Sound through ductwork

NOZ

Hi all,

Setting up a new home theater in the basement. I'm going to use 7 heresy's and it's pretty loud 2 floors up with the sound coming through the vents.

Any ideas on blocking the sound without restricting airflow through the ductwork?

Thanks

Sean

I spoke to HVAC guy about this when I set up my basement room. Avoid straight runs. Use corrugated insulated duct tubing where you can. I do not get a lot of traveling sound thorough my duct work. I think a big part was a double drywall with "green glue" in between the layers. All this could have resulted in a perfect room but I learned to late that a square room is the worst accoustic component you can imagine.

Hearing highs, mids and bass. Duct work is already done but can tweak it a bit.... adding the corrugated runs but it would be a lot. I have those magnetic vent covers that help, but it's a temporary fix as I want circulation all the time.

Sean: Long time no see, hope all is well! If you can modify the duct work to include a silencer box and also some 90 degree turns you would be surprised at how much attenuation you will get. One of the problems of ductwork is that it conducts vibration well. You need a flexible coupler to keep the rest of it from vibrating in sympathy.

Sean: Nice to see you posting again! Although, bliss55 gave you good suggestions, my good friend Michael (Hurd) nailed it, in my opinion. Let us know how you make out and what solutions were the most effective as many of use are dealing with the same issue. Thanks and best of luck! -Glenn

Much of the previous advice is "right on". And it does make a big difference if this is new construction verses remodeling which makes everything more difficult.

For what it's worth, I made some staggared baffle inserts out of 1/2" rigid insulation (Celotex) so th air could still flow freely around them but no straight path for the sound to project through. Also, I wrapped all the ducts with duct insullation made of foam with adhesive backing on one side and aluminum foil covering on the outside. I also used closed cell foam padding between the ducts and the building stucture.