Pioneer Elite KURO 60" Plasma ! One word "AMAZING" picture quality

TheEAR

Well I have one Sharp Aquos 46"(will be moved to the test,tiny HT) in the main HT right now,to be replaced with the Elite KURO 50",I have a Sharp Aquos 37"in the eating area. I have a Toshiba 26" in another room just to have a TV for the news and other hoopla.Four is enough.

=

The Pioneer Elite plasma is the BEST picture I have seen. But it's price made it a no go for me. I wanted 60", as I was upgrading from a 50" DLP that had a shiny glass front much like a plasma. My room has a skylight that made tv watching during the day impossible with my old tv. So that ruled out plasmas as a group with their glossy fronts. The cost of a 60" LCD was even more ridiculous at the time and their "dynamic" contrast ratios are dirt low. I found the Samsung DLP 61" for a cool $2k and I'm in heaven. Incredible big, sharp picture and reasonable price, and no glare. That said, I still want an Elite because its picture is on a whole 'nother level.

The Pioneer Elite plasma is the BEST picture I have seen. But it's price made it a no go for me. I wanted 60", as I was upgrading from a 50" DLP that had a shiny glass front much like a plasma. My room has a skylight that made tv watching during the day impossible with my old tv. So that ruled out plasmas as a group with their glossy fronts. The cost of a 60" LCD was even more ridiculous at the time and their "dynamic" contrast ratios are dirt low. I found the Samsung DLP 61" for a cool $2k and I'm in heaven. Incredible big, sharp picture and reasonable price, and no glare. That said, I still want an Elite because its picture is on a whole 'nother level.

Pioneer uses some sort of anti glare glass or glass coating. I'm not quite sure how it works, but glare isn't an issue on this panel. If you can find a showroom with a 50 or 60 inch Elite along side some other panels, you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to be in the market for a new HDTV soon (my old Sony projection is about on its last legs after 29 years of service).

I can get a Panasonic TH-50PZ77U right now for $1199 but I might jump for a 50" Pioneer KURO.

My question is: I notice the Pioneer has a cable card slot (the Panasonic's ~ even newer models do not). Will the cable card completely eliminate the need for a digital HD converter box from the cable company (Comcast), or does the cable card only work with NTSC/SD Digital cable signals?

EDIT: called Comcast the next day. CableCard pretty much does everything the digital cable box does except for the interactive features such as the program menu and on-demand services.

your set is undoubtedly the best EAR, but it is funny how you take pioneers claim of 60,000 to heart and laugh at panasonics 100,000 =D Doesn't panasonic make your pioneer screen anyway? =)

"Panasonic has been tapped to pinch-hit for Pioneer.

The two television makers said Wednesday they had come to an agreement in which Panasonic will produce the panels for Pioneer's plasma televisions.

(Credit: Pioneer)

The news comes a month after reports surfaced that Pioneer was pulling out of the plasma business. When Pioneer confirmed it would be finding someone who could make the panels more inexpensively than it could, there was a sense of dismay and disappointment among fans of its Kuro technology. Pioneer plasma TVs are generally regarded by experts--including CNET Reviews' David Katzmaier--as having the blackest black levels of any TV on the market.

In a joint statement, the two companies said they will build a new type of panel that integrates Pioneer's Kuro technology and Panasonic's NeoPDP, which it currently uses in its Viera TVs. Panasonic will have the panels sporting the new, combined technology ready for Pioneer by the second half of 2009.

Panasonic is the largest producer of plasma TVs, so the panels should be more affordable for Pioneer, which is trying to cut costs. Neither has said how much the panels will cost."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9927835-7.html

In a joint statement, the two companies said they will build a new type of panel that integrates Pioneer's Kuro technology and Panasonic's NeoPDP, which it currently uses in its Viera TVs.

Yeah the Viera is a heck of a plasma! Like I said might not be a Kuro but for the price its the best bang for the buck IMHO.

Josh,

What amuses me is not that other claim 100000 hours,it is the fact even if the sets only lasted 40000 hours before the so called "half" life of the unit...I would not be othered much. I understand those who let the TV run 24/7 would.

gotcha =)

congrats on your purchase - if you ever grow tired of it... =D