Amps on a budget......

tommyboy

I just got off the Emotiva website, and the sale is already over. But, I was reading/looking around, and have a question. Which would be better to get; seeing as they would come to about the same price. Should I get the XPA-3 and run it to the front 3 speakers, or get two UPA-2's and bi amp my F2's? that would be pushing 250 watts to each one. I'm sure it would make a vast difference with 2 channel, but what about HT? I pretty much use my system 50/50...............

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the Emotiva website, and the sale is already over. But, I was reading/looking around, and have a question. Which would be better to get; seeing as they would come to about the same price. Should I get the XPA-3 and run it to the front 3 speakers, or get two UPA-2's and bi amp my F2's? that would be pushing 250 watts to each one. I'm sure it would make a vast difference with 2 channel, but what about HT? I pretty much use my system 50/50...............

do the xpa3 the reason I say the xpa3 is because the 200 wpc will be better for all applications IMO than 2 UPA-2s. Keep in mind that it was said earlier somewhere in the post I may have said it..... biamping the UPA2 for 1 channel will "NOT" yeild you the same performance as 250 wpc. 125watts + 125 watts does not = 250 watts. This is because of the passive crossover networks inside the speaker. You'd be better off with 200 wpc on the front 3.

More about the bi-amping, because each channel is only rated at having 125 watts available that's all that's made available for the speaker. You get 125 watss to the low end and another 125 watts to the low end, this doesn't give you the same head room as the 200 wpc or the assumed 250 wpc you think you'll be getting. It might help improve the low end but in my expereince with the passive biamping is that it actually made the top end a little harsh at higher volumes.

I would stick with the 200 wpc in the xpa 3. I had by RF 5's passive bi-amped with my onkyo and went to a 200wpc amp and the difference was night and day with response to music and HT. So I had 130 watts bi-amped on my RF5's and much prefer the sound of the 200wpc than I did the passive bi-amp way. I would stick with more power and get the bi-amp idea out of your mind unless you plan on taking the passive networks out of the speaker or add an active crossover between the amps and the speakers which is another investment that you girlfriend may not take very lightly too.

The conversation would go You: "Well I got my new amp but now I need another piece of equipment to get the most benfit from it" Her: "What will the benefit to me be?" You: "Baby it will be great you'll hear the differen....." Her: "When do we get the pet insurance and how much will this "last" piece cost?...."

if you get the chance hop on the xpa-3 you'll enjoy having the front 3 pound.

OK, so you have a choice to go out and purchase a new Emotiva XPA 3 or 5 lay out 600-800 bucks, the one question that I've asked before and I'll ask again, is can you get more for the money buying a used amp that is in perfect working order and if so, what used amps would be in the running?