FH1 Curves?

Wrinkles

I have searched the forum to no avail. There were Forum members who were going to compare the Peavy FH1 cabinet to the LaScalla bass bin using the K33 driver in both, if I remember correctly. Some of the Forum members have commented that from their experience the Black Widow driver is not as good as the K33 in terms of distortions. Speaker reponse software programs were run and I understand that they can be fairly accurate in calcuating expected speaker response. So, I was wondering if anyone had actually run the live signal response tests and maybe just not have published the results here.

Also, has anyone ever put a K402 on top of a FH1? (Blasphemy perhaps?)

Thanks,

Wrinkles

As I said int he other thread.

FH1's are great bass bins..

This summer I plan to (a vs B) them with La scala bottoms..(SInce I have one extra la scala bottom and use the split tops..)

********** (EDIT, I got the split industrial La SCALA tops thanks to HudsonValleyNoah.. GREAT FIT, IMO!! I put a milk crate between them to add height for the top section and they ROCK! )

I
wanted to build/put together a set of speakers I can roll out of the
garage for summer parties, working outside, playing with the kids...
etc etc. Grab the ipod a small amp and rock n roll! Be great to use
for a BBQ someplace too?

FH1's and 402 JubeScalas I guess call em JubeFH1's would be a fantastic match!

I feel the bottoms are stronger in the FH 1's with the braces and bigger cabinet. (I think heavier ply wood too.) I have orginal Peavey drivers in mine from 1978 (not a typo) I have played them with bands..as a DJ.. and now as a stereo system for fun! They NEVER quit on me, never blew up, always sounded great to me.

Thanks for the comments and link.

I was emailing a Craigslister about the purchase of his FH1s and Black Widow drivers only, but he wanted $500 for the pair and would throw in a Crown DC300A and a crossover which he would not describe to me in any way. It became evident that he did not want to split up the FH1s from the other gear mentioned.

$500 seemed too much to me for a 1970s amp and FH1s with the 15" Black Widow drivers. Was I off here?

Any idea what a pair of used FH1 speakers should normally sell for?

Thanks,

Wrinkles

$200 to $300 for the FH1s, the Crown amps are easily priced on EBay, and the Crown crossovers are pretty topnotch for pro audio applications. I have the bass bins, and will be getting the P-Audio 2" drivers and horns to create a poor man's pair of Jubilees sometime in the next two years. Got other things on the platter to finish now, but I'll be duplicating your project sooner or later.

Good luck with yours!

I've heard Indy's FH1's and while we've not fine-tuned his setup, those cabinets have much less cabinet resonance than the LS bass bin. They are very heavy, either they have more stiffening panels or are MDF or other material. You can knock on the sides and they don't ring at all. He has LS tops on his and just out of box with a tad of eq they sounded pretty magnificent to my ears. It's a bigger mouth than the LS too, should go a bit deeper.