ALK Type B build

bluesboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of those in my '73 corns........that Dean built me a few years ago. They make a big difference. I love mine. I can remember a friend coming over with his original stock corn nets and I helped him recap them with Sonicaps.....stock circuit. We opened up my corns and took out the ALK and replaced with the newly recapped stock network........and compared to the ALK in the other corn. It was a pretty ugly comparison. I can still remember the dramatic difference. For awhile we thought something might have been wrong with the stock one that I had just worked on.

I think this network is one of ALK's least recognized masterpieces. The problem is that to build them right they easily cost more than the corns themselves. Mine did. But the rewards are great. I never thought I made a bad decision spending the money on them.

I have a pair of those in my '73 corns........that Dean built me a few years ago. They make a big difference. I love mine. I can remember a friend coming over with his original stock corn nets and I helped him recap them with Sonicaps.....stock circuit. We opened up my corns and took out the ALK and replaced with the newly recapped stock network........and compared to the ALK in the other corn. It was a pretty ugly comparison. I can still remember the dramatic difference. For awhile we thought something might have been wrong with the stock one that I had just worked on.

I think this network is one of ALK's least recognized masterpieces. The problem is that to build them right they easily cost more than the corns themselves. Mine did. But the rewards are great. I never thought I made a bad decision spending the money on them.

Mark , thanks for the great post. Hcman will salivate when he reads this.

Don, I'm practically drooling on the keyboard. Must have been 2 years ago when you first offered to build these and I was very hesitant to mess with my Cornwalls. After poking around the Klipsch forum and reading other posts like Marks I am very anxious to upgrade.

Yes, they are the new version. I went back to an old email you sent me with a very nicely done spreadsheet of every part and the cost of 3 different pricing "levels". It was 6/14/2006 and the option with Auricaps which was the one I chose. The 62uf cap was an Audiocap PPMF.

Yes, they are the new version. I went back to an old email you sent me with a very nicely done spreadsheet of every part and the cost of 3 different pricing "levels". It was 6/14/2006 and the option with Auricaps which was the one I chose. The 62uf cap was an Audiocap PPMF.

Mark, have you ever listened to original? I was just wondering if the mod make a significant improvement in sound quality. BTW I just got a email from hcman and his networks have arrived. Maybe we'll get a report this weekend.

I've just installed one of the new ALK networks bluesboy built. I put on a Mono original Parlophone of the Beatles "Rubber Soul" to get a good comparison between the old and new crossovers. There is no comparison! It's like a vail has been lifted from the left speaker. The separation between instruments is amazing. Piano is especially clearer. My son, home from WSU for the weekend, said "the bass in the right speaker sounds blurred". He's right, the bass is much tighter with the new network. Only difficulty with the install was with the widthe of the spades, I had to trim a sliver from the outsides of each of them to get a fit on the new barrier strips. Don has been telling me for years that the sound of my Cornwalls had slowly deteriorated over the years. I had an idea he was right, but living with them every day it is hard to perceive such a slow decline. Well I'm no audio review journalist so just understand that the difference here would be evident to any novice. I'll try to post some pictures later. I'm gonna change out the other crossover now and listen to some more music. Thanks Don

I'm pleased we were able to bring old Cornwalls back to life. It was the least I could do considering how we abused the old girls back in the 70's. I'd like to thank Al Klappenberger for sharing his designs. Without Al K and a lot of other helpfull members on this forum a lot of my diy projects would not have been possible. Thanks everyone.