Digital Camera

SilverSport

...want something more than a point and shoot digital...want to take the usual family shots at get togethers and whatnot...would like to finally get serious about photography but...back in the day I had a whizz bang 35MM SLR that was a bit intimidating to use...and honestly, I didn't put out the effort...looking at the Nikon D60 DSLR as Nikon is extremely aggressive with their pricing...as well as the 4/3s sensor Panasonic Lumix G1...smaller...more like a point and shoot with lenses you can change out...held one today and really liked it but the prices were stuck at MSRP...I looked at Canon and they are higher priced for a similar to the Nikon camera (Rebel XSi) and the Nikon felt better in my hands...don't want anything too heavy or lots of lenses that will keep me from really using the camera...that has been the problem in the past...

Thoughts all you photo people...

Bill

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...thanks guys...if I went Nikon it would probably be the D60 with the vibration Reduction lenses...the D90 is pricey but I could use my older Nikon lenses but I am not sure if this would be a real plus or not (35MM AF 28-70 and 80-210)...preciate the input...

Bill

• Moderators

ok...thanks guys...if I went Nikon it would probably be the D60 with the vibration Reduction lenses...the D90 is pricey but I could use my older Nikon lenses but I am not sure if this would be a real plus or not (35MM AF 28-70 and 80-210)...preciate the input...

Bill

I would rather have an 18-70 the wider angle lens is really nice, the VR lenses are nice I just got one a while back, they work well.

When I had film cameras I never had a wide angle, when I got back into it a little with digital the D80 came with a 18-135 lens, I added the 70-300 VR not long ago. I never thought I would like the wider lens as much as I do, if you got the 18-70 (I think that's it ) you would probably use it more than any other you buy.

I think you old 28-70 would be about 42- 105 on the digital camera, I think I got that right, it's new year's eve and had a drink or two so the math could be off. [:S]

The 70-300 VR was $450 online, if you get the 18-70 VR with the camera you could always get the 70-300VR later, that would put you at 18-300 between the two lenses. Read the reviews on the 70-300VR it's rated very well everywhere. Were not talking prime lenses here but were also not talking prime prices either, but good quality to get you started.

One last thing the D90 just came out in the last few months, it's a step up from the D80...so the prices of the D80 has dropped, you may find a nice deal on a D80 which is better than the D60.

Michael came down here for a week and he brought his Nikon, that is what got me wanting to get back into pic's again, it had been 15 years since I played around with a camera. ( I got a cheaper version than his after looking at prices ) [;)]

Thanks Michael I forgot how much I liked it.

Hey dtel...howeasy is the D80 to use for someone, say like me, who doesn't have a lot of photographic knowledge at this point...to use easily...I know the D80 is better than the D60 and the D90 better still...but as you move up in price...you move up in weight and then I fear reach a point where I won't bring the camera around because it becomes a boat anchor...I think the kit lens is 18-55...

I can get the D60 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses for $699 from Wolf/Ritz...save 10% and no sales tax if I use PayPal...D8- with a ED IF AFS 18-135 is about $749...

The Panny is about $699-$799 but there is some thought that the 4/3rds sensor slightly smaller cameras will be the next breakthrough...lighter and smaller than an SLR but with changeable lenses...electronic viewfinder (EVF) and 3 inch view screen like on a point and shoot...no mirror so no mirror lockup time or to move out of the way for using without the viewfinder...

Bill

Bill,

I'm definatly not a camera whiz. we have a point and shoot type, 8 mp digital Panasonic with the Leica lens and we are very happy with the images that it produces, as well as the prints that we have made with it. We have enlarged 11 x 14, 8 x 10's and 5 x 7's and the quality of the prints are very good. Good luck!

gonzp...thanks...I was able to track down the elusive Lumix G1 at a larger Wolf Camera yesterday...I have been to 7 Ritz/Wolf camera stores in the last two days...feeling out the sales associates on info and looking for the G1...each store told me the next had it...I wanted to learn a bit too so I treked from store to store...I learned a few things...

There are a few people who seem knowledgable about cameras and will give you a mildly to unbiased opinion on camera gear...there are a few more people who have no idea what they sell and want to sell you the most expensive items they have to make the sale...I knew more than the sales people did about the Panasonic but it is a newer type camera...

I looked at the Nikon D40...slightly improved D60...older model D80 but the start of their prosumer? cameras and the D90...Canon, Sony didn't feel as nice as the Nikon or Panny...and I thought when I started this I would be buying a Canon...Olympus felt nice (similar to the Panny) but they aren't a competitive in this price/feature area I feel...so...

Thanks for the insight...keep it coming if you have anything to add or share...

Bill

When you decide on a camera go to B&H photo to get pricing. A very reputable dealer and excellent pricing.

photo.net has some excellent articles on chosing a 35mm camera system. Here's a good one. http://photo.net/equipment/building-a-digital-slr-system/

My personal preference is with the Canon line these days, but the Canon and Nikon are both excellent. It's preference more than anything. If you have older Nikon lenses you'll be able to use them and want to use them, so that may dictate your decision.

can get the D60 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses for $699 from
Wolf/Ritz...save 10% and no sales tax if I use PayPal...D8- with a ED
IF AFS 18-135 is about $749...

two things- do we know what all those numbers and letters mean? No mention of the F-stops. Let's slow waaaaay down before taking the plunge, mmk?

secondly, it's much better to have a single zoom that covers everything you need, saves $$, weight, and keeps dust (the enemy) out of camera body.

Bill,

Well you started off in the right direction. At least you went out and tried different cameras to see for yourself what felt right in your hands. To bad it ended up being a Nikon... [;)]

I have a Canon XTi and just started with the kit lens and a prime lens. I got the 50mm 1.8 and have shot with it a lot, plus for $75 or so when I got it, it was a bargain. I just recently got myself a new lens for Christmas the Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L EF IS.

Is this the one you are looking at? I know Michael has a lot more knowledge with the Nikon family. Someone mentioned to look at BH but the price from Wolf Camera beats their price.

Whichever Nikon you decide on take baby steps and everything will fall into place.

James

• Moderators

VR is for wussies (sorry dtel)

That's me, boyfriend, that's why I got the 70-300 VR it was a little more butch, just something about a large lens ! [:|]

Really the VR helps with the 300 mm, at 300mm it's hard to stop all camera movement and the VR really helps.

When you can take a pic at a shutter speed of 60 or even 30 and have it clear at 300mm standing without bracing yourself on anything , that's what I like about the VR, although I do get the urge to wear wussy looking clothes................that may explain the pink camera bag ?

Just noticed something when you spell check Colterphoto 1 it gives you this as a replacement....telephoto [:o]