Monster power amp?

psg

Hi all,

I wasn't really in the market for a power amp, but I'll admit that it was a plan for down the road to get the most out of my KHorns on very rare occasions, beyond my 50W h/k avr-325 receiver. But a friend is selling his barely used Monster MPA 2250S power amplifier for C$700. Seems like a good deal on a $2000+ power amp, althought I am not a fan of Monster Inc as a corporate entity, if you know what I mean. This is a 75 lbs amp, with two with independent power supplies and toroidal transformers. What do you guys think? It's local, so no shipping... and no taxes either. For comparison, something like the Emotiva XPA-2 which sells for US$799 would translate to C$1000 _before_ shipping and taxes... Of course, I wasn<t really shopping for one so should only buy it if it<s a good deal on a good product.

Thanks!

Don't know about anyone else but I am highly gunshy of purchasing an amp without hearing it first on my speakers. It could be a great amp but might have poor synergy with Klipsch speakers. Sounds like a good deal, but how will it sound on your Khorns?????

I am not overly familiar with Monster Power Amps but they seem well built. I've always found the preamp/prepro to have a more dramatic impact on overall sound than an amp does within limitations. IOW if you use a quality amp you should at least in theory expect to get good quality results. If the amp does not load the preamp well you could get synergy issues but for the most part the quality in = quality out mantra has worked well for me. Seems like a good price. You are not switching from SS to tube or something similar so I'd ask to demo it and if ya like it buy it. EDIT: Or....maybe take a pair of your H II's with you and give it a listen. If the Heresy's like it the K-Horn most likely will too.

PSG:

Lots and Lots of good deals on the market right now......I'd wait to see if a deal on a proven winner on Klipschorns comes available.....Classe, Belles, CJ, ....

I'd go for the highest quality over high power anyday....I'm not saying the Monster dosn't sound great??? But I'd take a 30 Watt pass labs over it any day..

True you are up in Canuck land But I make the drive from MIA to Toronto 3 times a year....if you ever find a good deal down here....I could shlep it along and meet you or just ship from YYZ to YQB.......just a thought......and don't ask me to bring speakers or my wife will kill me[;)]

PSG:

Lots and Lots of good deals on the market right now......I'd wait to see if a deal on a proven winner on Klipschorns comes available.....Classe, Belles, CJ, ....

I'd go for the highest quality over high power anyday....I'm not saying the Monster dosn't sound great??? But I'd take a 30 Watt pass labs over it any day..

True you are up in Canuck land But I make the drive from MIA to Toronto 3 times a year....if you ever find a good deal down here....I could shlep it along and meet you or just ship from YYZ to YQB.......just a thought......and don't ask me to bring speakers or my wife will kill me[;)]

Gee, wow, thanks for the kind offer!

I might give the amp a test drive if it isn't sold by the time I finish my basement enough to put the Klipschorns back where they belong. The plaster work is done and I started paint priming this evening. Then paint, then floor and ceiling, and the speakers can then go back in. I suppose I could put them back after the floor but before the ceiling...