Klipsch Workout or How to Beat That Middle Age Spread...

SilverSport

Michael, did you know that your Father is one of the most knowledgable and respected guys in the whole world when it comes to Klipsch speakers? He did the research and wrote a big paper about the history of them and how to fix them. Pretty cool, eh?

Yes I need to get down there, you guys are probably in the pool and it's 1 degree here. Have you ever felt 1 degree? It hurts a lot when the wind hits your face, like being slapped by ice cubes!

Michael

Klipsch Christmas Emergency Workout Challenge....

I had every intention of just relaxing today, do some tunes, play around on the Forum, go swimming (temps are in the low 80's today...), but noooo.... my "number" came up..... so to speak....

Twas' about 10:30 this morning. Nice cup of coffee from my new coffee pot, Beethoven's Symphony #9 (Chorale) running on the Klipschorns (165 pounds each) via one of the Sansui AU-11000's (about 50 pounds each). Sounds nice, so I decided to get decadent and run the Belles (about 125 pounds each) for some center channel action, via the Sansui AU-111 tube amp (about 65 pounds... has little wheels on it at the back...).

The weight on this stuff is the key to a successful workout....

Well,.... sounding great, etc. and all of a sudden.... ssssszzzzZZZZ POP!!!! and Klipshorns go dead. Scramble time!!! Immediately lock volume on the amp to "0", turn it off, and turn other amp off.....

Disonnect speakers..... Turn it on and red standby indicator is lit. Turn it off, disconnect everything, pull it out and check internal fuses... Blown... Replace. No joy. Red indicator only. Whatever it was is fried....

So... I'm desperate for tunes in the man cave. Can't live in silence.... Not right... not natural....

Need to swap amps, check speakers, etc....

Moved the rack system out from the wall (about 500 pounds, but on little wheels). Disconnect everything in the "chain". I head out to the workshop and carried the spare in from storage. Called tech guy (fortunately he's a friend of mine); he's sure that it's only something in the output section; says get it up there, so carried the bad one out to vehicle. Get to the vehicle and the doors are locked.... You get the picture...

Breakin' a sweat now.

Lifted the spare amp into place. Then decided that now was a good time to move the amps around and get the tube amp down from the top shelf. Seemed easy until the little wheels cleared the shelf..... Felt like holding a refrigerator at neck height... Survived that. Needed to put the tube amp back on the Belles and wanted it down lower so I could read the temp gauge for more temperature monitoring on the tubes with the chassis fan anyways....

Then move the other two AU-11000's around to match the non-"A" version with the K-horns and "A" version to the Forte's in the corners. There's a subtle difference between the two and one sounds better with K'horns & Belles, and the other with Forte's & Heresy's.

Next... pull, check and reconnect all interconnects from all sources and to the amps (gotta' make sure that we did not have an issue there that popped that amp). That part of the workout involves being a contortionist.... and the ability to sort spaghetti.....

Next.... pull, check and reconnect all speaker cables to the main terminal jack plate (the jack plate is hard wired from that point to the floor area where the speakers actually are located). Again, acrobatics involved connecting them back to the amps through the rack access holes, etc.

Got a good sweat goin' now.

Next.... pull the Klipschorns and check the fuses... Fuses did their job and were blown. Replaced the 2.5 amp fast blow fuses (I don't use that much power, so a 2-3 amp fuse is fine). Pushed them back, lifted up the tops to re-align them in the corners. "Klipsch Kurls".....

Next.... power Klipschorn amp up.... Merry Christmas!!! Fuses did their job!!! Test the tuner, then the CD's, etc.

Next... power up the tube amp.... No left channel..... Re-seat the interconnects, the speaker cables to the jack plate. Still no joy.....

Now I'm sweating... figuratively and literally....

Pulled the Belles out and Voila!!!! Left lead negative wire had pulled out of it's banana jack. Off to the workshop, new jack, re-crimped.... Perfect....

I'm pumped up now!!! Yessiree!!! bulging biceps.... etc.!!! This stuff's heavy!!!

Put everything away, cleaned up, changed, and......

Put on "Ode to Joy".....

Merry Christmas!!!

And for tomorrow's workout..... Carrying two Chorus-II's to Richard's vehicle... Break out the gloves for that one!!!

Now.... that I have room in the man cave..... Better get out to the workshop and finish those Cornwalls!!! Those suckers, however, will not have the drivers installed until I get the cabs back inside!!! Learned that lesson once before!!! talked like a soprano for 3 days!!!

Doing a "Klipsch Workout" is a good thing every couple months though. Break out the gloves, oil and rags, brush, etc. Pull your Klipsch out, down, etc. Clean them, wipe the finish down and check terminal connections, etc.

Sunny and dry in Indy today! Here's my workout sir!

LSI x 4

KP682 subs

MCM stacks

4 ea K33, K43, K47 spares

lighting trusses, stands, cases

numerous cable cases

big racks x 4

KSM2 x 3

KP250 x 2

parts department of cables, horns, drivers

need help on the KP600 system

ok, out to do some more, Colts game is probably a sleeper today. Chili's slow cooking on the stove.

wooooweeee, sweating profusely! [:o]

I didn't want to disgrace the uniform by asking for help. KP600 system has been moved sir! [H]

If you recall, the two main systems add up to over a TON of Klipsch speakers. I was probably good for close to 3000 pounds today.

May I have a rest break, SIR? [|-)]

The workshop has been named. See my Shop thread for details.

Hit the floor FB! Where's YOUR workout today?

Can you imagine the sight of a half-inebriated Marshall, with a military grip on a Cornwall cabinet, teeth clenched on the wooden bit of a 5-pack convenient store brand cigar, muttering and cursing as they both tumble in slow motion off the edge of Mama's elevated queen sized boudoir and onto the floor?

That would definitely make U-tube

I never grab a beer when I'm working on or moving the stuff!!!! LOLOL!!! Sam Adams Time is reserved for when the work is done and I don't have to worry about very heavy things falling on me.... Exceptions? When I'm sanding & filling, and sweating in the Florida sun... maybe a brewski on the bench... LOL!!

That Cornwall that fell off the bed smacked me hard as I tried to catch it. Almost no damage as it hit the floor almost perfectly horizontal. That's when I decided that when moving Cornwalls... put them flat on the floor and tell them to "sit"...