage to the thin coat of plastic protecting the aluminum film that contains the digitial data?

Unless, of course, the "thin coating of plastic", i.e., lacquer, has somehow been ground off and the metal data layer exposed. Then you have an "end of life" issue. This might be a problem with Blu-Ray disks, but not any other type of optical disk that I'm aware of.

However, I've never really heard of this happening to anyone before.

Chris