why did it bite so hard??? Need some help deciding which one...

Pronex

Okay, so about 6 months ago I purchased a set of Quintet III. I figured they could hold me over for a while until we purchase our next house and I can set up my theater room the way I want it. They sound great, and I was very pleased with them. However, I have already been bitten very hard by that pesky upgrade bug. The itch is so bad, I can't wait much longer and am already looking into moving up. I am looking into buying either a set of F-2 or F-3. I am also going to get a couple of S-1 for the surround and C-2 for the center. My question is how much of a difference is there between F-2 and F-3. I don't know the exact measurements of the room they would go in other than I would say its average size, maybe 12 x 12 or so. As I said before, I already have plans brewing for future home expansion that will include a larger full theater room. So, is it better to just get the F-3 now or will the F-2 be able to fill an average size room and then something bigger in the future? Which do you prefer? Any other helpful tips or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

PS: I also have a question about the sub. I currently have a Sony 12" SAW3000. The sub is pretty good, but not great. When the bass hits, it really can rumble. But it sometimes seems like the sub can miss some of the lows or come in late. So I am also thinking about switching to a klipsch sub. If I get a Klipsch 10", will I notice a big difference from what I have now? Should I just go with a klipsch 12"? I'm asking because I heard the 10" at Best Buy and to me it sounded so much better than the Sony 12" I have right now. But I am not sure if it was just in the show room or not. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions in one.

If you're already looking to upgrade you should really do yourself a favor and get the F3 and C3 and at least the S1 if not the S2 or S3 as surrounds.

I would highly recommend the Sub-12. I guarantee you will be putting your Sony subs on the curb with a big 'FREE' sign on them afterwards.

• Moderators

I would highly recommend the Sub-12. I guarantee you will be putting your Sony subs on the curb with a big 'FREE' sign on them afterwards.

Welcome to the forums.

Sony makes great camcorders. They make great digital cameras. They also make a mighty fine PS3. Unfortunately you cannot be good at everything...enter Sony speakers. IMO, Sony has never made quality speakers, especially in the area of subs. I have heard several people say that the Sub 12 is a great sub. I have owned two Velodyne subs and love them. A good sub will make a world of a difference in the sound of your system.

From what I've heard, the diff in the F2 and 3 is bass. The 3 has 8" woofers. I almost bought the F3's, but decided to pinch a penny and go with the F2. I don't regret it at all. they sound awesome with both music and movies. The sub 12 is a great sub; especially at it's price point. If you have the money for the 3 series, by all means get them. But if you want to save a couple bucks and still have a killer HT, then get what I got.

Well, thanks for the responce guys. I went to the store today and listened to both the f-2 and f-3 and ended up with the f-3. I also got the sub 12, s1, and c2. I absolutely love them!!! The sub was beyond what I could have imagined. It completely put the sony to shame. I broke in the new setup with the Dark Knight. What an awsome way to try out the new speakers. Can't say enough good things about them. I'm very excited. Thanks again for the input!

Pronex, I know exactly what you mean about the bite. Im hooked too. Good choice on the 12" sub, that will be my next purchase. I also put my new set up to the test the other night with the release of the Dark knight. Its nice to stay at home and play it loud.

Thanks! These are my first big steps into the audio world. I'm enjoying them so much right now. The quintets were nice, but I knew after getting them home they could only hold me over so long. I just didn't think it would be that short! Oh well, they can be nice upgrades for my tv upstairs.

Thats funny. A while back my wife and I were so naive that we were content running a lowly set of Quintet ll's with a KSW-12 sub. I finally got bit so hard that I skipped the synergy lines along with the middle reference lines entirely, and went from the lowest klipsch line straight on up to the flagship reference series seven setup!!! Now how's that for a hard bite? :) We now live in Klipsch bliss, and we would never go back.....

Now as far as the Heritage line goes, I "hear" that is a completely different addiction- which is why my wife makes sure to keep me far, far away....

Haha! That's a pretty nasty upgrade bug you had there. Can't imagine how awesome that must have been when you first heard those compared to the quintet. And how did you get your wife to agree to that? Or was she just as into it as you? When I first started, I told my wife that the TV speakers just were not enough for me. She was perfectly fine with them. But I ended up buying a generic surround in a box setup. Then she started to understand what I was trying to do. She enjoyed those for a while, until I decided they just weren't enough. That's when we got the quintet. I told her that I really didn't need anything else for a long while, and that those could hold me over. She didn't want them at first, but then the started to enjoy those too. But when I said just after a few months, I have to upgrade again, she didn't understand why. Thankfully, she is a very patient person and she let me get the synergy series. It was funny though, when I first put in Dark Knight, she turned to me and said how awesome they were. I think she is starting to understand where it is I'm coming from now!

Come one that's not that bad.

I started with a kenwood HT in box type then I found Klipsch. My first set was the RF 3II and the SB 1 about 6 years ago.

To this date I have had 6 RF 3, 4 RC 3, 2 SB 1 , 2 SB 3, 3 RC 7,3 RF 7, 2 RC 64, 2 RF 83, 2 KSF S-5, 3 RS 3, 2 RS 52, 1 SC-5, 2 heresys,1 sw 15, 2 rsw 15, 1 rsw12, 1 KSW 10, 1 sub 12. I'm sure I probably forgot a few.The only reason I don't have more heritage serie is because the darn things are just to big and I'm running out of room.

My wife says I'm crazy, I call it audio education. How could I speak about a speaker if I never heard it.

I think there is only one person more crazy then I'm on this forum, everybody can guess who it is [;)]

Well as far as the sudden "jump" from one system to another "upgraditis," I though mine was pretty crazy. Now as far as multiple systems and extra equipment go, yes Falcon, I am not nearly as crazy as you! Luckily I am completely content with ONE nice system- well at least for now... I couldn't possibly use all those speakers, but don't feel bad, my wife would be calling me a complete psycho if I had all that extra equipment :) Hasta Luego

Pronex, my wife was probably a lot like yours. She enjoyed the Quintets and didn't understand why I went and spent so much money for what I told her was a "slight upgrade." I have to say she didn't like all the spending, but I rationalized saying I was selling the Quintets and KSW-12 (like that was really going to help pay for the new set of speakers :) But, after everything was setup for the first time with both RSW-15's she looked at me in disbelief which turned into a huge smile. She said, "well maybe its not that bad, we will never have to pay for movie tickets ever again." She is very patient with me, and very supportive, lucky me :)