New Speaker suggestions

Talon

It's my father's 50th birthday coming up and we want to get him something really nice. Recently, his old pair of speakers both physically fell apart on him (dont ask me what brand, there's no logo and he has no clue). The cones just started falling off their surrounds...it was a mess. As of now, he only has 2 Floor-standing speakers. They housed, I believe, 3 2.5" midranges, 2 tweeters, and a 15" woofer. These speakers were like 15-20 yrs old, and they sounded great while they lasted. My question is though, what Klipsch speakers do you think will really nice with just the 2? They need to be able to take care of the lows, mids, and highs without relying on surround. Any suggestions? They don't have to be Klipsch...and the price should be around $600-1000. Thanks for your help.

Must they be new, or are you open to shopping for used? You can find some Forte's or Chorus's used which will sound incredible, and easily in that price range. You won't be able to touch anything new that sounds as good as those used in that price range.

If you want new, check out the Reference series on the web site. They have the MSRP listed there. You could get RB-5s (which are almost studio reference quality), and augment with a subwoofer for the deep bass, or RF-3s.

And, to be honest, I don't think you're going to get anything but Klipsch recommendations on this board for your Dad's gift, but that's a good thing!

Doug

------------------

My System

I'm with Doug. Well, not physically. I'm in CA, he's in AZ, which are touching, but I want to say right now, I've never touched Doug with anything other than my words, and he me with his.

As a Dad m'self, I commend you on your research skills that led you this forum. The most helpful people on the web are right here. You will get more bang for the buck used, and there are many posters that will offer opinions on specific speakers you may find, say, on eBay.

Does your Dad like to mess around with things like audio, or is he more of a "set it and forget it" kind of guy? Part of the fun of vintage speakers is finding out about their history, and talking (here) with others who have them (not that the current line-up doesn't get a lot of air time on the boards).

Good luck, and keep us informed!

fini

Well, I own both Klipsch ProMedia 4.1s/5.1s so I am pretty familiar with Klipsch products. However, I've never been introduced to the HT lines. I usually frequent the 4.1/5.1 sections of the forum so I've been around. Anyhow, He's more of a set it and forget it kinda person...how unfortunate for me cause I'm the one spending all my money to upgrade the many stereos around the house. Smile.gif Anyhow, about those used speaks doug was talking about; any idea on where to find used pairs of speakers that are in good condition? I was looking on ebay and saw a few Heresy I's. They any good? I'd be willing to get him a sub but I don't think his reciever is new enough that it comes with a sub output, so I'd prolly have to get that too...Or at least break the news to him after I got em - heh. Also, he might be interested in the (distant) future to upgrade to 5.1/6.1 sound...He has become more interested in audio since I upgraded my car, my room, my dorm, and his car stereo last Xmas. So who knows what the future holds. I'm guessin I would be better off with References? Do any of the Klipsch Floorstanding speakers come with horn tweeters, mids and side-firing subs all-in-one? Thanks guys.

Talon,

Your dad is my age. I just bought RB5's and hooked it up with my Klipsh SW10 subwoofer. The RB'5s and the sub put out a great sound. I dabble in HT as well as music. For us old farts out there this is a good setup.

Also, he would appreciate just about anything you get for him, because you are giving him a very nice gift and thinking of him on his birthday. You are a good son.

If you stay away from powered towers you avoid nasty cabinet resonance.

I realy like my RB5s, they are not a Heritage speaker but they have solid Klipsch attributes.

I crossover the RB5s to a 12 inch sub at about 60 HZ.

Just gave my ma an entry level component audio system; some peple just do not wnat the hassle of picking it out themselves.

Have fun with the quest...

Talon - Probably be best to go with Reference like Audio Flynn has done. The older stuff is great, but you kinda got to be a fan of big, heavy speaker cabinets which he may not be (not to mention others in the house). The RB-5s are beautiful, with their wood veneer, and small enough not to offend.

You don't need a sub output on the receiver to use a sub -- you just hook up the speaker outputs to it, then hook the speakers to the sub and the sub crossover will filter the low bass before it passes it on to the speakers.

Doug

------------------

My System

Tough to buy for one's father.

Also, you've not told us about his personal interest.

A simple choice is the Reference series. You can't go far wrong.

If you buy him a pair, he might well want to get into home theater. Then at Christmas you can build up a system for him with a center and an HT amp.

Gil

I like that approach, Gill. Since my parents were unaware of what was happening in HT and music, I broke the whole system up into a series of stages... and as each excuse for a holiday came by, implemented another stage. It was great fun for them and for me... and it lasted a long, long time.

It became not only a gift... but a continuum of caring that seemed to be more meaningful to them. I mean, when you aren't Irish and get a progressive scan DVD player on St. Patrick's Day... somebody is trying to tell you something.

Talon, it doesn't matter so much the vintage or the expense... just roll out the caring every chance you get... cwm12.gif ...oh, yeah, it takes a little more explaining with most wives cwm23.gif HornEd

"If you stay away from powered towers you avoid nasty cabinet resonance"

Flynn,I would very much like to know which powered towers you owned in which you experienced cabinet resonance.Not being very smart,I would imagine that most any speaker could possibly suffer from this horrid cabinet resonance.I anxiously await your answer.

Keith

As far as powered towers go, I just got a pair of rp-3's and I'm really happy with their sound. They really have more low punch than my klf-30's do, but won't play nearly as loud. If you are looking for a speaker that will play loud w/o very much power, I don't think that the klf series can be beat, but I'd guess that isn't what you dad would be looking for. The rp-3's are one of the better sounding speakers that I've heard at low volumes though because of the powered sub built in. I got them from UBid for $750 (shipping included), which they are surely worth. To run these towers well, they do need to be hooked up to a LFE or a sub output on a receiver (at least from what I've found). This would leave you in the same boat as you were when thinking about a good set of towers w/ a separate sub, looking for a new receiver. I don't think that you'd go wrong w/ any Klipsch speaker, at least not any that I've ever heard.

------------------

klf-30 front

klf-c7 center

rp-3 rear

lf-10 sub

Denon avr-3300

Denon DVD-2500

Denon DCM-270 cd

Mitsubishi 55" ws tv

Talon, I'm also in the same age range as your Dad. A couple of months ago I bought the RB5s & I love them. Beautiful sound, crisp, clear, great detail. I also have the RC3(center) & RS3s(surrounds) with a KSW12 sub. Get him the RB5s and he can always add on other speakers later if he gets into HT. A sub would go real good with the RB5s but it's surprising how good the bass is on them even without a sub. Good luck & Happy Birthday to your Dad - welcome to the 50 club.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

Thanks guys, all of this stuff is greatly appreciated. I think I'm gonna go with the RB-5 II's w/ a cherry finish. He has decent stands in the basement so I'll use them...About him liking those bulky speakers...for some reason, he likes those...The ones we have now are almost as wide as the 27" TV in the living room...he figures wider is better...i guess... But anyhow, I look foward to upgrading these speakers. I think if I get these speaks I can get my sister to get him a 12" sub...I'm guessing you all dont like the idea of mixing and matching brand-names. huh? Some guy at 6th Avenue Elec. was goin off on how he loved this Definitiv Speakers sub. We'll see though, we'll see...