"RB or RS" What are you using for 7.1 rear surrounds

southflorida

Hi guys,

I am going to a 7.1 DD HD and DTS HD MA setup in a shallow depth room with the sofa 12" from the rear wall. I would love to use a third pair of rf-5's but I think it would look awkward having the sofa pulled out in the middle of the room. I have seen a few posts that have mentioned the use bipole/dipole for the rear surrounds, however it seems that RS7 or RS3 would be best visually if they were mounted to the wall. I am currently running an RC-7 (maple center) RF-5 (maple front) and RF-5 (maple rears) I just looked up THX recommendations at http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/dolby.html and it states to use direct radiating speakers for the rear surrounds, but my room is not that big.

What would you guys suggest keeping in mind the room is not deep. Also, is it true about the dipoles/bipoles as rear surrounds

RF-5, RB-5, RB-3, RS-7 or RS-3

If I go with RF or RB I would stick with maple.

I would love to see some of your setups for rear surrounds!

Thanks in advance!

if your room isn't that deep then you don't need the 7.1.....however.....if you want a 7.1 set up i would go with the rs speakers as your SIDES and a rb as your REARS. i have a 16x16 room and have a rc-7 center, rf-7 front, rs-42 sides, and rb-61 rears. just keep in mind your rear speakers get very little info so they really don't matter what kind you are use.

My speakers have changed over the last 5 years as I have evolved but the RS-7s have served well as the sides always (Academy in front). Mostly because they were fitted there when I built the basement and there they remain. I have had Chorus IIs as mains with Quartets as rears and now have the Belles as LR mains, RS-7 sides and Chorus IIs as rears. I am able to program what speakers are in use with each de-coding logic in use. Not done toying yet but the sides and matrixed rears are in use in movies and when I have the desire with SACD I let the rears play without the sides. I can set levels in the side/reasr as A or B or A+B. Hopefully in my quest for a 5 Belle setup the RS/Quartets/Chorus/Hersey is and Academy will all lend a hand as barter. In my 18 x 26 room, with my setup, I really don't think 6 or 7.1 really makes a difference and that 5.1 or 5.2 is the way for me.

Bottom line if I had to choose it would be RS for movie as they sound just fine with my Heritage and would go with RB/RF for music if I had the room. Lack of room I would think RS would be just fine, just me.

I was trying to match my surrounds with my rears, so I have RB-51's for both. My fronts are RF-62's and RC-62 (and 2 RW-12d's).

I have thought about trying RS-52's for the surrounds, but I don't know if it is really worth it at time time for me to switch.

don't give yourself a headache and your wallet a beating about speaker wire. get some good 12awg wire, run it to all your speakers and your good. i suggest monoprice.com for all cable/wire needs. good quality stuff and a great price. i purchased 300' of it to do my HT.

Thanks Inventor, I was thinking the same about the speaker wire. Heard god things about them and blue jean cable. I sold the monster biwire and Rotel 1066 amp that I had. I am actually upgrading to the sr805 as well. Do you ever find that the rc-7 sounds muffled at times? Maybe because the drivers are so large? I was wondering if a biwire for the center (with a network like mit or transparent)would help bypass the internal RC7's crossover, or if the only solution is having deang go to town on it (any idea what he charges)

Southflorida -

I've used BlueJean cable and the Beldon 5000UE in particular. Bought 200 feet unterminated, it is in-wall rated, probably 12 AWG as I remember. Twisted pairs, outer jacket, nice cable and a year or so ago it was comparable to buying 12 AWG lamp cord at Home Depot.

NIce folks at Blue Jeans cable, recommended.