V you can cut a room resonance down to

size, but...

VI ...you can't fill up a "black hole"

null.

VII in a perfect world, they would not be

needed.

VIII the world ain't perfect!

IX we are all equal under the law.

X except some are more equal than others.

(right, bill? hill?)

These are the ten commandments of EQ

-Blind Melon

Thanks James, I can now justify my dbx 1231 and my very imperfect living room with hardwood floors and Party Pit couch. In a month the girlfriend plans on re-arranging the furniture. Thank God for SPL meters and my own taste.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogony

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original Monster Cable

dbx 1231... was that that real cool, real expensive eq they came out with that was all electronic - no sliders? Probably the neatest eq I've ever seen that wasn't in a recording studio!

I was a big dbx fan myself - had a 3BX also.

Of course this was when I was deep into my "black box" phase of audiophilia.

------------------

JDMcCall

Hey,

I did the 3BX thing too. When used in moderation I thought it did a decent job.

It's operation was audible but it never seemed to get in the way.

On the subject of EQ (and moderation), I may be forced into using one to reduce the peaks in my room brought about by a length which is almost double the width. Should have measured the room before I bought my house.

Believe me when I say that if I ever buy another one, IT WILL HAVE A DECENT SOUND ROOM! The tape measure will be used.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

James,

The one I think your thinking about was a 20/20 that was about $600 or so, this one is rather new (within the last couple of years anyway) The 1231, for what it's worth, does have sliders. 62 of them. And clipping indicators to boot.

Yes, the 3BX does a decent job but it is easy to let it get away from you. If you let it average right at the threshold it's about right.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Original Monster Cable

The perfect soundroom? We pondered the inside of a planetarium.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Original Monster Cable

Oh yeah, the 20/20. It's all coming back to me now! You know, I thought dbx was kaput. So, is your 1231 more of a "pro audio" component? Is that where dbx operates now?

Concerning the 3BX, I pretty much left mine at about 60% of maximum. This seemed to be unobtrusive on almost all music. But even then, say if you had a solo piano or flute passage with a fairly high amount of background noise, the 3BX would audibly modulate that noise. UGH!

My last house also had a family room with the length being almost exactly twice the width. And due to the layout, the listening position had to be right in the middle of the room, so...huge boom at about 50hz. Bad!

Had to move audio rig up to "formal" living room - great sound, but unhappy wife. But being the sweet, understanding person she is, she put up with it (and me).

The perfect soundroom; now that's what you call an oxymoron. smile.gif

Really, I think if you can just keep all the room dimensions as mathematically unrelated as possible, you've a got a good chance to achieve satisfactory results. Size, as in other matters, does count too!

Man, I just luvz muzik and odd-eeh-o!

------------------

JDMcCall

Colin,

As for good deals in EQs, I really love the digital parametrics Sony is building into their A/V preamps and some receivers. But for separate components, I like the Audio Control gear. Have you seen their multi-channel home theater equalizers? Real nice. I'm not really up on the pro sound stuff, but there is probably some good equipment for home use there, too

------------------

JDMcCall

dbx is still alive. They were bought by Harmon Kardon a few years back. Go to http://www.dbxpro.com to see all the new stuff. Yes, they are mainly into just pro-audio (live and studio). I tried to get parts from them but they seem to be all but disavowing anything that has to do with the dbx of old. I had to go to e-bay to find some rack ears for the 3bx; not too bad though, $28.00 for two sets of 1U's unused or mounted.

I just use the 3bx for more spirited listening. If any classical come on, that thing goes in "bypass" for sure. I usually left mine at 20% expansion and about 40% threshold. It really kills off soft signals, but then again, that's what it's supposed to do.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Original Monster Cable

No one has a "Golden Ratio" of deminsions for a sound room to achive acoustic excelence? I would like a room about 15'x18'

(W x D). Thats a ratio of 1:1.2 I'm not saying this is gold but it gives you plenty of width for a widescreen,towers,and a sub on the viewing wall and plenty of room behind you for surrounds. You want choices on where your surrounds sound best. When your couch is on the back wall theres not much of a choice. This is just my 2 cents smile.gif

DPonder,

There actually is an acoustic Golden Rule for room shape. Sorry but I cannot remember what it is. Perhaps someone will post them for you.

I want to believe it is 1:1.2:???

or something very similar. It is supposed to help avoid similar frequency modes.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

I just want a bigger room. The sound is much more natural in a larger room than a very small one(at high levels). I am currently in a room thats 11'x 13' and it seems a bit much,almost as if the sound is reflecting of the rear wall making it sound "boomy". But it still sounds great to me smile.gif

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

I am a vintage DBX component user, the old consumer group made some the best processors on the market prior to their demise in 1990. Although the 3BX Series II was not one of their better units it tends to break up and cause breathing when run at high threshold levels. The final version the 3BX-DS was much more refined and offered three separate bands of impact restoration, compression ability and an ambience circuit to widen or narrow the soundstage. They even made a 5BX-DS which was the 'coup de gras' offering five separate bands of expansion/compression, five bands of independently adjustable impact restoration, was remote controllable and visually stunning. As fas as Eq's go their 14/10 was the best ever produced and was far superior to the 20/20 or 10/20, offering 14 bands and constant Q topology, the ability to measure line voltage and SPL and Eq any room in 40 seconds or less generating it's own pink noise and using a calibrated mic. You can store 10 memory settings for different seating positions and the display is definately very impressive as it functions in real-time. The newer pro gear products are so-so their older units are still preferred by home and pro users alike especially the 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer. If you decide to pick up one of their processors go for the -DS "Digital Series" units you will not be disappointed. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------

If it's too loud, your too old :)

No I haven't tried putting a tapestry on the wall, sounds like a neat idea though. So you heard a sound difference in diffraction? do you have a small listening room too?

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

Our room is 15.5'wide and 26'deep.Half way back it opens into a dining room/kitchen.

We have curtins on a double door and a tapestry on the other.

Click on the litle house above and you will get an idea of what we did.

It keeps down and/or stops the sound from reflecting.

If your couch is up against your back wall it will also couse the bass to be boomy.

Try leaning or moving forward to see if the "boomy"goes away or lessens.