Price advice on Forte II speakers

carbon summit

I found a set of Forte II speakers that are kinda close to me (if you consider 380-400 miles close!!).

They are 1990's, oak oil, consecutive serial numbers with the original boxes from the orignial owner. He is asking $675 for the pair. I've been watching eBay and Craigs list for a while and this seems high. He says they are very nearly perfect. There are only a few small chips in the veneer at the very bottom edges.

I've searched on here and some of the posts are a few years old. I've got to factor in time and gas in to the mix which is not the sellers problem but effects the wallet all the same for me so I want to make sure I don't pay too much for the speakers in addtion to the cost of traveling to get them.

• Moderators

I guess it depends how much you want them ?

That is a little high, but if you consider how much they were new or how much you would have to spend for something new that sounds like that it's cheap. I would think $500 is a "good" price, but I wouldn't sell any of mine for that price, so being I would not sell mine they are worth more than the $675 a pair to me. Oak oil is my favorite.

If you plan on keeping them $175 more is not much in the long run.

That price is definitely high. I have seen them in decent shape for as low as $450. You will also be spending a bit picking them up, in gas and if you have to say overnight. I personally wouldn't pay more than about $550, especially if I was traveling to pick them up. You have to be the judge, but I would only pay that for ones in pristine shape and if no other ones have appeared anywhere within pick up distance.

Here is a pic of the only flaw the pair has. The price is now at $575. I agree with dtel about if I'm going to keep them for a while really whats the difference in the long run. But still I'd like to feel good that I'm paying a fair price. I'm not looking to steal them, I'd be happy to pay a fair price for them. I'm just not sure how much that damaged corner effects the price.

post-33518-13819427742936_thumb.gif

If THAT is the only thing wrong...than it's a good price. You can hide that chipped area with a little stain. I have only seen maybe 2 sets of PERFECT ForteIIs for re-sale and those sets went for more than that. Of course, I am a bit partial to these.....they are among the finest Klipsch ever made. [:D][Y]

Take care

Mike

If THAT is the only thing wrong...than it's a good price. You can hide that chipped area with a little stain. I have only seen maybe 2 sets of PERFECT ForteIIs for re-sale and those sets went for more than that. Of course, I am a bit partial to these.....they are among the finest Klipsch ever made. Big SmileYes

Take care

Mike

I noticed you originally had Chorus II's instead of Forte II, and you've got Chorus II in your signature so I just want to be sure we're on the same page. What is the price difference between Chorus and Forte? Between Forte I and II?

The bottom line is that guy will never get 675 for them. Period. Not in this economy. I have a pair of 100% mint condition - same veneer as the one in your pic. Not a scratch anywhere - been used as rear surrounds all their life, and have never been driven at all. I can't even get 500 for em.

Well I got them home safe and sound. They are in great shape. The picture I posted really exaggerates the chip in the veneer at the bottom. He must have zoomed in at just the right angle to show the damage which is a credit to his honesty but when I saw it in person I was surprised at how little it really was.You can't even see it when it sits on carpet. $500 purchase price, $60 in gas and my time and I now own a pair of Forte IIs.They came with the original boxes and the original receipt.

Its probably blasphemy to say but the difference between the Forte IIs and the KG 5.2s wasn't as big as I thought. Although I realize with front passive radiators of the 5.2s are not probably as sensitive to placement as the rear facing passives on the Forte IIs. I've probably got to spend some time playing with the placement of them and see how that helps.