What is the best Crown amp for stereo listening currently being made

jacksonbart

The best Crown amp I ever had was an Amcron DC300A (is that a Crown) ......I think so.

Renowned for its sound quality....150 WPC....no fans....& about the same vintage as early KHorns & La Scalas. I realise you can't buy this anymore but a refurbed unit would be awesome.

If you don't need high power, the Crown D-45, even without Mark's mod to them. But you only get about 25wpc. For my LS at my listening level, excellent. Plus, there is no fan to worry about.

Bruce

Only 25 wpc? Sounds humorous when referring to Heritage speakersIndifferent IMHO, this "little" amp out of the box was easily 2-grades better sounding than the Crown XTi 1000 I had. With a bit of tinkering it rivals expensive McIntosh SS amps. My modded D-series sounded as good or better than my MC-2125, for example.

JB's running RF-7's so he does need the power. [:D]

Only 25 wpc? Sounds humorous when referring to Heritage speakersIndifferent IMHO, this "little" amp out of the box was easily 2-grades better sounding than the Crown XTi 1000 I had. With a bit of tinkering it rivals expensive McIntosh SS amps. My modded D-series sounded as good or better than my MC-2125, for example.

I understand this quite well, since I normally am using my Moondog 2A3 amps at 3.5watts.

I swapped in my Curcio modded Dynaco ST-70 and it... stinks compared to the 2A3. But that's just my opinion. I have one of Roy Mottram's upgrade boards on the way, and I am considering using 6L6 outputs with it. Pull those mids down a little more..

Bruce

The Panaflo # from Digikey is P9739-ND.

I haven't bought it cause I never hear the fan unless the system is off. I leave the QSC on. I read that same QSC forum thread. Bob Lee wasn't to concerned about no fan in the home with Klipsch.