Ebay question...about 'make best offer'

Coytee

My wife has a girlfriend who evidently has more money than sense. Example, she's now trying to sell three different PURSES on ebay for over $6,000 combined. [:o]

Mind you, this is not what she PAID for the purses, this is what she's knocking the price DOWN to and would like to recover. She paid more for them and in truth, hardly used them...one of them still has the tags attached and has never been used.

To be 100% truthful, the 6K number would represent her BIN price and she'd accept a lower amount which brings up my question...

I've seen some auctions with

1. No reserve... if it has a $1.00 when it's over, it's sold

2. No reserve, but a minimum starting bid

3. Reserve, with and without minimum starting bids

4. BIN with a "make best offer"

It's this last one that has me intrigued. We've put up her bags with a make your best offer choice and the high BIN price.

I'm curious (forgetting about other thoughts concerning ebay) what others thoughts might be on the "make an offer" logic contrasted with some of the more traditional methods of setting up an auction.

I find it kind of interesting since you can put your high BIN price there, people can still try to buy it and you can choose to accept it or not AND it's not too expensive to make the listing. Using a reserve can be more expensive it seems to me.

anyways... just wondering about other thoughts on this method, from either a buyer or seller viewpoint.

Almost all of the "Best offers" i've submitted bids on have been rejected. They generally want close to or more than there starting Price.

The one auction where they accepted my bid, was soon cancelled and they "all of a sudden" didn't have the product that was for sale..........

I believe in order to do a Best Offer setup it has to be a buy-it-now only listing and not a regular auction format, so there wouldn't be any reserve price involved.

You might be right howver, I think I saw a selection I as the seller could make...something like "accept offer above" (and insert a price) or "decline any offer below" (and insert a price)

Maybe that's a back door way for a reserve?

I also might not remember it correctly, been awhile.

You left one senerio out.

for example, if you setup an auction with a buy it now of 500 bucks, but do not set a reserve, and set the start bid to 1 dollar, when the first 1 dollar bid is placed, the buy it now option goes away. The only way of keeping the buy it now option is to also have a reserve. Once the reserve is reached, the buy it now option will drop.

It's good that you used the best offer approach, combined with the buy it now, it provides for the most flexibility in selling the item.

My wife has a girlfriend who evidently has more money than sense. Example, she's now trying to sell three different PURSES on ebay for over $6,000 combined. Surprise

Mind you, this is not what she PAID for the purses, this is what she's knocking the price DOWN to and would like to recover. She paid more for them and in truth, hardly used them...one of them still has the tags attached and has never been used.

I didn't even know that your wife knew my wife. Jeese what a system I could have for the price of a few purses.