HDMI cables - are the higher priced ones worth the difference?

winchester21

I sold a ridiculously expensive Nordost Silver Screen HDMI cable a while back when I needed the money. Final straw was the squinting needed to differentiate between it and a very inexpensive Monster. The Nordost had better color saturation and edge definition when comparing the two on BluRay, but not worth the cost or the pain of its inflexible jacket. I've since gone all Dayton HDMI's from Parts-Express, bought a bunch when I went all HDMI in my HT and love them. 2m cable there is about $5 and nicely made, works great and a tremendous value.

May I ask how you were able to do a comparison between the two cables?

May I ask how you were able to do a comparison between the two cables?

Using two HDMI inputs on my TV, I had to switch manually behind the BluRay player repeating scenes from films that I knew well. A couple of friends familiar with HT were invited over and we all came to the same conclusion. Definitely not the most scientific approach perhaps, but it served my purposes and saved me a load of money. The Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds concert at Radio City on BluRay was the most telling and showed the better cable for what it was, however slight the difference.

There is the other conclusion that could have been reached: the Nordost was just average and the Monster total crap.

Well, I should have gone further in my explanation that once I purchased the Dayton's, I compared them to the Monster and couldn't tell them apart. The Nordost Silver Screen is probably the finest HDMI cable on the market, and at its price it should be. Several reviewers have raved about the Silver Screen and I could see why, but maybe I'm not a video junkie quite the way I am an audio junkie, to me the Nordost lacked value. Their audio cables on the other hand, I can whole heartedly recommend.

I ended up buying the cables featured on Audioholics. They seem to be top of the line stuff at a very reasonable in price. It is obvious from the reviews offered and opinions expressed that the monsters are a big box rip off for suckers. Many thanks to the regulars who take the time save the rookies like me from making dumb decisions based on BS ads and wasting our cash. Best regards- Chris

Don't waste your money on expensive cables (I've been there), they're not worth the money and in most cases there's no difference at all except the price. If you do a quick search you will find many articles and tests that really drives this point home including speaker wire. If you check your local big lots, depending on the day, you can find quality cables cheap.

Check with the Monster cable website, or a monster cable dealer. After you give them all of the pertenent information needed for their formula, they will give you the length and grade of HDMI cable that you need. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Welcome B,and.....that's some funny sh!tt....