Anyone take there Synergy or Reference series front speakers apart?

Jack Gvozdjak

I'm interested in swapping out the tweeter and the crossover in my F3 with one from the referene series...curious how it would sound.... Anyone take their speakers apart? Since it's Klipsch I would assume the speakers are serviceable...? I would get a pair a reference series but the GF would kill me if she saw new speakers, so I guess I'm just curious to hear the difference a tweak around a bit...

i would assume if all the parts would fit, it still wouldn't sound the same. i think the size of the cabinet makes a big difference. you can call klipsch tech and they will let you know. my advice, is, don't do it. if you want your synergy speakers to sound different upgrade the crossover. i did mine synergy and it was like i bought brand new upgraded big boy speakers! didn't even come close to sounding the same. i miss them too.....and i have rf-7's if that says anything.

no i swapped out the capisators in the crossover. you don't actually want to buy a whole different series crossover, it won't work like you think. DeanG does crossover upgrades if you just want to send it to him. i don't want to take business away from him. thats his area and i don't want to step on any toes....if you know what i mean.

i am not trying to simplfy it, but you would have to call klipsch tech support and ask for the crossover diagram from them. they will send it to by e mail. then you purchase what ever capisators you need to do the tweeter side of the diagram. you could even do the resistors too. just make sure you buy the right kinds and the right values. if you don't want to mess it up or think you will, contact DeanG and see if he will help you out.

"DeanG does crossover upgrades if you just want to send it to him. i don't want to take business away from him. thats his area and i don't want to step on any toes...if you know what i mean."

No one here has to worry about that, I have no desire to be holed up in my workroom every night doing this stuff. A little bit of work is theraputic, a lot of work is time consuming and stressful -- I work a long day job just like everyone else. I'm all for DIY -- just make sure you can DIY.

Edit: rant deleted. :)

What can one expect as far as sound difference when upgrading the components on the F3 fronts? Is it adviseable to do the same for the center and rear? Anyone have this performed or and forum links for more information? I'm interested in having this service performed but want to know what the difference would be like before making changes.

Thanks!

If you presently like the sound from your F 3's...............just leave things as they are...............save up for new Reference and then sell the F 3 to gain extra pocket change..............

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...............

Just Enjoy the Music !

If you presently like the sound from your F 3's...............just leave things as they are...............save up for new Reference and then sell the F 3 to gain extra pocket change..............

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...............

Just Enjoy the Music !

I pretty much agree unless he plans on living with the speakers a long time -- just because something isn't broke doesn't mean it can't be better.

They seem a bit to harsh...I have my receiver reducing the higher frequencies and it sounds ok. Also seems like vocals are to much in the higher range and missing some lower end...will the replacement help with this at all?

My car has Infinity Perfect Kappa 6.5 fronts with a 10" Infinity Perfect sub and I think it sounds so much better when it comes to vocals and while they are a little bright they are not harsh at all like the F3's. I'm almost tempted to purchase some more and install them into a home speaker tower. Just not sure how well that would work lol They are definitely "Perfect" to me though and they are installed in a car!

I also have klipsch Promedia 5.1 ultra, which sad to say, I think sounds better with music then the F3's and C3...

I guess the F3's sound fine if not great for movies but I don't think they handle music and vocals as well as I would like.

I think they might have been designed to stand out from other speakers which in a way takes away from the certain details that can be easily overlooked...sigh...I think I purchased to quick lol

Lastly the bass on the F3's are ok, just not as punchy and deep as I would have thought, but that's ok because the Sub-12 picks up the slack.

DeanG, i didn't make you mad did i?

the difference i experienced was this....

watch any movie with a pillow taped over your front speakers......then watch that movie again with the pillow removed. it's that simple. it competley changed my speakers. they were much louder, clealer, and simply sounded amazing.

if you know how to solder, and can buy the exact same capisator values, it's really not that hard. now doing the crossovers in the older Heritage line, that seems very time consuming.

Does your receiver have an eq of any kind? My F2's were the same way with the vocals and sounding harsh, etc. I sat down with many different sources/artists/songs, and adjusted the eq, over and over again. It took about 2 hrs to get it just right, but now they sound amazing! So I recommend doing this if your receiver allows it.[;)]

Here's a link the Infinity Pefect Speakers that I love.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=KAPPA%20PERFECT6.1&cat=KAP&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Looks like the crossover is at 3.5kHz instead of the F3 2kHz. Would be interesting to try to bump up the range to 3.5 kHz to see if the vocals even out more?