Dolby True HD

iwillwalk

Do you not hear anything as far as audio? All Blu-Ray discs still will have an audio track that will play through any receiver even if the receiver doesn't support the newest formats.

Like was said, make sure your PS3 is outputting sound via PCM, not Bitstream.

thanks for the links.wow info overload

i have the hdmi running to the projector & optical running to the b&k

i get dd 5.1 with bitstream

w/pcm selected i only get the choice of true hd so it plays in pro logic2

whats the problem w/bitstream it gives me dd 5.1.......pcm pl2 ?

also anyone using the blu-ray remote?

That is exactly how it (the PS3) supposed to behave on optical (Toslink) connection...DD/DTS 5.1 surround or lossless LPCM 2 channel stereo.

About the remote, it's Bluetooth powered so you don't have to point it to the system to control it. It does lessen the pain of fiddling with the game controller when you try to play a DVD/BD, changing audio track, or enabling a closed caption, for instance. What else do you want to know about it?

• Moderators

In order to take advantage of the HD audio formats (Dolby True HD, DTS Master etc) you either need to use HDMI or analog outputs (5.1 or 7.1). Neither Toslink nor Digital Coax can handle the high bandwidth that is required for HD Audio formats.

That is exactly how it (the PS3) supposed to behave on optical (Toslink) connection...DD/DTS 5.1 surround or lossless LPCM 2 channel stereo.

CAN YOU explain that statement.the only way to have just dd 5.1. thts al i want & pcm just gives me pl2

About the remote, it's Bluetooth powered so you don't have to point it to the system to control it. It does lessen the pain of fiddling with the game controller when you try to play a DVD/BD, changing audio track, or enabling a closed caption, for instance. What else do you want to know about it?

I GOT THE REMOTE FROM BUY.COM but it does nothing & in the menu under remote settings it wants me to regester it.

ddo i have to do that to upgrade also?

When they say "regester" what they mean is that you need to "pair" the remote to the PS3. Bluetooth devices need to be paired to each other before they will work together. It is a fairly painless process, we did it about a month a go when we added the remote to our PS3. Just follow the directions included with the remote and all will be well.

Iwillwalk, it doesn't seem like you have an answer to your original question, so here it is. Without HDMI on your receiver, you will not get 5.1 on that particular movie. Sorry. You can either upgrade your receiver, or get a player with 5.1/7.1 analog output.

Many people think that All Blu-Rays have a standard DD track in them, it's part of the BR standard, but that is not correct. The PS3 can decode the TrueHD track, but the problem is, it will only send it out as PCM via the HDMI connection. With optical, you'll only get 2 channel.

Wanted has DTS-HD Master audio, not TrueHD. You are getting the same result with that? It was my understanding that those tracks had a dts core that would pass through via optical, but it might be different with the PS3, I've read that the PS3 can't handle DTS-HD Master audio?

It was my understanding that those tracks had a dts core that would pass through via optical, but it might be different with the PS3, I've read that the PS3 can't handle DTS-HD Master audio?

It MAY have a standard DTS track in it, but DTS-HD/MA does not mean the Blu-Ray will have a standard DTS track in it.. but it WILL have a standard DD track in it.

The PS3 can decode and send (only via LPCM on HDMI, of course) ALL the current HD codecs since the firmware upgrade from several months ago, so your statement is incorrect.

To the OP - you need to go into the movie's menu and do not select the True-HD or DTS-HD MA or any of the other audio formats.. jsut choose the standard english ones, and make sure your setup in the PS3 under Optical is set to pass the 5.1 dolby over TOSlink, as well as setting your toslink output to "bitstream" and not "PCM"

That should get you the sound you're looking for.