FIrst a trickle, then the flood-Save your bucks!

Mallette

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&productId=8198552921665327724

1,000,000/1 contrast ratio! Blacker than the inside of a Pittsburg coal bin at midnight to bright as the rising sun, and eventually thin as paper. At 2500.00 for an 11X9 inch display a bit more than a days pay, but if I understand the technology correctly the price will drop very, very steeply as production increases. OLED's can be brighter than LED's and draw even less current, so someday this stuff will not only provide the long awaited full wall(s) projection, but even and infinitely variable room light as well.

It will be cool to have a room where all the walls, floors, and cielings are covered. What a place to watch "Star Wars XV!" And SURELY someone will figure out how to produce 3D without glasses with this stuff.

I'm holding a couple of years with the displays I have...

Dave

This does sound pretty cool. I still got plenty of years on this trusty ol' 55-inch Mitsu that I currently have. Will be interesting to see how this all pans out by the time I am ready to replace/upgrade my display. Would love to see that one display in the link in action, but friggan $2,500 for what is essentially an 11-inch display is pretty steep, even for me (can't even imagine what a 55-inch one would cost!).

My Sony KV34XBR960 CRT has finally met it's match! Up to this point, my XBR 34" CRT has only been bested by HD TVs costing many times more $$$. The Pioneer Elite Kuros HD TVs are quite good too. I'm waiting for these OLEDs though, as I've followed the R + D, and this technology holds the promise of beating the old CRT tube technology (which I have a preference for --- given the black levels / contrast ratio in the best CRTs). The inconvenience of having a 200+ lbs. CRT is done away with the OLED's ability to do black levels / contrast ratios unseen by plasma or LCD.

A 34 - 40" OLED would probably cost $20,000 in today's world but hopefully that price will go down as production ramps up.

I'm waiting for these OLEDs though, as I've followed the R + D, and this technology holds the promise of beating the old CRT tube technology (which I have a preference for --- given the black levels / contrast ratio in the best CRTs). The inconvenience of having a 200+ lbs. CRT is done away with the OLED's ability to do black levels / contrast ratios unseen by plasma or LCD.

Yeah, that is why I am still holding on to this Mitsubishi that I got. It was one of thier last CRT models (thier highest end at the time, the so-called "Diamond Series") before they phased them out in favor of DLP, which is what thier current Diamond Series TVs are, but the picture on this thing is just friggan incredible, even to this day! If this OLED technology does pan out and become more affordable, that may very well be my next purchase in another 5 years or so. Hopefully, they will be able to produce 55-inch and up for fairly reasonable (I don't think I could go smaller after being so used to this 55-inch display I had for the past several years now).