St. Louis gathering on Saturday, October 18

sheltie dave

After talking with Rex, we will be having a shindig on October the 18th!

I'll be firing up the grilles for some tasties, so bring your favorite victuals, beverages, and source gear if you want.

We have a lot on tap to listen to in different rooms.
Living room- Thiel CS 3.6s, Accuphase integrated
Vintage bedroom #1- Klipsch shorthorn, Wright Audio SET amp, tube preamp
Vintage study #2- Dynaco A25s, Sansui 5050 receiver
HT downstairs- Klipsch RF7s, RSW 15 sub, Carver 2000 receiver
Main system- Triamped Klipschorns with active crossover, Juicymusic Blueberry preamp, Nakamichi CD player
Vintage system- AR2a speakers, HK Citation II amp
New to us system- Thiel CS1.2s, McIntosh 1900
Outdoor rebel yell system- Altec VOTTs, Sansui G9000DB

This is a chance to hear some good time aligned speakers, varied two way speakers, and vintage stuff. With the plethora of gear on hand we won't be switching much, so if you want to hear a certain setup, come early and help!

Bill, we are civilized by 8 am, and it will end by 8 pm. I'll be gathering hotel info and post it tomorrow, along with any interesting concerts that weekend. Any out of towners would be welcome to come over the night before or catch a small session on Sunday, but with a six year old, and Rex with a one year old, means we can't be laying about in the yard drinking like we used to. :-)

You have a pm.

I was going to suggest that you notify the Gateway Audio Society, but I see that you already did. I'm a former St. Louisan; I'd be there if I could.

By the way, anybody know what ever happened to the old St. Louis Audio Society? I belonged to that back in the late 1970s.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpetty boo.

Edgar, the only info I gleaned from a couple gray haired audio types was that a roly poly doctor spearheaded things. I arrived in St. Louis in '79, so I missed out on SLAS.

I have the 1963 Khorns set up as well now, so you have two sets of the big guns to listen to - one triamped and one SET amped. It should be fun!

We have a lot on tap to listen to in different rooms.
Living room- Thiel CS 3.6s, Accuphase integrated
Vintage bedroom #1- Klipsch shorthorn, Wright Audio SET amp, tube preamp
Vintage study #2- Dynaco A25s, Sansui 5050 receiver
HT downstairs- Klipsch RF7s, RSW 15 sub, Carver 2000 receiver
Main system- Triamped Klipschorns with active crossover, Juicymusic Blueberry preamp, Nakamichi CD player
Vintage system- AR2a speakers, HK Citation II amp
New to us system- Thiel CS1.2s, McIntosh 1900
Outdoor rebel yell system- Altec VOTTs, Sansui G9000DB

What?? No Pilot 232??

Hmmm ... I don't remember a roly poly doctor. Perhaps that was before my time there, too. I remember Wylie Williams, who still shows up occasionally on Audio Circle Forums, and Len Hupp, and a few other faces for which I cannot remember names. Ancient history, I guess.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg, Wylie closed his stereo store on Manchester about four years ago and now works out of his house. I believe Len passed about six years ago or so. Flip's is also closed, and the only brick and mortars still open are Music for Pleasure and Hi Fi Fo Fum. Alpha is still around, Antech no longer repairs anything, and John Blaine also recently passed.

The ancients are the ones who have a corner on the good stuff around town. :-)

The ancients are the ones who have a corner on the good stuff around town. :-)

Wow, some familiar names from so long ago. I really liked Flip's Stereo. I hung around the Ballwin store a lot. Music for Pleasure was after my time. I remember when Hi Fi Fo Fum moved to a really nice storefront on Manchester Road near Hwy 141. I was just in that neighborhood last month, but Fum wasn't there. (Of course, my father shopped at Fum in Milwaukee, I think, when I was still a child.) And Antech Labs -- I think I bought a Revox turntable from them many years ago. I still have it, but I no longer use it. Pacific Stereo in Crestwood, where they had a back room that housed the "good" stuff -- Infinity Quantum Line Source speakers, SAE electronics, Kenwood KD-500 turntable with Infinity Black Widow tonearm -- cool stuff back then. And I heard my first Klipschorns at Don and Kathy's House of Music somewhere up north ... Florissant?

I feel old.

Thanks,

Greg

You forgot Hi Fi Showroon in Clayton,,,Owned by John Marshal... John passed away, Hi Fi West,, Owned by Harvy Bender , He owns a Rosewood JBL Paragon, THOSE WHERE the DAYS.... Van Sickle down town had a Khorn upstairs... Aeolian Music on Olive had audio upstairs,,,Fisher and HH Scott stuff,, St Louis Rocked back then,,, There were a couple of others stores I cant recall the names...

Dave, thanks for hosting this fine event. Those of you within' driving distance who were unable to attend missed out [:$]

A truly good time was had by all. [H]

The highlight for me was hearing the A7 VOTTs outside, and listening to the '62 Khorns inside (almost brought a tear to me eye).

Also, thanks to Colleen and you for all of the wonderful food - that went well beyond the usual hotdog/hamburger fare (yum!!)

Carl.

Dave, much thanks to you and your family for opening your home for some pretty amazing audio treats and some wicked Jambalaya (yes, I had to Google to get the spelling right, but you sure had the recipe right!).

Heard some great equipment (tri-amped Khorns), your long time searach for a set of '63 Khorns finally singing together, made some new St. Louis audio acquaintances and came away with new ideas......always a dangerous thing!

Thanks again and definitely let me know when you feel the need to do this again!