Wifi Audio Streaming?

DrWho

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the lossless audio streaming products that work over Wifi?

I'm looking to purchase something that can transmit lossless audio from my computer to a magic box and then feed the digital output into my receiver. Source selection through the magic box with a remote would be a plus.

Right now, I think I'm looking at the Squeezebox Duet:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html
I really dig that rechargeable remote.

The Sonos stuff looks interesting too, but I'm not sure exactly what hardware I'd need to get???
http://www.sonos.com/whattobuy/
It looks like their cheapest budle is $1k and is the bare minimum to get fully running? Their Sonus Net stuff isn't going to be any advantage in my house as I've got strong wireless from my router everywhere in my house.

I really don't have a price range for what I'm looking for right now since I'm willing to save for a bit to get something that is truly what I'm looking for. I've seen some of the esoteric "audiophile" solutions, but if I'm feeding digital output I'm not sure how they're gaining me any benefit??? I think the most important thing is that the control interface isn't cumbersome, but it's hard to get a feel for that without playing with something first...

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I use a Squeezebox v.3 and I like it real well. It is a quality product, imho. So far, I have over 2700 tracks ripped in flac format and I stream them over a wireless connection with absolutely no problems, so far. No drop-outs, hang-ups, etc. Set-up was easy and straight forward. I really think this is the way to go if you want to keep costs down and have a lot of flexibility.

The only drag is ripping all those tunes! Like I said, I'm over 2700 and counting, and I only rip favorites...and I'm just through the "G's" in my collection! I figure when I get done, I'll have over 4000 tunes on the hard drive. Of course, people who rip their entire collection could accumulate a lot more. But I still like the hands-on experience of playing CD's, so if I want to hear the whole disc, that's what I do. I basically just use the Squeezebox like a jukebox. I select "random songs" and let'er rip!

So how does it work...do you have any softare running on your computer? Or do you just browse to the file on the harddrive? I think it would be mega cool to have a network drive that it just reads from (and then the computer wouldn't even need to be on).

I actually don't have a CD player, but usually listen to entire albums at a time. In the past, I've just been using my computer as my source, but that's not an option anymore at my new place.

Man, how I would love to have over 4000 albums...that's just insane. [:o]

I personally use an xbox360 for my streaming needs. I've got an older model so it's feeding my receiver via optical instead of HDMI but that's fine. It streams off my window vista pc in the office and it streams all my lossless WMA files via wifi without any hiccups. It actually works pretty well and is fairly intuitive. My wife uses it all the time to play her music in the living room. Only downside is I guess you have to have it hooked up to a tv to display the lists as there's no screen on the 360 so if you're looking for a standalone box for a 2 channel setup with no screen around, the 360 isn't for you. I really enjoy the versitility of the 360, streams audio, video, and in the late fall, it should be able to stream netflix movies assuming you have a netflix account.

So how does it work...do you have any softare running on your computer? Or do you just browse to the file on the harddrive? I think it would be mega cool to have a network drive that it just reads from (and then the computer wouldn't even need to be on).

Software...yes, you download "Squeezecenter" from the Slim Devices web site. That is the server software. Plus, you can, if you desire, integrate that with i-tunes. It all works quite well. Downside of the whole thing is yes, the pc does have to be running, but many people use a suitable NAS device to both store their music and run the server software. This seems to be the best set-up and what I hope to do eventually. That way, the pc is out of the loop and you can access all of your music, listen to internet radio or service providers (Pandora, Sirius etc) all without the pc being on.

Mike,

I will chime in as I have had the Sonos since May and I love it. It looks like from your post you are only looking to stream music to one location. If that is the case, then the Sonos is probably overkill and the squeezebox will be fine. The beauty of the Sonos is the ability to easily add multiple zones and synchonize playback. My music (7,000 tracks) is on a NAS box and that is all that needs to be on for playback. In addition the Sonos can use Napster or Rhapsody. We have Napster for our mp3 players so we already had a subscription. Now using just the Sonos and an internet connection we can stream millions of songs from Napster. They are not audiphile quality but certainly fine for parties and working around the house with tunes blasting! I have 2 zones now and 3 more to go!

Chris

Hmmm...sounds like a good way to justify buying a 360 Wink

Is the 360 pretty quiet when it's streaming? I seem to recall Damon doing this in his HT...and it was pretty cool. Can it do other file types besides just wma?

Well the definition of quiet is definitely subjective. When the 360 is playing games, it's definitely on the loud side imo, but on the dashboard or playing music its in idle mode so it's much quieter than when playing games. It's definitely not cd or dvd player quiet of course, but if i have the volume at a fairly low level, say about -45 on my yamaha 1800, I can't hear it when music is playing. Course i've got one of the older 360's as well, i'm not sure if the newer ones are quieter than the original design.

edit: As for other music types, I know it can obviously play mp3, and it can also play AAC as long as it's not DRM protected. Pretty sure it won't play FLAC or ogg.

Given the price of these things I find it cheaper just to use a PC at each main system, which is two. Both on wifi so I just stream from the NAS to them. The rest of my systems are served by the Ramsey FM transmitter. It's very, very clean...as clean as the very best classical or jazz FM station and was only 157.00 in kit form. My neighbors like it, too... [:D]

Dave

It looks like from your post you are only looking to stream music to one location. If that is the case, then the Sonos is probably overkill and the squeezebox will be fine.

Chris

You can buy multiple Squeezeboxes and sync them also. I've not tried this yet, but probably will eventually. Advantage here is you can add them as you want -at $300 a pop (maybe more for the duet?).

I hope I'm not sounding like a salesman here... I'm just reporting the facts as I see's 'em![8-|]

I use the squeeze box, don't know the version. I have had it for about 2 years. I also subscribe to Rhapsody which it works well with. I have it hard wired through my network, but it will also work wireless. I can go to raphsody and add new albums to my play list when ever I want. I listen to them a few times and if I really like them I buy the CD. There are also some free audio through squeeze networks, I just haven't got into it. There is also Pandora and other pay services. I really like the squeeze box and the sound quality seems fine.

Keith

Given the price of these things I find it cheaper just to use a PC at each main system, which is two.

Are your PCs quiet?

Noise is a pretty big issue for me - even something that can be heard at the listening position with no music playing is too loud really. I already have my laptop streaming music from my desktop computer right now, but it's nowhere near quiet enough and I don't like the absense of a remote or just the overall cumbersomeness (is that even a word?).

I actually thought about building my own FM transmitter too...since I'm not making any profit on it, I can kinda fudge the FCC specs and obtain extra performance. I might even be able to bust out a digital transmitter too and then run S/PDIF into my receiver....that's a lot of RF work though - and the board for it won't exactly be cheap (for one off prototyping).

You can buy multiple Squeezeboxes and sync them also. I've not tried this yet, but probably will eventually. Advantage here is you can add them as you want -at $300 a pop (maybe more for the duet?).

I hope I'm not sounding like a salesman here... I'm just reporting the facts as I see's 'em!Geeked

You are very correct. The reason that I said with that if he is only streaming to one location to get the squeeze box is that unless you are running multiple zones there is no advantage to the Sonos. The squeeze box is much cheaper to setup both single zone and multiple zones. Where the arguements come in in the Sonos vs. Squeezebox seems to be in the multiple zone streaming and then you get into ease of setup, synchronization, and use of bandwidth. I am not saying Sonos is better than Squeezebox in these areas, just what I have seen for flamefests on the Sonos/Squeezebox arguements.

I made my decision with Sonos and I have been very pleased. It is alot to invest. Others love the Squeezebox. If I was streaming to a single location and I didn't have the Denon 3808 (which streams on its own), then I would get the Squeezebox.

Chris

Mike:
Only moving part in MBS-5 is the system drive, and it is -33db and only audible if you put your ear on the case. The other one is noisier, but behind a closed door and therefore also inaudible.

I've designed a no moving parts music PC to use the via Epia miniitx board and embedded media Linux, but since I spent my latest mad money on the Korg MR-1 (VERY good move!) and these are doing the job I am in no hurry.

As to the FM, I strongly recommend the Ramsey FM-30. It's 250mw and covers my house and ground nicely at 3/4 power and a couple of neighbors as well. They also have a 1 watt kit if you want to cover several square miles and find out if the FCC is watching... At 157.00 I think the FM30 is one of the best deals in audio. It's as good as the best FM commercial station I've ever heard and seems to have more bass extension than any of them.

Dave

Are your PCs quiet?

Noise is a pretty big issue for me - even something that can be heard at the listening position with no music playing is too loud really. I already have my laptop streaming music from my desktop computer right now, but it's nowhere near quiet enough and I don't like the absense of a remote or just the overall cumbersomeness (is that even a word?).

Try an Apple MacBook ($1099), quiet no fan no noise (I keep mine next to me when listening to music). Add an Apple Express Airport ($100) and you'll be up and running iTunes wirelessly in minutes. Even if you only use it as a music server, it's still a deal. Load all of your favorite CD's and iTunes will catalog them, get artwork and convert them to Apple Lossless. Easy. Sounds Great. Easy! Sounds Great! Easy!! Sounds Great!!

post-24342-13819418360982_thumb.jpg

I'm with HiFi Jim

Hard to beat a Macbook / iTunes. Comes with remote or you can use iphone or iTouch.

Can put near unlimited storage away from listening location.

I'd use a Airpoirt Extreme for higher resolution. I use AIFF.

Can pull it off with a Mini if you don't mind dealing with the no screen.

Much quieter than a PC laptop I'd venture.

Only hear the Macbook if ripping.

I vote forr the mac mini. I use one with an M-audio stereophile interface. I got a terabyte drive hooked up to it. I have about 40,000 songs. Some are 128 and do not sound as good as apple lossless. I have not connected to other systems in the house wirelessly yet but I am told it is not difficult. I have begun to rip some vinyl. I will get a better DAC before I do a lot more vinyl copying. Good luck.

Just like others have said before ripping your music in a format suitable for you, FLAC LAME OGG what ever you choose and store it on your PC/Server then stream it via a game console, I use my PS3 for a quick access but still prefer CDs. Makes it nice if you cant find an album or particular song you want.

I, on the other hand, went the cheap route and got a 2.4ghtz transmitter at the shack for $15. It streams my wav files and internet radio just fine with no audible loss of SQ to these tired ears. It's barebones with none of the featuresa of the $300 squeezebox but does the trick for me.

I also use a mac mini and an airport. Super easy and great UI. I have it hooked to the tv and use my harmony to control it, so it just like another component. Not sure if all tv's do this, but when you connect the mini as a monitor, it turns goes to standby when the mini puts the monitor to sleep.