Hornification

Albatross

The TAD's look interesting ,but a tad too much for my pocketbook...I think I'm seeing them for $1200 a piece, am I right? That reminds me, I need to go get a lottery ticket. Despite it being overspendy for me right now, I like to know this info for my dream system...hey , you never know.

I hear ya. I am going on the slow path to my dream system. It is progressing. I'm going to save pennies for the Tads. Perhaps watch ebay and get lucky one day.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opening is 9" tall and 15" wide, measured to the outer edge of the flange and the front-to-back measurement is around 5".

So do you think it would fit into a LS top if the top cut out was modified?

The LS top section is 10" high inside, so a 510 horn would fit, but it's 15" wide, rather than the approx. 16" of the K400, so you have to do something about the extra width of the opening in the cabinet.

If you did install the 510/K-69 in a La Scala HF section, you'd have a cool "sleeper" JubScala that looked almost like a factory model. I thought about doing that, but found that I liked the added height of the tweeter on top of the cabinet. If you go ahead with making JubScalas, you can try both ways temporarily and see which sounds best to you.

Went up to Ptown and saw Little Feat last night, so I missed our Furum discussion part of yesterday. I'm suprised that some say La Scalas aren't great for Loud music since horns tend to be used as "Loud Speakers" in concert situations. Are the Cornscalas more of a Rock Speaker than Lascalas?(or should I say all around speaker that can also play loud?) I love all types of music, but once and a while wanna crank up the volume!!!

Went up to Ptown and saw Little Feat last night, so I missed our Furum discussion part of yesterday. I'm suprised that some say La Scalas aren't great for Loud music since horns tend to be used as "Loud Speakers" in concert situations. Are the Cornscalas more of a Rock Speaker than Lascalas?(or should I say all around speaker that can also play loud?) I love all types of music, but once and a while wanna crank up the volume!!!

I don't think I have ever pushed La Scalas over 110db but that is too bloody loud. They are great for loud music in my opinion. You should try to hear both if you can. Yes the Cornwalls have more bass and they do go lower but imo the folded bass horn has faster more acurate bass. This is my opinion and I'm a folded bass horn junky.

I agree with seti. I don't listen to loud music that often, but I've turned up my Scalas to deafening volume a few times and the other listeners were always impressed by the amazing clarity and lack of distortion when they were played really loud. However, I am using a good sub with them. It really helps for the bottom couple of octaves.

Albatross,

Depending on your level of patience, you'll find what you want. If the $600 Scalas you missed were the one's on Portland Craigslist, they looked QUITE rough. You missed fellow forum member m00n's Cornwalls (needed veneer) for $400, but there is a $200 pair of Heresy's up right now.

All my Klipsch has been through Craigslist, for reasonable prices, in reasonable condition.