Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark

Chicago_Pete

I was buying LPs from a local guy who inherited about 1,200 audiophile albums. He sold me the original 6-Eye Kind Of Blue and the 180 gram reissue for $15 each. He obviously didn't know what he had. Maybe the reissue I got was from a bad lot but I think the original is just better. I got a lot of nice Japanese pressings from him and every one was perfect! Occasionally an original Blue Note would be there and he sold me those for $20 or less. I made out pretty well. He thought an LP had to have an OBI strip to be of value.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Court and Spark is a top shelf album on vinyl or on CD. I like it much better than Blue, although many prefer Blue. If you like Joni Mitchell her Miles of Ailes live album is an excellent collection of her work and a little more bouncy and upbeat, give it a try.

Thanx, Russ

I was buying LPs from a local guy who inherited about 1,200 audiophile albums.  He sold me the original 6-Eye Kind Of Blue and the 180 gram reissue for $15 each.  He obviously didn't know what he had.  Maybe the reissue I got was from a bad lot but I think the original is just better.  I got a lot of nice Japanese pressings from him and every one was perfect!  Occasionally an original Blue Note would be there and he sold me those for $20 or less.  I made out pretty well.  He thought an LP had to have an OBI strip to be of value.

Does he have any lps left? [;)]

Excellent discussion of the kind I would love to see more of, be it of any genre. Ilike it because we've talked at some depth regarding the artist, various works of the artist and also the quality of some of her recordings and pressings etc.

I'm not going to buy a 180g of Blue, I'll stick to my 1971 version I bought at the Coop in Harvard Sq. But I will go buy a copu of C&S.

Thanks to all for the contris to this thread.

Joni's Blue was always my fav, espcially the River song, which I always equate to the Connecticut River along Rt 5 in Vermont leaving Bellows Falls, but that's just the romantic in me.

I'm looking forward to her C&S, as much of a Joni fan as I am, no one ever emphsized that I should get that album. Of course back then the amount of new great music coming out month to month seemed to overwhelm my pocketbook. Maybe thats simply a symptom of youth on all fronts.

You made me pull out my original pressing of "Blue" with all this talk about it. If the reissue is that much better than the first pressing I'm jumpin' on it because my early copy sounds pretty good.

I love threads like this. They give me a reason to pull stuff that I've forgotten about.

Blue is NOT one of those. The reissue is WAY better. I have about 4 originals, none of which are in great condition but you can tell anyway.

I like "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" just fine and I also second the motion on "Miles of Aisles" with the caveat that the live performances MAY or MAY NOT be more to a fan's liking than the studio versions of the same...but that is the nature of live performances, yes?? BTW, I have all of these from her first (often called "Clouds") thru "Hissing" on orignal vinyl pressings. I told you I am a fan! I even have "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter", which to me is her weakest effort of the group!

"I've looked at life from both sides now, from in and out and still, somehow, it's life's illusions I recall, I really don't know life at all..."

I've been looking to score a DCC pressing but I can't seem to find an open copy and the price of a sealed copy is absurd.

Look for two G-Man! The boss lady and I are pretty fond of C&S. I guess we've had the original for over 20 years. In fact, we actually played it Saturday night along with Tapestry, Killing Me Softly, Rubber Soul and finally Mark Don & Mel. I set the WT up and went diggin'.[:D]

Fini - Yes, I also like to pull out Hissing every once in a while. I admit though that over the past couple years, Blue, Clouds and C&S get the most play.

Boom - No problem. If I can find one, you can have my Nautilus pressing which is VERY good. I'll bring it to DE when we get together in a couple weeks just for fun.

..back in '73 Joni was my woman when my own old lady split

she helped me through some very tough times

Thank you Joni.

She was a lot of people's woman, according to reports.

I read the David Crosby biography a while back. She was mentioned in his memories of the early California days while recording the first CSN.'

Apparently clothing was somewhat optional around the crashpad in southern California at that time. A beautiful woman, with wonderful talent and a beautiful voice.

Great female folk singers back then, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Melaney, Laura Nyro, Carole King, Bonnie Raitt. But Joni was always my favorite.

Steve L, the funny thing is that she wrote "Woodstock" and she wasn't even there!!!! But she had the experience down.

She stayed in New York as I understand she was still hanging with the CSNY guys, but had a gig in NY. But it didn't matter, there physically or not, we were all there in spirit.