Crossover Frequencies?

ToolGod65

Hello, newb here. I am running an onkyo tx-sr605 and a pair of f-3's, a c-2, a pair of s-1's, and a sub-12. The cutoff for each is as follows

F-3 35Hz

C-2 82Hz

S-1 95Hz

Sub-12 24Hz

I have heard you should just set all speakers to 80Hz but I have also read on these forums that you should use the +/-3 rule when setting the frequencies. Can anyone give me their insight into this. Much appreciated.

That seems to be the consensus. I ran the Audessey set up and it set up my F-3's at Full Range, C-2 at 150Hz, S-1's at 150Hz, and my Sub-12 at 80Hz. With that wide of a range I was thinking that I might lose some of the soundtrack. I guess I should also ask why I wouldn't want the front speakers set to Full Range when they have dual 8" woofers to handle a little more bass and mids?

Hello, newb here. I am running an onkyo tx-sr605 and a pair of f-3's, a c-2, a pair of s-1's, and a sub-12. The cutoff for each is as follows

F-3 35Hz

C-2 82Hz

S-1 95Hz

Sub-12 24Hz

I have heard you should just set all speakers to 80Hz but I have also read on these forums that you should use the +/-3 rule when setting the frequencies. Can anyone give me their insight into this. Much appreciated.

Based on your quoted -3dB points, I'd set your F3s to 80Hz, C2 to 90Hz, S1 to 100Hz and Sub-12 to 80Hz.

That seems to be the consensus. I ran the Audessey set up and it set up my F-3's at Full Range, C-2 at 150Hz, S-1's at 150Hz, and my Sub-12 at 80Hz. With that wide of a range I was thinking that I might lose some of the soundtrack. I guess I should also ask why I wouldn't want the front speakers set to Full Range when they have dual 8" woofers to handle a little more bass and mids?

Setting a speaker to full range is usually only done when you don't have a sub. You want a sub to take care of 80Hz and under bass, that's what they're designed for. Your receiver won't have to amplify the deepest of bass frequencies, allowing it to use its watts for midbass and up which are much easier watts for a receiver to handle. If you want to experiment a little with the F3s response, go ahead and give it a try. Start at 80Hz and work down from there. Try not and have too big of an overlap between your F3s and your Sub-12. Meaning: If you end up setting your F3s at 70Hz, don't set your Sub-12 much higher than 70Hz or their output frequencies can overlap and sometimes cancel each other out.

I always set it to 80Hz for movies, regardless of my mains.

Interesting.

Would you suggest 80Hz to Bill (Hendrix) ???

Confused

Yep...but I'd also recommend getting more sub if he's worried about his mains having lower distortion. [;)] I think one obtains more consistent timber balance when using the same xover used in the studio. I also think it's less distracting when all the speakers cross at the same frequency - multiple frequencies seems to make the sub stick out more to me - probably because of the guaranteed timber shifts from going between different drivers. Making it one shift across the board seems a lot cleaner especially when the studio dude is compensating for that shift in the studio (since that's what he's hearing too).

I think crossing mains over at 80Hz is good for HT, everything else accordingly usually 80Hz though. I change setting based on activities, 2 ch listening, I cross sub over at 55 Hz and set the Mains to "large" or "full range". When listening to Multi channel music, the front 3 are set to full range, and crossed over low again at about 55 Hz.

For heavier/action packed movies I'll turn the fronts to large to enjoy extra punch. I change setting pretty much on a daily basis depending on activity, how the album was mixed, how the source is mixed. How I want things to sound, sometimes I like the bright in your face sound of a lead guitar, and a ripping trumpet, and others the mellow buuum of a double bass, and the relaxing sing of the low end of the piano.

Depends on how you feel and what you like.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd also recommend getting more sub if he's worried about his mains having lower distortion

I forgot that he had those distortion generators...

I think one obtains more consistent timber balance when using the same xover used in the studio. I also think it's less distracting when all the speakers cross at the same frequency

Interesting comments, I never thought of it that way.

I think crossing mains over at 80Hz is good for HT, everything else accordingly usually 80Hz though. I change setting based on activities, 2 ch listening, I cross sub over at 55 Hz and set the Mains to "large" or "full range". When listening to Multi channel music, the front 3 are set to full range, and crossed over low again at about 55 Hz.

Me too. [:D]