Not Enough Emphasis on Video Here

MBM135

I realize this is an "audio forum" but tonight I realized how little emphasis there is on the "video" side of HT.

I actually went to a movie tonight. I realized that I can recreate the audio portion in my living room--my system has no trouble making the house shake etc. But, my TV is way to small...32 inch Sony. What is missing is the Widescreen, baby. I believe the whole idea of HT is to recreate the cinema effect "at home." Can't do that with a 32 incher unless your in a closet.

Time to start looking at BIG TVs. Got the sound part down. Also realized tonight that going to a movie is a PITA (Pain In The A#@). haven't been to one in over a year. Always watch at home. Here are the things that suck about going to the theater...8 reasons to wait for the rental:

1. Lines.

2. Popcorn and a Coke is $10.

3. Theater almost empty but someone will always sit right in front of us even though there are 300 empty seats.

4. Seats are uncomfortable.

5. Forced to sit through 5 previews.

6. Babies. A guy brought a baby to see "Black Hawk Down". I think the baby was in Dolby DTS too...

7. Can't drink beer.

8. Babysitter was $15.

Cost of Evening was $40. Cost to own DVD when released is $20.

Need to get the BIG TV...More of you folks need to talk about your video stuff!

MM

KG4's (Forte II's enroute)

KV-3

SS-1s rear

Sony 32 inch Trinitron

H/K AVR110

Sony DVPS360

Denon DCM 370

Reasons TO go to the movies:

1. Communal atmosphere at big premieres (in line and during the film).

2. Get out of the dang house once in a while

3. No damn telephone calls (no cell phone).

4. Love to seen the little dating teenies in love.

5. There is no way I am waiting another 9 months to see (insert name of long-anticipated film here).

6. Britney's boobs are ten feet tall!!!

Ok,

That is a fair assessment of this board - there isn't a lot of discussion on video. So to get things started I will point out three things:

1. Don't buy a RPTV as you can buy a DLP for about the same price and have a far larger image.

2. Do yourself a favor and buy the Sharp 9000. It is the best DLP on the market, period. Careful analysis of shopping options can net this projector for 60% of retail.

3. With a 106 inch screen and the Sharp, you will sit back and wonder why you would ever want to go to a 'real' theater - Britney's 10 ft. boobs (and incredible midriff) not withstanding.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

I am not to strong about spending big cash on a TV,I will replace my old 27" Toshiba CinemaSeries(cinema my @$$)by a 16/9 HDTV Toshiba this year.

I like spending on high end DVD players like the Pioneer DVAX10,but I will probably not spend over 4 grand on a TV! Go figure

TheEAR(s) Now theears

crash,

VERY interesting what you say...

anyone else agrees with this?

up to now, what I've seen points to the consensus that at equal price, a 16/9 HDTV will offer beter picture than a front projector, even though the projector will offer a larger image.

I personally have always had a bias fro projectors, since the image can be so big, like at the movies. did anyone try both options in depth? it would be nice to come to a consensus about this, wouldn't it?

Hi Seb,

There is a huge variation in the quality of projectors so you have to do a lot of research and comparing.

I was dead set on a HD RPTV and have looked at some of the best from Mitsubishi and Pioneer.

Upon seeing the Sharp 9000 image, they became yesterdays news - the image is extraordinary and there is no substitute for cubic inches.

The Sharp uses a 16/9 LCD and projects a 1080i (among others) image. It is HD. Oh yeah, and the Sharp costs less.

I can't imagine buying a HD RPTV unless there were space constraints or I was forced to buy at the low end of the price range.

Ears,

You can buy one hell of a projector or HD RPTV for that matter under your $4K price point. Toshiba's 16/9 offerings are quite nice.

For those interested, here is a link which compares RPTV's to DLP projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=big_screen_tvs

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200