Buying PS3 for BD player - Best Deal? HELP!

HudsonValleyNoah

That's what I want, help is what I need. lol

What is the best price out there today?

I will not be playing the games, just want to start BD'ing.

I am not afraid of eBay, now that PayPal has made every deal a "get your $$ back if needed".

Any thing good about buying a PS3 on eBay?

Regular retail?

With so many choices, I feel lost.

What do you think

Thanks, Noah

hey Noah, i'm like you i don't want to play games plus we already have a ps3. every ad i see its 399 plus 25 for the tv remote. i just went thru the same thing yesterday with my son. he has a ps3 in the basement and i told him i want a blu ray for my main listening room. went to hhgreg yesterday and bought the stand alone sony 550 for $359. couldn't be happier

It depends. On eBay you can get the original PS3s that were backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone games. The original ones were the 20gig and 60gig versions. The newer ones aren't backwards compatible to the older game systems. If that isn't a big deal to you I'd recommend buying one new from a local store. I'd go in there and say that Store X in town is selling the PS3s for the same price so why should I buy one here? You might get a gift card from the store that you can use towards a DVD/Blu-Ray remote, second controller, movie, game, etc.

Noah:

I was in the same situation as you are a couple of months ago and fell into a good deal at Walmart that I couldn't pass up.

They had a great deal on a PS3 bundle and I was able to get the 80gig Console, the BR remote, 1 game, and 1 movie for $425.00 plus a Walmart Blue $75.00 on line gift certificate. The catch is that you can only redeem the gift certificate for on line purchases.

I see that they still have a lot of bundles to choose from, but I didn't see the $75 gift card offer,

My intentions were not to use it for gaming either but since I've been dragging my feet on buying a HDTV, I've been playing some of the Demo games from Sony's on-line store and I'm afraid to admit that I'm getting to like playing console games. Coming from a hardcore PC gamer, this is a little hard to admit.

I did spend a lot of time weighing the Pro's and Con's of just getting a BR player as opposed to getting a PS3. The deciding factor was what the PS3 offers so many more options (Internet, USB capabilities, occasional gaming, wireless, music and movie server communication abilities, etc) to my HT environment.

Good luck in your adventure, Noah!!!

JJ

Hi....HVN......If you have alittle patients....Wait for the oppo BDP-83 to come out...I think there talking about a month or two before its release date...It's suppose to be the first universal player....I was think of getting the panasonic or ps3 but i think iam going to wait for oppo's to come out....i just hope i have enought patients myself....lol......but good luck on your adventure...

M&M http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

I was thinking of going the PS3 route too, but in the end I just decided to save money and I bought a Panasonic stand alone that got excellent reviews. I play computer games, and if the PS3 had had more titles I was interested in as a gaming system I probably would've gone that route, but there weren't enough features that I wanted/needed for the $170 difference to justify PS3.

Good luck in whatever you decide! [:)]

as far as price shopping goes, try criagslist. i have seen several ps3's on there, some new for great prices. the best price i saw was for a 60gb new in box for $250. normally the used market has a better deal because they throw in games, controllers, etc, but if you are not interested in that, then maybe spend a few extra dollars and getting it new would be a better option.

good luck

not trying to hijack...

beserk....man i bet that oppo player will be awesome! that has been the one name thrown around here for awesome players (dvd). i summited my name for the release date. i may have to buy me a blu-ray player finally.....

not trying to hijack...

beserk....man i bet that oppo player will be awesome! that has been the one name thrown around here for awesome players (dvd). i summited my name for the release date. i may have to buy me a blu-ray player finally.....

Hell ya...I cant wait till she comes out....iam actually drooling...LOL[:D]

not trying to hijack...

i have the oppo 980, and if it is atleast as good as that, then it will be your best buy if you are not gaming. of course, it depends on the selling price!