can the ICON series get some luv???

jwatson364

i dont hear anything about the icon series...since im new to the klipsch realm, i went with the new series which i got a 100 discount on each of my fronts...but my complaint is im not hearing much opinions about the icon series....im starting to panic a little, im thinking about returning my icons and waiting for the reference speakers to go on sale....hopefully someone with the know-how can tell me if they are worth holding onto or not...

any other ICON series peeps out there???

i dont hear anything about the icon series...since im new to the klipsch realm, i went with the new series which i got a 100 discount on each of my fronts...but my complaint is im not hearing much opinions about the icon series....im starting to panic a little, im thinking about returning my icons and waiting for the reference speakers to go on sale....hopefully someone with the know-how can tell me if they are worth holding onto or not...

any other ICON series peeps out there???

They are pretty new speaker system and not a lot of places to demo or buy them yet so most folks have not heard them and thus do not have them. Here is the important question. What do your ears tell you? It matters not what we think about them as you are the listener who has to be satisfied. What folks here say is moot if it does not suit your individual taste or needs. A lot of folks here say you need a sub with La Scala's. I have had them for the past 24 years and still do not "need" a sub. My ears tell my I'd probably benefit from one but I don't "need" one. Thus no sub yet, my ears like them. So what do your ears tell you about the ICON stuff. If you like them keep them! If you do not like me then return them.

Are you talking about the metal ICON towers with internal bi-amps? If so, I had a pair here at the House of Klipsch for quite some time on a field test. They sounded remarkable to me, but did have an upper db limit that was such that I would not use them for HT setups. But for stereo or as self-powered system plugged right into flat panel TV(their main intended use), they were stylish and pretty flat frequency response. I recall mentioning at the time that they sounded somewhat forte-ish to me, that is, with a pronounced low bass bump and crystalline highs.

A lot of us have never heard them. I personally don't know anyone who owns a pair; except you! But this isn't saying anything bad about them. We can't speak on or talk about something that we know nothing about....... I wouln't go returning them like you mentinoed. If you like them and the sound they produce, then why get rid of them??? [*-)]

I've heard them -- I think they sound great. After I heard them in Indy I began rethinking the need for the bigger horns. They don't have the dynamic impact of Reference and Heritage, but there is a welcome smoothness and warmth in exchange. Still moderately dynamic, and with some power behind them I bet they slam pretty good.

thanks for the advice guys, according to my ears they hit as badass as any other speakers i ever heard.... i cant believe speakers could get any louder and keep the same ultra-clarity these have....with my denon 1508 i blasted these as close to deafening as possible and they still sounded super clear and produced great sounds....i think these are pretty badass speakers and for 299 each (on sale from 399) i got a great deal and highly recommend them to anyone.... its the other speakers in the series im having doubts about such as the center...

its the other speakers in the series im having doubts about such as the center...

Why? What concerns/complaints do you have. You should have a center timbre matched to your mains if you stay within the same line. Timbre is important all the way around but it is uber important across the front of your array. Mismatch the front array and the odd speaker will announce itself every time it comes into play. For a center channel speaker that is most of the time in an HT rig.

I have a pair of the XB-10 bookshelves that I got from another member here. They do pretty good, but definately need some low-end support via a subwoofer.

These: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/xb-10.aspx

I had one on top of my main left RF-3II with a nice fleece blanket in between and took the speaker wire off the tower and compared it to the right side. While I did not A/B directly, with one on top of the other, perfectly level matched, they were similar in voicing, with the XB seemingly going a tad higher in frequency. ( I didn't run sweeps through them )

post-9504-13819435494992_thumb.jpg

[{] for the Icons

You seem to be suffering from a form of upgradeitis, which I will call "second-guessing-yourself-before-you-own-it syndrome".

Go and get the rest of the set up for what you already have. You will enjoy it.

I have heard the V-series Icons. The VF-36 towers are excellent. As detailed and as powerful as the F3s and even a bit smoother over all.

I have listened to all the V seris several times each. I'll give my impressions, however I admit it was on a Best Buy sales floor so not in the most ideal environment, nor am I any kind of a expert at reviews or anything. This is just what my ears could tell. I was also able to compare them next to the synergy line as Best Buy had them on the same shelf/reciever as the Icons.

VB-15 = bookshelf with 5.25" woofer. To me its not too bad a speaker, but did seem the woofer had a hard time keeping up with the horn. I didn't like it at all with the music I was playing through it. Just sounded smallish to me. Absolutely needs a sub. Compared to the Senergy series bookselfs next to it ( B2 and B3 ) it seemed to have more volumn than either did on the high frequencies. Both the Synergy series had a better match between the horns and mids, but neither seemed to jump out at me like this one did. I prefer the looks of the V series over the synergies. I came off feeling they needed better low end response. Maybe a 6.5" mid version would be better. I'm kinda indifferent towards these.

VC-25 = center channel with dual 5.25" woofers. Sounded exactly like the VB-15, only that the mids were able to keep up with the horn a bit better ( probably because there are two of them versus just 1 in the vb-15 [8-)] ). If I were doing a small bookshelf style setup for music listening, I would choose 2 of these over the VB-15's. May actually make a decent l/c/r pair for a small home theater setup as well. Definatly needs a sub. It destroyed the synergy line C2 that was sitting next to it, but it is a bit larger. I liked this center ok.

VS-14 = suround with 1 4" mid and 2 horns. It was hard to really judge these while on a shelf wired up as a stereo speaker pair. So I wont really say anything else about them as far as sound is concerned. They look good.

VF-35 = towers with 3 5.25" woofers. Had a nice balanced sound to it. At the volumns I was able to get it too until people started looking at me awkwardly it seemed to be a good speaker. Needs a sub to help with low end as it seemed to roll off fairly quick. Had a tight response that I liked. When I played this in conjuction with the VC-25 they were a good match. I was pleased with them. Sounded better to me than the synergy F2, but lacked the low end of the F3.

VF-36 = towers with 3 6.5 inch woofers. These sounded great. I really liked them. Still need a sub for some of the low end, but I would say that these were clean down to around 50-60hz. I liked the quick attack of the thre 6.5's. They do seem to have a different sound than the rest of the Icon V lineup, but I couldn't wrap my mind around "how" they sounded different. I didn't think they were a good match with the VC-25. I think a dual 6.5" center would be a better match for these. Its hard to explain.

By my listening, if I were to do a Home Theater setup using this line of speakers, there are only 2 setups I would go with. The VC25 center along with the VF35 towers, or do 3 VC25 centers in a left/center/right setup ( and indeed my dad may go this route to replace his aging synergy sb-2, sc1, ss1 setup ).