After 5 years of waiting...

Nuggits

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've always wanted to own a pair of Klipsch RF-63's but, they were just a bit out of my price range (I'm still 17) and I've been looking at them for almost 5 years straight so far (that's right, since I was 12)

I was about to purchase a pair of RF-82's because I don't have any speakers that can provide any decent quality of sound. I have a pair of headphones, which are almost 80% blown out and provide me with nothing but listening fatigue, and headaches (not to mention the distortion, ugh). However, this week I found a pair of RF-63's at Vanns in Cherry for $599/each. Brand new, sealed in the box, with free shipping!

Over the weekend, I found a dealer locally and listened to them, and I must say, I'm impressed. They were powered with a whimpy little Onkyo amp with 18 gauge wire, but still sounded quite impressive. (Better than a lot of setups I've heard before)

My question is, what amplifier would you use to power these sweet mamas? I currently have a Harman/Kardon AVR-146. I ordered a pair, and they're coming in about a week, so, I'd like to get to know as much as I can about them.

My room I wouldn't say is ideal, but, rough estimates ....it's about 18 or so feet wide, and 14 ft long, with an 8 foot ceiling.

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I visit the forums a lot, to find out some technical information and I must say that this is an awesome community, and I do hope that I'll be able to participate more as time school, and my internship work out.

welcome to the forum.. Congratulations on the RF63's.. 5 years is a long time waiting.

As for AVR, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer and HK are all used by many of the forum members here.

So pretty much try are few, have fun and let your ears and wallet be the judge.

You mentioned "They were powered with a whimpy little Onkyo" well when purchasing an AVR keep in mind that if it has pre outs you can then later upgrade to a separate power amp and use the AVR as a pre.

If you are after power amps I know that Emotiva is making a lot of noise (in a positive way) on this site.

Welcome.

Since your only 17 and money is tight. You will be just fine for now, with the HK 146. You will have no problem running them with that receiver.

Then save up and get either another HK or Onkyo.

I too like the Emotiva brand...............

Congrats and good Luck. I know you feel just like this Bouncy

My question is, what amplifier would you use to power these sweet mamas?

Well, I would use a NAD T785 but that's simply because that's what I've got.

I currently have a Harman/Kardon AVR-146.

Stick with what you have for the time being. 40 watts per channel in stereo mode will provide plenty of power until you research further. They are 99dB sensitivity. You can quite adequately run them on a pretty low powered amp.

Since your new relatively new at the hi-fi game and since patience isn't a problem, you could either get better gear when funds allow OR you could wait a REALLY long time and just get your dream end-all be-all system.

I did it the prior way and all it did for me was throwing out fubar'ed $100 EQ's and scrounging for speaker drivers that were discontinued 4 years later. There was a certain amount of things learned doing it this way though. I was able to put together a mish-mash system in my study just because I had that much leftover gear. :)

I don't have my end-all be-all system yet but it's darn close....

To enjoyment! :D

Question: I noticed that a couple people have uploaded some unboxing pics to either here, or Flickr, or some other service.

FedEx tells me that they're going to be here on Monday, what do you think; should I do some unboxing pics too?

wow you're a patient person, you waited almost 30% of your life for a pair of speakers.

and now 70% to enjoy them Big Smile

To enjoyment! Beer:D Question: I noticed that a couple people have uploaded some unboxing pics to either here, or Flickr, or some other service. FedEx tells me that they're going to be here on Monday, what do you think; should I do some unboxing pics too?

wow you're a patient person, you waited almost 30% of your life for a pair of speakers.

and now 70% to enjoy them Big Smile

If you mean pics of your speakers upon arrival and then pics of you unboxing them and then into your allocated space.. then absolutely... there was some great pics of a Belle that was delivered and positioned recently. In 2ch section. Great photos.