LaScalas bottom plans

redd

I was looking for a set of LaScalas cab. to cut down

But all i realy need is a good set of plans and i have a older Shop Smith and a good rule

is there any one with a clear set of laScalas ill build my own bottoms

ill stack them that should give me a little more bass

if you want more bass, best bet would be to look at something like a kp-480 which was designed for the lascala.

the lascala cab is not a deep bass solution, you will wind up with more of the same, just louder.

louder is cool and for the cost of 2 sheets of 3/4 ply and a pair of k33****

I tough i wanted 43's but i think you said 33's were a better choise ****

with 2 pr. of 33's got to be a little more bass ???

you told me before that i can wire the new woofer into the AL 's that i have

" I tough i wanted 43's but i think you said 33's were a better choise ****"

Actually it was the reverse for what you said, at the time, that you wanted to do.....in a LaScala cab, if you want loud volumes....the K-43 is the way to go.

" you told me before that i can wire the new woofer into the AL 's that i have "

one woofer either the K-43 or k-33 on any of the Heritage crossovers. two woofers, with out some type of compensation, will screw up your impedeances and crossover points will be effected.

Something like the Kp-480 has a built in 2 way crossover to keep the impedeances matched.

if you want more bass, best bet would be to look at something like a kp-480 which was designed for the lascala.

the lascala cab is not a deep bass solution, you will wind up with more of the same, just louder.

Good advice. The KP-480s would add almost an octave to the bottom of a La Scala. It would be easier to build, or to build something like it. Crossed at 100 Hz, or higher, it will roughly double the power absorbtion capacity of the La Scala's woofer, what ever woofer you have. That's better performance than you'll get from the 2 short bass horns. They are about the same size, so stacking them works nicely.

I bought a pair for my church for special occassions. Paired with HIPs and crossed at 120 Hz, they sound superb and complement each other very well.

If you can't buy any, talk to Bob Crites and see if he can help you locate similar drivers through his "sources".

...and is just as easy to build

I would say it's easier to build. I'm just waiting for the cost of wood to drop a little so I can build a pair.

Marvel, I don't know if you're interested or not, but I have three pages that I can email to you that I got from Gil Gillum, the original designer of the MWM, that shows how the speaker can be mounted vertically with the mouth facing down. There are details of side pieces that need to be built to direct the sound out horizontally, what he called the WMX - W Mouth Extension. The model is MWM W.5 WMX as best I can figure. Interesting stuff.

Greg

For use at home?!? SurpriseYes

Oh yeah... but my room is really too small. Things like that haven't stopped me before, though. The LR is only 13 x 20 or so. I'm planning on the MWM-S. I want to be able to get them through the doorway. [:D]

Greg,

Do you mean they would actually face the floor? Interesting thought. I was thinking of trying them up on one end... tall and skinny. I have the article by Michael Frye, who took some Altec 210 horns and split them. They stand up that way. Attached is a pic of some nicely finished ones. The MWMs would be easier to build, for sure. Since the MWMs are a trapezoid I would have to make a stand for them. However, they would first go flat on the floor to give them a first listen.

Bruce

post-7149-13819435610064_thumb.jpg

Cool! So it fires toward the floor, which would be a little problematic in my living room. I can't have them straight across the end of the room, it wouldn't be quite wide enough.

I can see the use in a theatre, though, with not much space behind a curtain.

Thanks Greg... I will certainly file this with my other MWM info.

Bruce