Direct TV w/dvr pixelating problem

Coytee

Scenario: I've got a new HD-dvr for my direct tv.

I've been having some pixelating issues. to the point where the screen will freeze for a moment and when it returns 'to speed' I'll have a ghost left over... or I'll have a band of pixels across middle of screen.

1. I've reset the receiver

2. I've swapped wire feeds to the receiver

The problem remained.

Today, I MOVED the receiver to another room and brought that receiver to where this one was. I was presuming the problem would either stay at location (meaning my TV is bad) or problem would move, suggesting I've got a hardware problem.

Ok, so the problem moved, implying that the receiver itself might have an issue my other receiver (HD but not dvr) does not exhibit this problem regardless of where its located.

Now I presume that I need to have my DVR replaced.

Here's my questions....

1. Is that reasonable logic that the problem has been narrowed down to the dvr unit

2. The more important question.... I've been taping some things and haven't viewed them. I don't really want to have a movie marathon so is there ANY way I can transfer/copy the movies on the DVR to a replacement unit, or even my PC??

1. Yes, that is a good troubleshoot, so yes the unit is suspect. I would call Direct and walk through their troubleshoot/fix? It may need a software patch. If their technical dept. cannot resolve, should agree about unit. A cause would be line-of-sight problems, slowing the process and/or the dish may need repeaked, even though other unit is OK. There I have turned a simple bad unit problem into a maze.

2. Read the handbook on the unit for options. Where there is a will......

Is this a HR-20?

What software, is it a national release or something else? (If something else we need to talk off line, it can not be discussed here)

Does it pixelate on all channels; local MPG4 and national MPG2. Just HD channels or all?

iYou have effectively eliminated a bad coax by moving receivers so it must be in the box.

Are you using an over the air antenna as well ON THIS DVR? If so does it pixelate?

Are you using component or HDMI and is the run going directly to TV or thru receiver. If HDMI try component to elimnate handshake problem.

Compare signal strength reading on same satellite same transponder in each location/each box.

Dish DVR's and suspect Direct, even TIVO are sensistive to the hardrive while installing or moving the unit while spinning. Care to be taken there, but a hardrive defective, past QC of course.

We have DISH not Direct. But my Dish DVR did the same thing on one receiver. Pixelation, it also ran slowly and got erratic. Would not record. It turned out to be a defective DVR and DISH sent us a replacement. Defective Hardrive in the DVR.