Matching sub for RF-7's

redux999

Hi there,...

I need a sub that will match good with my RF-7 speakers to fill up the void spaces in my bad acoustic room over here.

Will the RW-10d be a good deal for me ?

redux999,

The RW-10d has a maximum accoustic output of 112db. Your RF-7s have a sensitivity of 102 db @ 1 watt / 1 meter. Your RF-7s will pass the maximum accoustic output of that sub at 8 watts of power per channel and be putting out 114db, so unless you are using a little set amplifier, the answer is no. Klipsch made the RSW-15 to go with the RF-7s, and that is the least sub I would go with unless you run a pair of subs, but you failed to mention if this is for two channel listening or surround, and you neglected room size.

Roger

Just so I'm not confused, if the sensitivity is at 102db @ 1watt/1meter, at 8 watts, it should be 111db.?. No?

RF62,

102db at 1 watt, 105db at 2watts, 108db at 4 watts, 111db at 8 watts, but as I said 8 watts per channel, he has 2 speakers, so the combined pair of speakers at 8 watts each increases the output by another 3db!! Decibels are not a linear measurenment, while 10 db sounds twice as loud to the human ear, 3 db is twice the sound pressure, hence adding 3db for the second speaker. Sensitivity ratings are for a single speaker only. When adding a second 18 inch subwoofer, I only gain 3db to my sub output. Does this clarrify it??

Roger

hello, I have a pair of klf-10s which I am told has very similar output to the rf-7s. I am running a synergy sub-12 and it has WAY enough output for me, I will probably never run the sub to it's full output no matter how loud I listen to my speakers. If you like the rw-10d you could go with the 12 inch version since it has almost as much output capability as the sub-12.

Dan

Hi Roger,..

first off all, a pic of my room over here ... sorry guys .. it's in meters and centimeters,.. I live in Belgium Europe you know.

So

5m60 = 560cm = 18.37 feet

3m60 = 360cm = 11.81 feet

1m60 = 160cm = 5.25 feet

The pic. is not so accurate ... but the distances are. The big couch is exactly in the middle of the room.

Distance between the RF-7's --> 7.9 feet

Distance listening position to RF-7's --> 8.85 feet

Posted Image

Posted Image

brown: RF-7's turned a bit to the listening position and rather close to the wall ... about 1 feet .. to have a little more bass.

red: 2 couches .. the biggest is the listening position.

black and white : plasma TV and in front of it, a rather big marble table

Harman Kardon receiver AVR132 (2x40Watt stereo mode, 5x30Watt surround mode)

I'm rather a stereo listener but I do like a very good surround sound when I'm watching a movie.

As surround speakers,... I have a pair of bookshelf's RB-15 which do the job very good.

The problem over here is that I'm missing the really low frequency's,.. the ones you hear in explosion scenes in movies for instance.

I feel them .. but I don't hear them. When I hold my head above the table or stand 3 ... 4 feet behind the couch ... plenty plenty of real eartshaking low.

It's like I'm sitting at some kind of a dead spot for the low frequency's so I hope that a sub can fill this void a bit.

I am using a pair of RF-5s (an RC-7 center) I use an RW-12d and I am very satisfied. The RW-12d has great sounding musical bass, good punch and goes low enough to shake the walls for great home theater. I think the RW-12d is a very good step up from the RW-10d and I would recommend it.

Hi Roger,..

first off all, a pic of my room over here ... sorry guys .. it's in meters and centimeters,.. I live in Belgium Europe you know.

So

5m60 = 560cm = 18.37 feet

3m60 = 360cm = 11.81 feet

1m60 = 160cm = 5.25 feet

The pic. is not so accurate ... but the distances are. The big couch is exactly in the middle of the room.

Distance between the RF-7's --> 7.9 feet

Distance listening position to RF-7's --> 8.85 feet

woonkameryf7.th.jpg

dsc05125bf1.th.jpg

brown: RF-7's turned a bit to the listening position and rather close to the wall ... about 1 feet .. to have a little more bass.

red: 2 couches .. the biggest is the listening position.

black and white : plasma TV and in front of it, a rather big marble table

Harman Kardon receiver AVR132 (2x40Watt stereo mode, 5x30Watt surround mode)

I'm rather a stereo listener but I do like a very good surround sound when I'm watching a movie.

As surround speakers,... I have a pair of bookshelf's RB-15 which do the job very good.

The problem over here is that I'm missing the really low frequency's,.. the ones you hear in explosion scenes in movies for instance.

I feel them .. but I don't hear them. When I hold my head above the table or stand 3 ... 4 feet behind the couch ... plenty plenty of real eartshaking low.

It's like I'm sitting at some kind of a dead spot for the low frequency's so I hope that a sub can fill this void a bit.

Redux999,

If you have to stay in the Klipsch line-up, The RSW-15 is a good choice and your area is not that big. I have two Velodyne HGS-18IIs and love them, but if I were buying all over again, I agree with Jackdonbart, The best bang for the buck is the Epic, get the Conquest if you can fit it in the room, you can always turn it down if you need to[6]

Roger

Roger .... the RSW-15 is way above my budget so that's a no go [*-)]

I guess,.. if I buy me a sub,..it will be the RW-12 or the RW-12d but I cannot exactly figure it out what the differences are between those two.

It looks that the spec. differences are not that big ... the price differences over here in belgium are !

I guess,.. if I buy me a sub,..it will be the RW-12 or the RW-12d but I cannot exactly figure it out what the differences are between those two.

The main difference between the RW-12 and RW-12d is the RW-12d is the current model with new digital style controls. The new digital controls are easy to use and also make the sub work with some remote controls. I have the RW-12d and use my URC MX-850 remote control with it this is really a nice feature.

The RW-12 is the older version which is no longer made, it has std controls and is not remote capable.

Both are great subs, sure Klipsch has better and more expensive subwoofers but the RW-12 / RW-12d is a very nice sub and an excellent sub in it's price range.

Before I bought my RW-12d I tried an HSU subwoofer after seeing many positive things about HSU subs and learning that HSU was located only a couple miles from where I live. Well I returned the HSU sub after less than a week as I was disappointed in how it sounded with music. I bought my RW-12d and I am very happy I did. I love the way the RW-12d sounds, I like the quality and look much more and I really love the digital controls and being able to use my remote control to control the subwoofer.

Roger .... the RSW-15 is way above my budget so that's a no go Confused

It looks that the spec. differences are not that big ... the price differences over here in belgium are !

the rw-12d can be had for 4-500 bucks. the one i have sounds very good. it plays well musically, and is really superb with movies. it is also a very nice looking piece. i usually end up turning it down for movies unless its just me watching. unless you have some serious power behind your 7's, it should hold its own just fine.

I power the RF-7's with only 40Watts a channel in stereo-mode which is more then enough for me askbob1 [:)]

Even in surround mode,.. where there is only 30Watts a channel, they still go very very loud.

Today a guy came by and brought his Denon AVR-1909 receiver with him to check if yhe Audessey-function on that receiver could solve my "low"problems.

Nope ... not really .... the sound enhanced a bit but I'm still missing those very low frequency's at my listening position so the option of buying me a sub ... probably the RW-12d ,.. is open again.

RF-7 come alive with some meaty solid state amps,I now use theParasound HALO monoblocks to power my RF7's. Now we are talking juiced up,and what combination! Stunning match.

I am very impressed with Parasound's HALO line of amps and the monoblocks are something to behold (sound wise),the power supply uses almost 2KVA or transformer and 160000 microfarad in caps. That is PER channel as these are monoblocks.

Even tried the little Parasound Z series 45W/channel micro amp...amazing performer and great match for RF7's! To anyone looking for great solid state amplification match with Klipsch speakers,Parasound has many answers.

And how do you connect a sub like the RW-12d to a receiver ?

I have a Harman Kardon receiver which has a sub-out connection.

Now what I have read here and there is that there are different ways to connect a sub;

- using the high inputs should be the best for pure stereo-mode

- using the sub-out on the receiver ... the best way for movies ... the LFE channel you know

- I've read that a combination of both is also a possibility in some cases .... ????

So ... what do y'all think about how to connect a sub to the amp ?