Ella Fitzgerald Rules!

Batmans Robin

Ella Fitzgerald is the gold standard when it comes to interpretations of the American jazz canon. Other singers may have excellent rendidtions of particular songs, Billie Holiday or Dinah Washington come to mind, but Ella's readings of standards is unsurpassed. Her Songbook series is a must have for anyone interested in jazz. For an excellent overview check out her "Best of the Songbooks". album_details.php?tui_id=de1d7c9c1e3ddf9

http://www.gracenote.com/search/album_details.php?tui_id=de1d7c9c1e3ddf98&tui_tag=

As a 19 year old, grade 13 student, I went down to Ontario Place to see her live on a very cold June night. I wore my light winter jacket.

I just closed my eyes and enjoyed. My parents couldn't figure out why I went, but they never her Ella sing live. Quite a change from my usual disco and rock, but heavenly.

I was equally blessed to have the late Oscar Peterson receive an honourary doctorate from the University of Toronto when I received my Bachelor of Education degree. Education was teamed with the music department. He graced us with 4 songs and I just closed my eyes and took in the beauty of his music.

At 50, these are two performances that I still remember. Ella and Sachmo, yes.