BOOKSHELF MODELS

fencer61

OK, I NEED SOME HELP HERE. WHILE THE LITTLE LADY OF THE HOUSE (she who must be pleased) is allowing the marantz 2330b to be installed in the study, she refuses to grant entry to the forte's. sooo, i'm gonna' need a couple of bookshelfs to round out the set-up. i'm thinking about a pair of KG2.5's or the SB2's. or any other suggestions i can get from you kind people.

In her defense, she has surrendered the necessary shelf space in the family room to the Pioneer sx1250/ RT707/KG9500/forte's. In the waning days of the primordial audio-beast, i count this as a reprieve, a gracious gift. (plus, when i really crank into it, i get the run of the entire room, whether she agrees or not!)

While advertised as "floor standing", the Heresy's actually work very well as a bookshelf speaker, particularly when in corner areas about 36-48" up. There's some arguments about the bass being attenuated, but.... those are arguments. I've had a bzillion H's and with one exception, they've always been used as "bookshelf" arrays with no problems that I could ever tell. I used to have JBL-4311's and 4312's which were studio monitors but for "bookshelf" level placement. back in '02-'03 when I went to replace some woofers, JBL informed me that there were no more parts... So having an original pair of Heresy's, and knowing what they could do, I sold all of my JBL's started getting Heresy's, etc., and never looked back.

PS... It's probably "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (SWMBO)...[;)] and don't forget to accessorize. You will also need a "Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) meter... commonly known as the WAF-O-Meter!![:P]

i've got my 77 vintage heresy's, but they serve a different purpose (keep me happy at my office) and they're too large for the bookcase in need to put these in. the max. shelf height is 12", so most options will require the speaker resting on it's side.

p.s. - she needn't be obeyed, just pleased; obeyance would be easier, 'cause it'd mean she had an idea what she wanted in the first place.

On the older model's RB3 and RB5, I think you can remove the horn and rotate it 90 degrees in the bezel if horizontal placement of the cabinet is a concen (they are rather tall for some shelves). You cannot do that with more modern RB35 and beyond because the horn is part of the bezel assembly. The horn is generally 90 x 60 degrees so you want the wide dispersion on the horizontal plane.

Here's my order of 'quality'

RB5 larger cabinet that RB3

RB3 Reference beats Synergy or older KG lineup.

KG and SB pretty much tie IMHO

i had a pair of 4311's in high school (late 70s) and loved them. brighter than the heresy, but not as 'sweet' when listening to classical. back then, that wasn't the genre of choice.

i was considering a pair of JBL L-830's, but everything i own is Klipsch (forte, chorus, heresy) WAF meter pegged when 1st wife saw the LaScala's, so out they went.

I owned Heresys and RB-5s at the same time...when I A/B'd them side by side I preferred the Heresys...I prefer Heritage...I felt something was missing from the mids on the RB-5s...that said...The RB-5s have much more bass than the Heresys, are about a third the size of Heresys and when listened to by themselves without being right next to the Heresy (like in the real world) they are very nice and full sounding speakers...good luck with your choice.

Bill

i had a pair of 4311's in high school (late 70s) and loved them. brighter than the heresy, but not as 'sweet' when listening to classical.

Some 4311s would still be a good choice. Deeper bass than Heresies but not as efficient. Never considered them brighter than Heresies. Although they handle high power, the mid (5" direct radiator) tends to break up if pushed hard. Always liked them for classical. I won't get rid of mine...

L46 or L56 would work well, too, and can be found cheap.

Bruce