Yamaha Receiver

Youthman

• Moderators

When I first heard an RF-7 system, they were hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V1700 as the pre/pro and a separate 200 watt/ch amp. Wow! It sounded amazing. I have the opportunity to buy a 6 month old Yamaha RX-V1800 for $500.00. It supports the new HD audio formats as well as has 4 HDMI inputs/1 output. I really liked the sound of the Yamaha whereas I have not been extremely happy with the sound of the Onkyo for 2ch, movies it is excellent. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Any thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 4 Yammies in various systems right now. I really like the latest menu screens and YPAO. Yamaha allows you to manually set your speaker settings, THEN do the YPAO for auto level, delay, PEQ. You can't do that with an Onkyo.

I love the sound of them and so does everyone who hears any of my systems. I don't understand all the Yamaha bashing.

• Moderators

I was very pleased with the Yamaha 1700 that I heard, but I wasn't sure if it was due to the amp or the actual Yammy. My guess is that it's mostly the Yamaha. The amp mainly amplifies the sound that it is provided with. I'm sure amps have characteristic sounds like receivers do. I think I'm gonna try and pick it up today or tomorrow. I'm pretty excited! I listed my Onkyo on CL last night. Will make a great HT receiver for someone not needing HDMI. Didn't meet my needs for 2 channel though. To some, it may be perfect.

Side question, I have an Onkyo iPod dock that I bought with the Onkyo Receiver. Can I use this with the Yamaha 1800? Apparently Yamaha has their own iPod Dock.

Made for iPod

The Made for iPod logo
indicates that the product is equipped to use an optional Yamaha
Universal iPod Dock that lets you connect your iPod to this product.
With the optional dock you can listen to your music and operate the
iPod via the product’s remote control while at the same time charging
the battery on your iPod. Depending on your product’s specifications,
some will allow you to use the On-Screen Display feature on your video
monitor to navigate your music. Some products can even allow you to
view your photos and movies from your iPod on your video monitor (view
the Specifications of each product for iPod playback compatibility)...

youthman - you must of brought the yamaha as in your system profile the onkyo is for sale. Congratulations and enjoy.

i'll be interested to know how the yamaha compares to the onkyo, please update once you have had a chance to compare.

• Moderators

youthman - you must of brought the yamaha as in your system profile the onkyo is for sale.

I wish that were the case. My wife and I had a talk last night after she got home and she wasn't thrilled with the idea of me wanting a new receiver when I already have one that works "just fine". She is correct, and it does no good to try and explain DTS-Master and HDMI to her. She would rather me buy a couch, or rear speakers...something I do not have and get the room functional before worrrying about upgrading my receiver. So I put my Onkyo on CL. :) I figure if I can sell it and my Onkyo amp, she won't have a problem since I no longer have a receiver and I can pick up the Yammie for no additional cash. If he sells it before I sell mine, then I wasn't meant to have it. It's all good.

• Moderators

it sucks when a great deal comes around and you don't have the cash to act on it!

I actually have the cash. I have $2000.00 saved up in the bank to use towards the theater room. She's just thinking it could be better used for furniture, rear speakers, projector, screen etc...stuff I do not already have.

totally understand mate - i did not realise it was a WAF thingy as in a previous post it sounded like she was cool with it. woman always seem to see the sense in things which makes my water boil [:D]

happy wife equals happy life, it's not like you dont have a fantastic set up already.

like you mentioned, leave it in fate hands and if it is meant to be it's meant to be.

well i hope it works our for you no matter which way it pans out.

• Moderators

i see her point of view, but if you went through the trouble of saving it, then spend it!

"and the two shall become one...". We share our dreams, our goals, our values and our money. It will all work out. There is no such thing as "the perfect deal". There are always deals to be had out there and it helps that I am a patient guy. I was pretty miffed last night, but I'm over it. LOL.

Compromise : In arguments, compromise is a concept of finding agreement through communication, through a mutual acceptance of terms—often involving variations from an original goal or desire (Reciever) lol. Extremism is often considered as antonym to compromise, which, depending on context, may be associated with concepts of balance, tolerance. In the negative connotation, compromise may be referred to as capitulation, referring to a "surrender" of objectives, principles, or materiale, in the process of negotiating an agreement. In human relationships "compromise" is often said to be an agreement that no party is happy with.......I love the last statement...lol

• Moderators

That's great Berserk!

My wife and I are going to visit a teacher friend that she works with. She and her husband have a theater room that he built. I believe he made his own screen so I'm hoping to get some ideas for my HT.

i see her point of view, but if you went through the trouble of saving it, then spend it!

"and the two shall become one...". We share our dreams, our goals, our values and our money. It will all work out. There is no such thing as "the perfect deal". There are always deals to be had out there and it helps that I am a patient guy. I was pretty miffed last night, but I'm over it. LOL.

Good for you.

• Moderators

Guess what? I received the following email this afternoon.

Hey Mike,
I'm trying to get everything out the door. If you'll buy today I'll do it for $400. I'm down to my last few items and I'm trying to wrap it up and get out the door :) Let me know.

I told my wife that it was too good of a deal to pass up and she was fine with it. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect. Wasn't sure if he was gonna mug me. It was almost too good to be true. Found out the guy was super young and apparently pretty wealthy. Lived in a 300,000 condo/townhouse, had all high end equipment, took immaculate care of his gear and was selling everything to move to England (at least I think that's what he said).

Bottom line is I bought the Yamaha RX-V1800 for $400. I noticed he had some blu-ray disks and two HDMI cables laying on the floor. He had already sold the Sony BD-500 player. He wanted $20 for Planet Earth, $10 each for the rest of his Blu-Ray disks and a "few bucks" for the HDMI cables. He asked if I needed another HDMI cable and I said sure. I had $38.00 in my pocket. He said that would be fine. Whoohoo! So all in all, I got the receiver, 3 Blu-Ray disks (Ocean's Thirteen, Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, and Planet Earth) and three 3ft Monoprice HDMI cables all for $438.00. He paid $1300.00 6 months ago for the receiver and paid $75.00 for Planet Earth DVD's plus probably $20 - $30 each for Pirates and Ocean's Thirteen and not sure what he paid for the three HDMI Cables. He paid close to $1500.00....I paid $438.00. Can you see the HUGE grin on my face? [:D] Where is the BIG BIG Smiley when I need one? When I got home, my wife knew how happy I was. As I walked in the door, she said, "See, aren't you glad I got mad at you the other night?". Yep! I love my wife. God is soooo good and I count myself extremely blessed!

BTW...he sold his harmony 890 to another guy for $100.00, and to another guy, he sold a 50 something inch Sony Bravia, his BD-500 Blu-Ray player and a BDI TV cabinet for $2500.00. He said the TV was $4000 new. He was basically giving stuff away.

Just wanted to share my excitement with those that can understand my excitement. I'm hoping to order the RS-52's and RB-61's on Monday, then I have to save up for some theater seats, a projector, screen, PS3 for Blu-ray and the Emotiva XPA-5 and I should be well on my way to my first HT.

yamaha.jpg