Movie night with the family

Youthman

• Moderators

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Last week, I finally hooked up my recently purchased RB-35's and placed them on barstools as a temporary setup. It has been 3 years since I have had rear speakers hooked up in my system so I thought it was about time to change that.

One of the gifts we gave our son for Christmas was Kung Fu Panda on Blu-ray. Tonight, our family climbed into the theater chairs, dimmed the newly installed lights and hit play. I remember seeing it in the theaters and really was impressed with the sound quality as well as the overall movie. Very well put together. I can say for sure that we enjoyed the sound even better in our HT tonight than we did in the theater. During one of the quiet moments, my 5 year old leans over and says, "Daddy, what's that sound?" "Is that coming from outside or the speakers?". Oh yes, the simple pleasures in life. She was hearing the crickets churping from the movie and she believed what she was hearing was real. Dolby TrueHD was excellently mastered in this movie.

HT - Lots of dollars....
Leather Theater Chairs...$750.00
Kung Fu Panda on Bluray - $15.00
Having your kids think the theater room is the coolest...PRICELESS!

The only thing that was less than to be desired was watching it on my son's 17" LCD Monitor. LOL. Good news is I have ordered a 103" Cinescope Screen that should be coming in any day. In Feb, I will order the Panasonic AE3000u with our income tax refund.

Just wanted to share the fun we had with it. Now I'm off to play a little Guitar Hero. A guy called me tonight and was willing to trade Hulk and Speed Racer for his Guitar Hero game and guitar. [:D]

• Moderators

To tell the truth, except for concert DVD's when we watch a movie 75% of the time it's something for the Grandkids, the last two we watched were A Bugs Life and Robots. They had seen them before but were happy to see them again, I can't complain, most of the kids movies are very well made.

Wait till they see that giant screen ! [:|]

To tell the truth, except for concert DVD's when we watch a movie 75% of the time it's something for the Grandkids, the last two we watched were A Bugs Life and Robots. They had seen them before but were happy to see them again, I can't complain, most of the kids movies are very well made.

Absolutely - many times when I am by myself I still pick a kids movie to watch, as now they are done so well and on two levels so everyone can enjoy and very powerful messages within them..

• Moderators

Go rent Ratatouille. No seriously...it ain't bad at all.

I have it, but haven't watched it yet. When I bought my PS3, it came with about 10 Bluray movies, then I picked up a few more when I bought my receiver, then one or two others along the way. My kids have watched it, but I have not with them. Hulk, Iron Man, Pirates, and Transformers are about the only ones I have watched on bluray so far. Waiting till I get the projector.

Youthman,

Great to hear that everyone is enjoying to setup. It's always nice when you can put a movie on and have the entire family sitting around. Yea wait till you get the screen and see what the kids reaction is after that.

I take it you moved the second set of seats into the room? So what two rows of three seats, thats great. You are going to have to change your avatar once you have the room finished.

James

• Moderators

I take it you moved the second set of seats into the room? So what two rows of three seats, thats great. You are going to have to change your avatar once you have the room finished.

Thanks James. Actually, the second row is in the master bedroom in the sitting area for now. I need to build a rear riser before moving the rear seats into the room. No need to move the seats twice. My son was at a friends so it was me, my wife and our three girls curled up together on the three seats and a dining room chair that we brought in. I'll change my avatar once the front wall is finished and the projector is installed. Hope to have most everything setup with income tax refund.

I had a friend's son over a few weeks ago to watch Transformers on HD-DVD. He was pretty impressed, loved the LFE and the overall sound. I just picked it up on Blu-Ray and it blows away the HD-DVD version. Too bad I didn't have it when he came over before.

As the proud father of a six year old son I've got to say I'm always impressed with the surrond sound on some of the movies we enjoy together.

I love that picture. I just purchased a 52" TV so when you can upgrade enjoy. My son's eyes were huge when he saw the new TV sitting in the living room.

And the rubbermaid tub... I love it!!!

I had my Academy on top of my 36" tub TV and when I bought the 52" LCD I obviously couldn't put it on top of my TV so next thing you know I'm in the garage looking for something to make it work. Ends up a cement block and two 2x6 scraps of wood wrapped in a black towel set on top of my entertainment system with the TV on top of it was a great fit. It was just the right height to clear my Academy and puts the TV at the perfect level. Trashy I know but it will work until I figure out what I want for my next entertainment center. Actually you don't even notice it unless you really look. Maybe I'll save $300-500 dollars on a new entertainment center and use it for another set of Forte IIs which I'll appreciate more!!!

• Moderators

And the rubbermaid tub... I love it!!!

You know you are jealous. [:P] Yeah, temporary fixes I can deal with. I'm designing a website for a guy that builds custom entertainment centers. Here is the latest drawing he sent me for my room.

post-27215-1381943590294_thumb.jpg

Just so you know I'm with you not teasing you. My confession of the concrete block & 2x6s wrapped in a black towel probably clued you in to that. Temporary fix until I figure out whats next. But like I said its not noticeable behind the Academy so I'm starting to accept it and think my money could be spent elsewhere like another pair of speakers!!! Funny the compromises we make to get what we want...