OT: Obama Screwed Up!!

Mighty Favog

I thought he forgot the remainder of the line as well. (Chief Justice Roberts restated the line exactly as before). This was a pretty small mistake and one quite understandable given the situation. I agree with JB, he's our President now. Let's give him our support and wait to be critical over things that actually matter.

It looks like they both muffed. I wonder if they will have to repeat the oath since the exact wording is in the constitution. Oh well, it was the first time for both of them and they'll have another chance to get it right four years from now. [;)]

Actually wasn't it John Roberts who got it wrong...

I think that's right. Robert's phrasing didn't sound right to me, either, and appeared to throw Obama: http://blogs.abcnews.com/legalities/2009/01/chief-justice-f.html. Roberts's "to" was in the wrong place. Although you could see in Obama's face that he immediately heard an error, he didn't know on the spot how to deal with it.

Chief Justice Fumbles -- ABC News Correspondent Jan Crawford Greenburg

January 20, 2009 12:45 PM

Chief Justice John Roberts is a man who has made very few public missteps in his life -- but he appears to have made one when swearing in Barack Obama. Roberts slightly flubbed the oath, which then tripped up Obama.

The oath is contained in the Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
But when Roberts swore in Obama, he flipped some of the words, saying: "I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully."

Here's the transcript:

ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?
OBAMA: I am.
ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...
OBAMA: I, Barack...
ROBERTS: ... do solemnly swear...
OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...
ROBERTS: ... that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...
OBAMA: ... that I will execute...
ROBERTS: ... faithfully the office of president of the United States...
OBAMA: ... the office of president of the United States faithfully...
ROBERTS: ... and will to the best of my ability...
OBAMA: ... and will to the best of my ability...
ROBERTS: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
OBAMA: ... preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
ROBERTS: So help you God?
OBAMA: So help me God.
ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

The actual oath: Each president recites the following oath, in accordance with Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Obama froze up because he realized he wasn't on the TelePrompter. The same thing happened on his campaign, even though he gave the same stump speech thousands of times. When his TelePrompter would go bad, he couldn't even fake it. He would just stop dead until it was fixed.

It's really funny to see people trying to cover for Obama because Roberts said "to" instead of "of" -- nice try but won't wash.